Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Reherniation or flare-up symptoms

Hi just looking for a small bit of feedback.
A bit about me, I am 23 and had a microdisectomy L5/S1 4 weeks ago. After struggling with trapped nerve for 8 months I was perfect for the first 2 weeks and then I had a bit of a set back, from what I think was walking too much.

I had a pain in my right hamstring, behind my right knee and there was a general weakness there. This is the side the siatica was in prior to surgery. I would like to point out that the pain is not at as severe when compared to prior to surgery.

For the past two weeks I have been lying down pretty much all the time, walking every now and again, about half an hour a day or so. I have used ice and heat packs and that has reduced some inflammation and released some muscles. My symptoms have improved but are certainly not better. There is still a weakness when bending my knee and raising my calf but it has definitely improved.
The weakness is now behind my left knee also but it is not as noticeable as my right. Could this weakness be from lying down the whole time? and the muscles in my legs being quite tight?

I have tried sitting on a hard seat for the first time today and my right leg felt a bit sore. I have heard people after a MD have pain after sitting for a while. But I would like to know if it is in the leg or in the back?

Also if anyone has any experience with flare ups and reherniations, I am still quite worried that I may have reherniated.

• royalrooterrroyalrooter Posts: 15
    edited 08/29/2014 - 3:00 PM
    Phil, I'm a lot older than you and had a micro on 7/31/14. I was told to walk as much as possible the first 2 weeks with no bending, twisting or lifting more than 5 lbs. I was doing 4mph on the treadmill for 3 miles after the first 2 weeks and then started physical therapy for strengthing the core and stretching the hammy. I've had a twinge or 2 behind the right knee but nothing of any significance. I find that the PT is doing wonders as my legs feel stronger and my hamstring stretch is much better since I started. You don't mention if you''ve been to PT but I would definitely give it a shot. I don't know what a rehernation would feel like but all I have at this point is some back tightness with a little muscle ache from doing the walking and PT. I was told to move around as much as possible and not to sit for more than 45 minutes at a time. The Doc said the pinched nerve has been corrected but the disk had a piece of it removed and is in the same shape iit was before the micro so the disk problem that causes the pinch is really not resolved. I consider it a successful surgery so far just getting rid of the nerve pain. Good luck
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 08/29/2014 - 4:39 PM
    My L5-S1 disc reherniated and the symptoms are more severe. You're really early on in your recovery, especially because nerves can take several months to heal. I agree with above statement regarding walking and PT, those will help the most with muscle tightness and weakness. It's good to inform your Dr of any changes, but this may just be normal recovery.

Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • Of a few steps forward and a few back. Weakness and nerve/muscle/tendons will all bark at me after a heavy day.. Especially the first weeks after the discectomy surgery. Hang in there!