Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd fusion Surgery at 50 - not sure

jisduitjjisduit Posts: 3
edited 08/27/2014 - 1:36 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I saw my old spinal doc today -

Had fusion in 2000 L4 L5 S1 - was given a new back - I cant tell you how grateful I was and after 3 weeks recovery pain was GONE - God should bless this surgeon - - UNTIL

11 years later - back hurts - i blow off hell its nothing like I dealt with prior to surgery in 2000 - and I am getting old been diagnosed with fibro - 12, 13, 14 years later arthritis doc says go see the back surgeon - na na I will wait - 2014 - see back surgeon get an mri - stenious L3 - sent me to physical therapy - 100 times worse - now cant get out of bed. Been on Morphine 15 mg for fibro pain for over 4 years - has not helped at all with back pain or spasms - ortho doc will give me nothing because some program tells him I get morphine - so I guess its Jack or Teq or what ever I can get on the streets at this point - at least until I get out of pain

MRI you can actually see in the where disc is pinching nerve (more like crushing)- after 2 weeks of bed rest and a new mattress and no PT - can at least walk - but my weight has piled on -

Now scheduled for fluoroscopically guided spinal steroid injection next month - that doesnt work he wants to remove all my existing hardware (l4, l5, s1) and re fuse l3, l4, l5 and s1.

- I just dont know if I am up to going thru all that again - yes I am going to another surgeon for a second opinion - really am scared about this

Decided that I am gonna go on a diet, excercise more and loose the excess 60 pounds first = smoke some and cry till I get thru it

• My name is Evelyn. I understand how you feel because I have been there. I had a one level fusion in 08. I was 60 yrs old. The doctor fused my L4 to the L5 and a Lammie. I was doing great un till last Sept. when I bent over to pick up a piece of paper on the floor. I am secheduled for a two level fusion, L3 to L4. and L5 to S1. He wants to remove the old hardware and not put it back but we will be discussing that befor surgery. Spine surgeries have come a long way since 08 and I hope and pray it works for me. If you want to chat or just vent you are welcome to PM me. Hang in there and I will keep you in my prayers if that's ok with you. Laters

Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • Hi jisduit,
    I am so sorry you have to go through another surgery like that. I can't tell you in enough words how much I understand.
    You were extremely lucky that the 1st surgery gave you pain relief for 11 years! I wish it would have been a permanent result for you. I envy you in that your surgery Was a success. I wasn't so lucky.....

It sounds that the level above and the level below your fusion, now needs surgery. That is what happens over time in most cases and it is very common. That's what I've been told and am going thru now.

I truly hope that the epidural injection works for you! If it doesn't the 1st time, I believe they are series of up to 3. All doctors do them differently. Why would he re-fuse you? I thought that the doctor had to remove the hardware, fuse the other 2 levels and put new hardware in there.

As for your weight, I hope you know that didn't cause the stenosis. However as we know being a bit over weight does put more stress on the spine. Good luck loosing the weight & I hope it's easy for you. :)

Do you see a pain management doctor? You'll have to see whoever prescribes the morphine to you now in order to have the dose raised or to even add additional pain meds. 2 doctors can't separately prescribe narcotics for you. The stupid laws have changed for these types of meds & by whom prescribes them. If you don't have a PM doctor, I'd look into getting one because you'll need one if you have another surgery.

I hope you were joking about drinking. Just go see your doctor to have your pain meds adjusted to what ever you need to be as comfortable as possible. At least to help reduce your pain.

I am a smoker as much as I know how bad it is. I cry a lot too. :(

I had a 2 level neck fusion in Dec 2011 and now I need surgery on the level above & below. I am distraught over this because back then my 2nd opinion suggested to do all 4 levels at the same time. The doctor who did the surgery wanted to do only 2 due to the loss of range of motion I'd have and told me that I may or may not ever need another surgery! I should have listened to the 2nd opinion. Now I need another surgery on my neck! The pain in & around my neck & shoulders sucks.

For crying out loud, I just had a 4 level DLIF back surgery & reconstruction from L1 to L5 9 months ago! It didn't work, I am still in debilitating pain and now disabled and walk with a cane. My whole life has been turned upside down & inside out.
    I just turned 54 in June so I'm a little bit older than you.

Not only that, I have a disc protrusion at T6-7 in my thoracic spine and at T6 there's a arachnoid cyst with other things wrong with the cyst. My back surgeon is sending me to a Neurosurgeon on the 19th for that and my Brain MRI that has abnormal white matter and some other things going on in there. My surgeon seems to think my pain is coming from my thoracic spine.

I have swallowing issues that is being caused by my neck problems. I have a modified barium test coming up for that. It's done by a radiologist.

Oh yea, there's nerve damage in my bladder per the urodynamic study I had done, she said it's from my back surgery & I have a cystoscopy on the 17th.

There's more stuff going on but I better close here for now because I'm rambling!...Lol

Again, I hope so much for you that the injection works for you.

New MRI's Not good-Cervical-Thoracic-Brain
    DLIF 4 level lumbar fusion L1 to L5 Dec 2013...
    ACDF 2 level cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 Dec 2011