Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No more PILLS!

• I use what's commonly called 'Ketamine cream'. It's a prescription, compounded, topical cream that contains numbing agents, muscle & nerve meds. It's delivered from a compounding pharmacy once a month.
    I have had many adverse reactions to medications (Lyrica, Savella, Cymbalta, Gabapentin etc) so I no longer use them, just my cream. I do still take a muscle relaxant (Baclofen) & narcotic meds but in lower doses.
    I really like it & find it very effective with regular use. It's not a magic bullet but it really helps me. It's worth discussing with your doc.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Dreamcream1:

I was prescribed a formulary cream similar to what EnglishGirl described. So far it has proven to be ineffective for me. That does not mean that it will be so for you, but it has not worked for me.

After reading the advertisement/manufacturers' literature I was hopeful for some pain relief but after its use I could not determine any benefits. I used the entire jar which lasted well over one month, so I believe I gave it a fair trail.

However, I may have had some prejudice about the product based upon its cost. I am currently blessed with two levels of insurance coverage so my out of pocket cost for the formulary was only $17. BUT, the cost to the insurance company was almost $1,800!!! When I saw that statement I was taken back and questioned how in the world something as simple as this cream could cost so much. On top of that, it did not provide me any recognizable benefits. Therefore, I will not be renewing the prescription (two refills authorized).

Let me make this point for clarification - all of us are unique and what works for some may not work for others. The cream has not worked for me.

I wish you luck in your journey down this path of pain.

Jim Bryant
  • I know it comes in different strengths of different ingredients. It's supposed to be compounded to meet your needs. Mine is stupidly expensive too but I've never paid out of pocket . The first time I received the $3000 invoice I nearly lost my mind but insurance paid 100%.

Let me know if you want to compare the 'codes' ...products & strengths in it. I'm not hobbling into the other room to get the bottle right now. I know you'll understand ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • scinmyheartsscinmyheart Posts: 76
    edited 08/30/2014 - 2:22 AM
    I tried the ketamine based cream about ten years ago, and I guess it helped some...with my insurance at that time, it was only $10 oop...my latest pm dr wanted me to try it, but my current insurance will not cover it...so it was about $300.00 per tube...I told them thanks but no thanks

So be sure to verify it's covered first and hopefully it'll help if you try it
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 08/30/2014 - 4:32 AM
    that contains ketamine, lidocaine, baclofen, gabapentin, and flexeril and she loves it's effects. As English , Jim and sc all said, for some it works really well, others, not as much. The compunded creams are a combination of medications, blended together to relieve pain .
  • I don't really care whether it's a pill, a cream, patch or an injection. I just care whether it works or not.
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 08/31/2014 - 1:40 AM
    I'm doing well if all the little things work together to give me enough relief. Nothing individually has made me think "Wow, that's fantastic! It really works!", at least not in the long run. Do you think our definition of what 'works' changes over time?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • voltorol or whatever its called but its no good on me its ok on common muscle pain but deep bone pain it doesn't touch it
  • Yes, to answer your question, I do think that our defination and our interpretation of pain changes over time, just as our pain does. Our ability to tolerate it better and to manage it better changes too.
    While there is nothing out there that is going to 100% eliminate it, we do come to appreciate the small decreases, and come to realize that each little decrease gives us a better sense of being able to cope with living with it.
  • Yes! And having the cream gives me something I can physically do. It's become part of my coping ritual & that's important to me. Driving is incredibly painful for me. Going through my steps.. Rest with the cream & a hot water bottle & cup of tea before I have to leave the house makes it easier.
    Being awake in the night is bad for me. That's when all of 'those' thoughts creep in & it can easily turn into a pity party. As I said, the cream is something I can physically do & that often helps me avoid that dark place. I guess I'm a woman of action! It's about finding what works for you. No pill or cream takes the pain away. All of my meds & rituals make my life work for me...most of the time.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I forgot to mention this the other day when I responded to this post, but I realized as I labored to rub the formulary cream into my lower back that perhaps the massage was more beneficial than the ointment. Maybe I should try a "blind study" with a placebo and see if there is any difference.

Even though the massage helped my back a little bit, it made my shoulders and arms ache from the twisted position. Oh well, we can't have everything.
    Jim Bryant