Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 surgery

I was told that I need to see a surgeon since all the treatments have not helped me . Anyone have any suggestion. I've always been afraid to ever have back surgery too many people say it doesn't help . I have had a total of 5 injections for the L5/S1 only one helped me for about 3 weeks then the pain was pain . I worked and do a lot of heavy lifting on a daily basis so I was wondering how long is the recovery .
Amanda Keierleber

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • PaulPPaul Posts: 730
    edited 08/29/2014 - 9:32 AM
    #1 suggestion: Stop heavy lifting. This needs to be your new way of life because of that bad disc. You see, once a disc is bad, it will always remain bed. They never return to being 100%.

Next suggestion: Research. (but you're doing that already) Learn what surgical procedures are available, who does them, and how they do them.

Next: Interview at least 3 or 4 spine specialized surgeons who have performed the procedure already many many times. Research those surgeons' history with your state's board of health.
    Ask the surgeons if you can interview their previous patients.
    Consider the ones who offer the most benefit with the least amount of collateral damage.

I'm sending you a pm with helpful info. Look for it your inbox here.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • regarding recovery time and your expectations ,spinal surgery has its limitations and most of it is mechanical if its a simple trapped nerve a simple microdiscectomy may do the trick but over the years scar tissue tends to form and the pain starts all over again however if its a more complex operation like a fusion or ADR then recovery time is very long and a fusion is done for spinal stability so don't expect miraculous pain relief .do your research and get a few options for reputable consultants and if possible avoid surgery but if you can't go for the best consultant that you can get and the best of luck my friend meanwhile try a TENS machine they help some people