Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to site but not to pain

Rosie1124RRosie1124 Posts: 2
edited 08/28/2014 - 8:37 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello Everyone,
I posted this first message in the sleep problems forum last night, but thought I'd introduce myself here as well. I have a specific sleep problem, as specified herein, but also have been going to a pain management clinic for many years now.
I want to avoid being overly wordy on my first post.
I am a 50 year old woman who was diagnosed with herniated L4/L5 S1 when I was 28. With much regret, I opted for my first lumbar laminectomy w/ fusion in 1997. The surgeon botched things up so badly that I had to have a second surgery 14 months later--another fusion, this time with rods and screws to stabilize the spine. Anyway, long story short, I had been living on pain meds since before the surgeries.
I finally gave in to my pain doctor and had a morphine pump implanted in 2000, which enabled me to get off of all the oral meds. I gained a level of alertness I hadn't felt in years. However...there is a downside that has been, and continues to, ruin my life. Although opioids have a sedating effect, recent studies have shown them to act as a stimulant during sleep time. They do not affect everyone this way, but they do me. Regardless of when I go to bed, I wake up every 1 1/2 to 2 hours as if an alarm went off. It doesn't matter how tired I am. The doctors have prescribed Ambien, Klonopin, and others, with no success. Tonight I am trying Trazadone for the first time. This has been happening for over ten years now and I'm at the end of my rope. My quality of life has been greatly reduced and I am exhausted.
I guess this is only relevant if you have one of these pumps implanted. It is a continuous drip, and there is no way I can turn it down/off during the night. Well, thanks for reading my post. I wish you all a restful night's sleep. ~Susan
BTW: I chickened out on the Trazadone last night after reading the possible side effects; I always say I'm not going to read them, but do anyway. I have an appointment with my G.P. this afternoon--maybe he can suggest something that the pain doctors haven't. If not, I don't know what else to do. I can't imagine living the rest of my life this way.

Link to similar post..

It is against forum rules to duplicate posts..the reason for this is having multiple threads on the same subject can reduce the number of responses, plus it creates confusion for the rest of the member community. Members do not know which thread to respond to. Then in the end you may have a number of different responses in different threads. Any thread continuity is then lost.

Post Edited by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • hello rosie, and welcome to the forum, i have been offered the pain pump and have a trial set for sept. 28.. I know exactly where your coming from about not sleeping, I am just on oral meds now, and have been for many years and dont sleep but every couple of days,I am a chronic insomniac and it is very exhausting like you say, your the first one here ive found thats posted about it, i know there are others as chronic pain keeps many of up at night, we have similar problems and your the most recent person to post about having a pain pump and would love to talk more about it with you, if you would like to share your experience with the pump send me a pm letting me know your up to it,..hope you get some sleep,,,Gary
  • disturbances and works very well, without the over sedation or grogginess that comes with using other sleeping pills.
    While we all need to be aware of the possible side effects of any medication, most of them will disappear once your body acclimates to the medication. I have used trazadone for a couple of years and find it a good option for helping me get to and stay asleep longer.