Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bilateral sciatic pain

I had surgery on a severe bulged disc in 2008 (L5S1) and had no issues until the end on 2012 when I had my gallbladder removed. Maybe I was positioned wrong or something, but I've had issues coming and going since then. I'll wake up at times with my back aching and a couple ibuprofen will do the job. But every once in a while it's much worse. The pain is different the before. The pain slowly builds up until almost intolerable. It's bilateral that radiates down to my calves when it gets really bad. I can barely walk and movement is almost impossible. This has happened 10 or so times and is happening more frequently. I've gone into the walk in clinic and usually get 30mg IM Toradol which is the only thing that has helped.

Anyways, I'm making an appt. with my neurologist but that will probably take a while to get in. I'm going to try to see my doctor soon and see if I can get a prescription for something similar to Toradol so I don't have to go in every time. I talked to a pharmacist and he said doctors are reluctant to prescribe that because it isn't suppose to be long term. Has anyone had similar symptoms and a medication that has helped?

(I've been given meloxicam that was useless. I am also trying to stay away from narcotics for personal reasons)

• LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 08/31/2014 - 4:07 AM
    Everyone responds differently to medications but for me Celebrex has worked better than Meloxicam. It's a more expensive NSAID but may be worth trying. Have you tried using a TENS unit? I use mine for my back and hip pain. There are OTC creams that can be tried also. It's best to walk if you can. I know it may be painful but laying around can cause additional symptoms ( muscle loss, spasms and weakness).

I hope you get some relief!
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • it might be wise to see the surgeon again to make sure that nothing new is happening. Toradol is only supposed to be used for no more than 5 days at a time, so something like a different muscle relaxer or anti inflammatory medication might help. Voltaren is one that is available in tablet or gel form.
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 08/30/2014 - 2:34 PM
    Having Gallbladder surgery was hell on my back but it's only been a couple of months. Everything should of settled down long ago for you. It could be worth trying to get an MRI to see what's going on. I have prescription compounded ketamine cream that contains numbing stuff, muscle relaxants & nerve meds. It's delivered to my door once a month. It could be worth asking about. There's a thread in the chronic pain forum discussing it at the moment.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.