Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica and Spinal Shift

Hi all,

I'm new to spine-health and am glad to have found these forums. I have been dealing with excruciating sciatic pain for 2 months now and can hardly stand it anymore. MRI in July showed l4/l5 herniated disc pressing on the L5 nerve root. Prior to the MRI, I started PT because when I would stand up I would be crooked from lumbar shift (no sciatic pain). I started PT in April and by July I couldn't even walk because the sciatic pain and lumbar shift had increased. Both the chiropractor and PT thought they were dealing with a muscle imbalance and not a herniated disc. Saw my OS and he did 2 ESI's this month, both with zero relief (not even temporary). He is recommending a one level spinal fusion because in 2009 I had a microdiscectomy (on the L4/5 level) and he had to take out more than what they thought because the disc blew out into fragments so a second discectomy would not be possible). In a last ditch effort to avoid the fusion, I am doing lumbar decompression at home using a unit provided to me by my PT. I used it last night and had AWFUL nerve pain in both legs. I don't know if this is normal or not but am going to try it again tonight.

Does anyone else suffer from lumbar shift?
Jacki - Age 37
L4-L5 Discectomy April 2, 2009 (Felt Great for 5 years)
2014-Reherniation of L4-L5 disc
ESI #1 - August 4, 2014 - No Relief
ESI #2 - August 18, 2014 - No Relief
360 Lumbar Fusion L4/5 - scheduled for October 21, 2015