Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

shoulder replacement

I am looking for advice when in come to making a decision on getting a shoulder replacement.
I am thirty years old. I have had multiply surgeries on both left and right shoulder. Arthritis in each has been gradually geeting worse and has progressively become more and more debilitating. I am also starting to develop degereative changes in my cwrvial spine which I believe to be cause bu thw shoulder arthritis.
I would appreciate and positive or negative feedback that anyone is willing to share about there decision to get a shoulder replacement or cpntinue managing woth there arthritis.
Claus Rodekirchen

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    not formal medical advise but based on my recent experiences.

I had to have both of my shoulders totally replace with implants in 2010. It is a very detailed and fine surgery that needs to be done by people who know what they are doing and the recovery is LONG, HARD, LONG and HARD.

Because of my advancing arthritis, both of my shoulder joints where beyond bone on bone. I had tried to postpone surgery but a series of steroid injections. That helped but only bought me time. When I first understood that the surgery was required, I went out to find someone who could do it. Our local hospital and shoulder surgeon (who was real good) did about 2 or 3 of these surgeries per year. I had another doctor friend recommend a surgeon in NYC who did 2 or 3 a week!.

I had the surgeries (Left in April 2010 and Right in Oct 2010) All I can say is that the recovery period is very hard. From the time I left the hospital until 18 months later, I had to work very hard every day to make sure I had the best range of motion in my shoulders. I did all of that. I will admit, even after 7 spinal surgeries and the rehab afterwards, the recovery from shoulder surgery was almost like torture. But I knew if I did it, I would have great results. Today I have almost 99% range of motion in my shoulders, which is almost unheard of in a person my age and with all my spinal surgeries.

But its worth it.
    I can give you more details on how difficult it is to manage day to day activities after shoulder surgery, but I hope you will ask me the questions.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.