Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When Did Surgeon Release??

Lola56LLola56 Posts: 4
edited 08/28/2014 - 3:13 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all. I had my surgery on July 28th..it was moved up from August. I had an ACDF C5-7 with plate and 6 screws. I stayed overnight and was released from hospital the following day with a soft collar that was optional and a 5 lb weight lift limitation. I have since seen my surgeon for 2 week followup and was told the surgery was successful and all was well. I was then released! I have had 7 orthopedic surgeries in the last 6 years. Several involving bone hardware along with soft tissue repairs, debridement, etc. This is the first for my spine. I have NEVER been released this early and was actually dumbfounded to the point of being speechless! I have since developed secondary complications with an underlying auto immune condition that has required some pretty stiff intervention from my rheumatologist and additional medications to control the inflammatory problem and that's ongoing. I have not as yet communicated back with my orthopedic surgeon and will wait to review a new MRI being done today to evaluate status.

So my question for the August buddies in particular but anyone who would like to respond is just how common is it to be released from restrictions and followup by surgeon this soon? I'm trying to gauge if my response is out of bounds based on previous experience or if this is no big deal. Thanks in advance for any feedback and hope everyone is doing well following your own surgeries.

• What did your NS say specifically? I had my 10
    Day post OP appointment and he was very happy with my incision and released me for PT for next week (so at 3 week post op), however, I did not have a fusion but a posterior cervical foraminotomy. I am
    Allowed to drive and should still wear the soft collar. I'm not on painmeds anymore. Are you? If you are still on narcotics, obviously, you still need to be careful and can't really do
    I was told that I have to wait 6 weeks before I can do light activity again, however I am able to return to work at week 2.
    So, release may be a term of definition. If I were you I'd call my NS to make sure.
    C5/C6 herniation
    Radiculopathy left arm
    Posterior foraminotomy 8/19/2014
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 09/01/2014 - 2:29 AM
    So what you're saying is that you will no longer be seeing your surgeon for follow up appointments? Won't he be reviewing your repeated films? Who are you suppose to follow up with if you have questions? Surgeons don't generally release patients from their care until all the follow up appointments have been done, and you've been released for normal activity. If you still have restrictions, recheck appointments are necessary to evaluate your status until you are completely cleared, or you'd be referred to a PM Dr for ongoing care if necessary. 3 months is generally the time frame that a surgeon remains involved. This seems way too soon for him to be done with you completely. Maybe there was some miscommunication?

Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • I think you and the surgeon may have some kind of misunderstanding on what he meant by released. He may have meant that you were being released to go to pt, or other therapy, or released from using the collar or released to drive, , but I highly doubt that he meant you were being released from his care, at this stage of your post op recovery.
    Since you are having complications, and it just doesn't sound right, I would call his office, and ask them what he meant by you were released, that he didn't explain it and you are experiencing complications.