Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L2,L3,L4;L5 bulging Discs and Nerve root S1 compressed

edited 08/26/2014 - 6:15 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a 67 year old man. I had L5 S1 surgery in 1981, due to a herniated dics. Surgery was successful....UNTIL this year !

I had Radical Robotic Prostate cancer surgery in 2004, due to very agressive cancer in the prostate. (Gleason scale 9+). Cancer free since then.

After that surgury, the top of my Thigh in my right leg was numb with occasional sharp pains, and continued for 9.5 years to date.

Early this year I started to have severe lower back and right leg shooting pains from waist to the foot on my right leg, along with burning within my leg. To date,The pain is 24/7..Dr. recommended Phyical therapy. The therapist, after examing me said because of severity of pain that I have, they can ONLY do Aqua therapy in a Rehab pool 3x week.
I am taking Ibuprofin 800mg, Gabapentin, and Hydrocodone 4x daily.. That only takes the edge off, Pain is still constant.
Dr. is recommending Epidernal Injections, to which I am scared of. I have a lot of anxiety over that. Surgery is the last resort and Im scared of that as well.
What can anyone tell me about those injections? They say that they can NOT put me to sleep for that, only a local shot to numb the area to be injected.
Also, What are the chances of success if I do elect surgery? (Since there are 4 bad discs and s1 nerve root pinched). ??????

HELP !!!!!

Any suggestions for a GREAT doctor that does this type of surgery in Dallas/Ft Woth Texas, or Oklahoma City ?????????????????
William David Perry

• Sandi, Thanks for that input. Ill check those sites too..I need all the help and advise I can get. Again, Thanks
    William David Perry
  • Anyone else who has had these Epideral Injections? Give me your inputs as to the pain involved in the procedure? My doctor is NOT suggesting any sedatives....UGH ! suggestions anyone?
    William David Perry
  • chautauqua78cchautauqua78 Posts: 1
    edited 08/27/2014 - 7:45 AM
    I have a 20-year history of spinal issues, originating with a laminectomy to repair a bulging disc in 1994. That surgery was successful, but my spine has continued to deteriorate and I am facing life-altering surgery to repair at minimum L1-S1. My dilemma, after visits with five (5) highly recommended neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons from EDITED TO REMOVE MEDICAL FACILITY NAMES no surgeon is recommending the extensive surgery on a 59-year-old male because I am not 'in enough pain' to warrant the potential risks of the procedure. I realize that's a long intro, but I suppose you could say I'm living in 'purgatory' waiting to get worse.

Post edited to remove medical facility names. Naming of specific physicians or medical facilities is NOT permitted on Spine Health. Please read the forum rules. http://www.spine-health.com/forum/forum-rules
    5.10 You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities names on Spine-Health.com.

• I had spinal fusion surgery in March 2014....L2 to L5 because of herniated disks and spinal stenosis. I could not walk or stand because unbearable pain down right leg from hip to ankle. I tried 3 steriod injections at 3 month intervals that I didn't think were bad at all as I had no pain at the injection site and it did stop the pain for the first day or two, but then, the pain came right back. I tried physical therapy which did not help. I also went to chiropractor for 10 treatments and that didn't help either. In desperation, I contacted a neurosurgeon...one of the best known worldwide. He recommended the spinal fusion surgery as my vertebrae were pinching my nerve roots which were causing me pain. I was in surgery for 6 hrs. and in hospital for 9 days, but had no pain at all in my legs...only pain from my incision. Since I llive alone, I then went to a skilled nursing facility for 2 weeks and then home. My daughter stayed with me for a week and then, I was on my own. I had to use a walker at first, but then got rid of it. It is a long, slow healing process but I have been free of pain ever since and was off pain meds after 3-4 weeks. I also took a muscle relaxer for a while. It has been 5 months and I do not take anything at all. I have been to physical therapy for 4 weeks and they said I was doing great and said to continue the exercises at home to keep strengthening my core which I do religiously every day. I can walk 2 miles with no problem and can stand up where at first I couldn't stand alone for more than a couple of minutes. Dr. says it takes a good year or more to get back to normal, but I am so glad that I did it. Actually, I had no other choice as I couldn't go on the way I was. Everyone kept telling me to not get discouraged at first because you think you'll never be able to stand up straight or walk straight like before, but it gradually keeps getting better. I might add that I am an 80 year old woman with no other health problems other than osteopena. I live alone and can take care of my house and do pretty much everything I did before my surgery, but I just have to take it easy and not overdo it. Please don't be scared of this. You are still pretty young and if the rest of your body is healthy, you will be okay. I'm sure your Dr. can advise what is best for you. Keep your chin up and try the injections...they may help and they don't hurt like you seem to think they will. I will keep watching to see how you're doing. Good luck!
  • I've sent you a pm with the name of a great Dallas surgeon. Check your inbox. Good luck ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.