Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RFA question

Quick intro, disabled vet, 36yo with multiple conditions, primarily right side Total hip that had complications (compartment syndrome 3 litre blood clot/hematoma) left hip FAI repair (femoral and acetabular plastie with PSOAS lenghtining), mild retro spondy at l5-s1, moderate OA on entire spine, C6-7 bulge with total stenosis on ancillary nerves etc etc.

Now on to my question:

I have had RFA's on multiple facet levels, T/L junction, and ocipitals. We just started working on my lower back/SI area as we are trying a divide and conquer approach to pain management. Last month I had RFA on my right SI and the nerve was found and none of these have ever "hurt" during the procedure. Yesterday, I had my left side done, and under sedation, with local numbing, they found the nerve at a much lower setting, when they started the "burn" it actually burned like a lighter being held to my skin, I lifted off the table, they put more anesthetic on and tried again with the same effect, then more numbing and finally they got it done, I felt it still but not as bad.

Now here is my curiosity, I have always considered since my injuries my left side to be my "good side", so what does the difference in RFA's mean? are those nerves healthier so they are more sensitive, or are they in worse shape so it hurt more? I could not sleep last night because the pain at the site was pretty severe and I am on butrans patch and norco (as needed) and it did not touch the pain. So far today I am still hurting, but the normal pains seem reduced and I have a decent range of motion).

It just fascinates me, that there could be that drastic of a difference in sites and I don't know why.