Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomy or try Prolo etc?

Hey everyone. I have read a few posts on here and am impressed with the compassion, information, and understanding within this community. I am hoping to get some feedback for how to proceed with my back problems.

I am 35 years old and 6'5" with a herniated/compressed disc at L5 / S1. I have been dealing with this problem for about 6 years, but lately it has gotten progressively worse. Historically my back would go out about once or twice a year and I would be back on my feet in a few days. Lately I have had my back go out on my about 3 times in the past two months. Now when my back is "out" i am completely debilitated and unable to move without high levels of pain. I have sought treatment through PT, Chiro, and I have gotten to opinion from orthopedic surgeons. The most recent surgeon has recommended me for a discectomy at L5 /S1. He reached this conclusion after looking at my MRI and requiring me to receive a diagnostic injection. After I received the injection I felt immediately better. In fact I felt like running and playing basketball, which is saying a lot as 4 days prior I could not move... (a few hours later the injection wore off and the pain was back) . Based off this he has concluded that a discectomy would be his recommendation, as opposed to a fusion, which he was also considering. He also thinks that given the current state of my L5 / S1 disc a fusion down the road will probably be inevitable. I do not have leg pain or numbness. the majority of my pain is specific to the lower back. I do have pain with sneezing at times. Leg raises while laying down are extremely painful.

I am feeling a lot better since my recent episode and its of no coincidence that I am now beginning to doubt my need for surgery. I am also looking at alternative treatments such as Prolotherapy. I am scheduled to have the discectomy on the 15th of Sept, but I would like some information about more conservative treatments before I fully commit to this. I have a 6 mth old son (our first) and the thought of not being able to be active with him, or even pick him up, is too much.

So basically I am looking for some information and advice on how to proceed. I know i will eventually need some sort of procedure, but if i cold postpone it that would be great. However when my back is out I am useless and I cant keep doing this. Has anyone tried Prolotherapy? what about acupuncture etc...

As an additional factor I have state insurance right now, and now would be an ideal time financially to proceed with the discectomy... ( I plan on quitting my job in about a month or two...)

thanks in advance!