Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi there..

Hi, I'm a 51 year old female, wife and mom. I have been having severe sciatica pain for about 5 months. About 6 weeks ago after an MRI, I was diagnosed with a spinal tumor. Surgery is scheduled for Sept. 18. I am terrified. Not so much about the surgery itself (I had a total hip replacement one year ago) but the recovery is what is getting to me.

Any words of encouragement would be appreciated. I'm asking that you be honest and tell me how it will be. I know I'll survive it, but my mind won't stop!

I'm a horseback rider, and I'm hoping that after the 3 month recovery period, I'll be able to ride again?

Thanks all, it's nice to find a group to bounce ideas and thoughts off of.

• What kind of surgery is the doctor recommending? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but riding horses again, in three months? That is doubtful , it may be much longer, depending on the type of surgery, and the location.
    I would strongly encourage you to talk to your surgeon again prior to your surgery and ask any and as many questions as you feel you need to about the surgery, acute phase of recovery, post acute recovery, activities, restrictions, limitations....

• Thanks for the reply Sandi. I don't know what the surgeon calls this surgery. (He may have mentioned it, but I was in shock during our meeting). He will remove the spiny part of L4 and go in that way. He is then going to take out the tumor, hopefully he will get all of it. He said depending on how "sticky" it is, whether or not he can get the whole thing. I am meeting with the surgeon the day before surgery to go over everything. I have a list of questions for him. One of my questions is: will I be catheterized for this surgery? When I had my hip replaced, I literally had to pee every 15 minutes on the first night after surgery. I think it was all the fluids they put in me, but it was a pain for both the nurses and me to have to get up, unhook everything, and get to the bathroom in time. I was just wondering if I will have a catheter this time. Do they usually do that for this kind of surgery?
  • Spiny_MaloneSSpiny_Malone Posts: 225
    edited 08/28/2014 - 2:03 PM
    I've had a recent surgery. I would say if you can have your home accessible and have some easy ready meals would be good. Lots of tv probably in the first while without lifting... There's a bunch of information in here.. Plus the surgery buddies section to check out.
    I did talk to a man who had a tumour removed from his lower spine. It was all woven throughout the nerves and he was in surgery 8 hours. He was fully successful in recovery and happy for the chance. I liked his story and he gave me a bit of cheer for mine. Speedy recovery... But cautiously as I've learned in my spine journey and from talking to others. Take your time and give it time. Then give it a bit more. Peace!
  • In most spine surgeries, a catheter is inserted for at least the first 24 hours.
  • Should I get a toilet riser? I used one for my hip replacement recovery, and was wondering if it would be necessary for this surgery? Also, what about a walker? Thanks.
  • The hospital usually sends you home with a walker........and the toilet riser, I used one and was very, very grateful for it........the hospital may also give you one but you can get one pretty cheaply at most medical supply houses.
  • Thank you. My husband is the manager at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, and they have medical supplies such as toilet risers and walkers. :) I'll have him bring a few pieces home. I used a toilet riser and walker last year after my hip replacement surgery, and I am thankful for those! Will use them again.
  • I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is smooth.......
  • I've been reading a ton, and have a few more questions. I plan on asking my surgeon when I meet with him next Wednesday, but that's the day before surgery and I want to know now. 1) How will I sleep after surgery? I usually sleep on my side, so I assume that will be okay? What about when I wake up from surgery, will I be on my back?
    2) How do I sit after surgery (like on the way home from hospital, a 2 hour drive). Will I be able to sit without much discomfort?

Thanks so much!