Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After surgery concerns- asking for your ideas about food.

I am really nervous about my surgery coming up and one of the things I am concerned about is eating and drinking afterwards. I am having a ACDFI in less than 2 weeks. They told me that I will need to try to eat soft foods that are cold and avoid hot foods and dairy since it is phlegm inducing(sorry, gross ). I was wondering what you all ate after surgery. Dr. told me to stock up on popcicles. I will admit- I am not a fan. Any other non food pointers would be great too. Thanks !
Tracie C

• Hi. Good luck with your surgery! I had my ACDF about 4 weeks ago and my throat was definitely sore and swollen for the first week or two. I was on liquids only the first day and then soft foods as I wished. I found a couple things that worked pretty well for me that might be helpful. I have to have sugar free or low sugar so made some tweaks to things but you can adjust as needed for your own preferences. I had the expected soda's and preferred things without as much fizz such as ginger ale,& iced tea. I made some popsicles with those molds that you can get for kids and used water based fruit type popsicles such as Myo or some of the other mix your own type beverages. Fruit punch was pretty good. I was able to make them sugar free that way. Applesauce was my savior and had that several times a day. Jello jigglers (yes..I know..sounds silly but they were so yummy) are a great option. Not much on the nutrition side but the first couple days you don't care. :) I also made a strawberry smoothie that was very good with just fresh and unsweetened frozen strawberries, lots of ice, a little water and then I put just about a 1/2 cup of low fat frozen yogurt (you could use regular yogurt) in the blender to get some protein and add some smoothness. That was a big hit! Still drink that even though throat is fine now. : ) Believe it or not, I also got hooked on Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Crackers! They were small and if I had them with a cool beverage they sort of dissolved and were no problem. Mashed Potatoes and also pudding were options. Anything with a high acid content or spicy I would avoid at first and heat doesn't feel great. If you are a coffee lover, try mixing your coffee in the blender with ice for a frappaccino type drink and you'll get your caffeine without the hot side. I made meat loaf also and that was doable after a couple days and let me get some more solid food in my system and the needed protein as well and its generally softer. Pasta is also a good idea if you are careful with any spicy sauces.

I hope these idea help. I'm sure you'll do fine and try not to worry. Oh, one last thing. I used ice packs on the outside of my throat the first week to help reduce the swelling as I had quite a bit at first and that seemed to help as well. Good luck with the procedure feel free to let me know if I can help with any other questions. Take care
  • Thank you for all of the pointers. I will definitely use these
    Tracie C