Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Discectomy - My Documented Experience

Greg466GGreg466 Posts: 12
edited 08/30/2014 - 5:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

To anyone reading this please let me introduce myself and tell you why I am writing. I am a 39 year old overweight male with a 15 year history of recurring low back pain. I live in Macomb County in the State of Michigan. I am a police detective for a local police department.

My low back pain has gotten worse over the years. My pain sets in when walking or standing for any length of time. Early on I was able to handle the pain via chiropractic care. Eventually that failed to eliminate or reduce the pain. I then moved on to my family doc who simply prescribed me some pain meds. I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon who then sent me in for a Myelogram with a CT scan immediately following. In case you aren't familiar, Myelogram is a test where they inject an ink/contrast into your spine. It is older technology that has been primarily replaced by the MRI. Due to a prior gun shot wound I was not eligible for the MRI.

Prior to the Myelogram test I had an incident at work. I was simply standing at my desk picking up things before I left the office. For a reason unknown to me my back simply gave out. I nearly fell. I didn't hear anything break, snap or pop. My back simply went out. After a weekend of ice and rest I found that a new pain had entered my life. I now had sciatic pain that felt as if it originated in my right buttock and went shooting down my right leg from there. It can vary from a 1 to a 7 on the pain scale at any given time. When it hits the high side I either lie down in bed or take pain meds immediately. Over the counter pain meds do nothing for me. I take Vicodin 500 mg for the pain.

After the test I learned that I had ruptured my L4/L5 disc and that the nucleus material of that disc had invaded the nerve pathway space between those two vertebrae. I was told that the only real solution to my problem was a surgical discectomy. I have not scheduled a surgery yet but plan to this upcoming week (Aug 30 of 2014).

I found these forums extremely useful when researching the procedure and its' outcomes. I am very grateful to ALL who have shared their experiences here. You have helped me more than you can ever know.

Based upon my research and, to be honest, my lack of alternative solutions to my back pain, I am going to have the surgery. I will use this forum topic to document my experience so that I may share it with others, just as some of you have in the past. I am hoping that some will benefit from this chronological log.

Please feel free to add to it or comment on it. Any advice and encouragement will certainly be appreciated. As most probably are, I am skeptical and nervous about having someone operate on my spine. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more.

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 363
    I should be getting a call back any day now to book a surgery date for a discectomy. I've had a 2nd opinion from the reputed 'best orthopaedic surgeon in Canada' that I need a spinal fusion at L5/S1, and that a discectomy will only solve my problem short-term. I believe every body/case is unique and recommendations are made based on your circumstances as well (age, weight, activity level), so we can't necessarily say what works for one person will work for another. But I'm interested to know how you manage with this, and of course pray for a good outcome for you. I am very nervous about back surgery as well, and the thought of needing a 2nd surgery down the road if I go with the discectomy now is messing me up! The recovery for a spinal fusion is way more intense than the discectomy, but if it means I only have to do one surgery and it's all dealt with, then it seems to make sense. Considering that you're carrying some extra weight on your frame, is it possible there is some damage to your vertebrae that needs to be addressed too...have you had an opinion from an orthopaedic surgeon? A neurosurgeon will only offer what he can do for you, and it is likely different than what the orthopedic surgeon will offer.
  • http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

I am going to move your thread to the Back and Neck surgery forum since your topic is more appropriate for that forum.
    We wish you lots of luck with your surgery, and a speedy recovery. The MOST important part, is following the post op restrictions and limitations until your surgeon clears you to resume other activities. Expect good and bad days. While you may experience significant pain relief immediately post op, you may also experience some increased nerve pain, which should improve over days and weeks to come.
    Best of luck to you.

• Thank you sandi and smarten. Smarten, to answer your question the doctor recommending the surgery is an orthopedic surgeon. The mylegoram and then the post CT exam I had did not show any fractures, just the herniated/ruptured disc. I am sure the weight is a issue, likely a major one, but according to the doc its' more a combination of things than any one thing. I have used my body as if I were invincible doing things the past 20 years and now it is catching up with me. The weight is pretty much a side effect of my back pain. The more my back began to hurt, the less active I was. I swore an oath that if I can just get some pain relief I will definitely get back into good shape. I am calling in two days, which will be this Monday, to schedule my surgery. The doctor specifically said that I was not a candidate for spinal fusion. I have several friends that have had a fusion and I believe the total recovery is about 1 year. As Sandi said, following your doctor's post-op instructions is crucial. That being said, everyone I know that has undergone a spinal fusion wish they had done it sooner. ALL of them have substantial relief. I wish you only the best and will keep you in my prayers as well. Take care until then. I will post again soon.
    I hope you too get the results your body needs with this surgery! I'm glad to hear you've seen positive results in others with the spinal fusion, as it would seem that the only ones who are talking on these forums AFTER the fact are those who are unhappy with the results, not very encouraging for people like us! I can also say that of the people I have talked personally with 'close to home', they also have had great results with the discectomy; one woman I know was around 50 when she had it done, and 20 years later, suffering no ill effects as a result. I am subscribed to your posts, am interested in hearing your success story :)
  • L333777LL333777 Posts: 109
    edited 08/31/2014 - 7:09 AM
    Hello Greg & Smartens. Smartens, I've posted to you before on a different thread, but I thought I'd give you both something to consider before your surgeries. Greg- I just had discectomy, laminectomy, & foraminotomy at L5-S1 for a severe herniation that was crushing my left sciatic nerve, so I know what your pain is like. Mine was managed with conservative tx for nearly a year and a half (PT, chiro, meds, 5 ESIs, 2 rhizotomies, acupuncture, cupping, moxibustion, homeopathic injections). I had been told to exhaust all conservative methods because I would need a fusion. About 3 months ago, my condition deteriorated and quickly spiraled out of control. Since that time, my pain was rarely less than an 8 & very frequently off the charts. I had become cane dependent, sometimes having to use a walker, & sometimes barely able to move. I am a 43 year old female, who is not overweight, but I have put on 20lbs since my injury due to lack of activity & all the steroids. I am a licensed mental health counselor and have 2 adult daughters & a 6 yr old. This was severely interfering with my daily functioning. Since I am a single mom, my income is the only one in my home, so I had to continue to work up until the day before surgery.

In regards to who does your surgery, I wanted to tell you what was said to me. I too was extremely nervous about having surgery on my spine. Of those that I spoke to, who had had a fusion, some said it was the best thing they ever did & others said it was the worst decision they ever made. Everyone's circumstances are different, so it made it very difficult to make a decision. I sought a second opinion from a different neurosurgeon than the one I had seen last year, who had recommended a fusion. In fact, the new doctor is the partner of the old doctor, but my choices on my insurance were very slim. I researched every neurosurgeon that my insurance covered & this guy had all raving reviews & it seems everyone locally knew who he was & had nothing but positive things to say. He is also the Chief of Neurosurgery at the hospital that is close to my home, which is meant to be a very good hospital. Luckily, I have a friend, who is a neurosurgeon, but lives in another state. I sent my MRI disc overnight to him to get his opinion while I waited for my consult appointment. He looked at it & had 4 of his colleagues look at the images (2 neurosurgeons & 2 orthopedic surgeons) & all agreed that I needed a discectomy & that a fusion is not warranted YET. At my consult with the neurosurgeon here, he said the same thing, but warned that this disc will likely give me problems down the road. I know it seems like getting the fusion now would make more sense bc then it would be dealt with, but there's other things to consider. Even at 43, I was considered "young" to have hard wear on my spine. One the fusion is done, there are often what they call "anniversary surgeries." Don't quote me directly, but it has something to do with added force on the vertebrae above and below the fusion. A fusion is also a very, very long recovery. So having a fusion done now, does not mean that there will not be surgeries needed in the future. The decision on a fusion is a difficult one, but all factors need to be considered, including age and the condition of the rest of your spine. Back to who does the surgery...I was told this: there are some great orthopedic surgeons, yes, but their training includes backs, necks, shoulders, knees, elbows, wrists, etc. Neurosurgeons training is focused on the brain & the spine. When it was explained to me like that, it became an easy decision for who would do my surgery.

Greg- my friend that is the neurosurgeon living in another state, actually lives in Michigan. If you are interested, I can send you a private message with his name and the name of the hospital where he works. The Forum rules prohibit putting that information on the message boards. Get a few opinions, from ortho & neurosurgeons. As was said to me, "this is something you will have to live with for the rest of your life." It will also help put your mind at ease (as much as that's possible in this situation) to know that you are making the most fully informed decision that you can. Let me know if you want that doctor's information.

Either way, I wish you both the very best with your surgeries. Continue to use this site, as it has been extremely helpful to me. Before your surgery, check out the post entitled, Post Op Must Haves. Keep us updated on how you progress.
    8/28/14 Discectomy, Laminectomy, Foraminotomy L5-S1
    9/15/15 Surgical Debridement of infected surgical incision & drain seroma; wound vac applied
    10/21/14 L5-S1 Osteomyelitis & Discitis; 10/23/14 Bone & Tissue Biopsy = MRSE
  • I appreciate your comments and your support! I forgot that today, Monday, is labor day. I will be scheduling my surgery tomorrow. I have thought this through and done my homework - both on the procedure itself and the surgeon I will be using. I apppreciate the tip on the post op must haves. I need all the help I can get. I will post when I know the date of my surgery :)
  • Best of wishes to you for a successful surgery! I hope that they are able to get you in soon, so you can get some relief & be on the road to recovery!
    9/15/15 Surgical Debridement of infected surgical incision & drain seroma; wound vac applied
  • Ok, so my surgery is scheduled for October 3rd. Today is September 5th. My sciatic pain has been very bad over the past few days. Today it lightened up a bit, however I've taken 2 vicodin so far and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Riding home from work in my truck has been killing my leg. I can't wait for this nightmare to end. I was told by the doctors office that they are sending out a packet to me. I have some paperwork to fill out and have to provide a blood sample prior to surgery. I will keep posting as I learn more, just wanted to add in an update.
  • Hi Greg! Good luck with your surgery! Glad you got it scheduled. Now it's like that Tom Petty song, "the waiting is the hardest part." I had to wait 3 weeks for my surgical consult, after my last MRI, & then just over a week for the surgery. It felt like FOREVER! I swore that it was getting worse every day & it turns out that I was somewhat right, as the surgeon said it was much worse than he expected or the MRI had shown. I hope the next few weeks fly by for you! Before you know it, you will be on the other side of this thing, just hang in there!
  • Hi Greg, welcome :)

Have you tried nerve pain meds such as Lyrica or gabapentin for your sciatica? Taking one of those, doctor-willing, along with your Vicodin might give you far greater relief than you are getting now, while you are waiting for/recovering from your discectomy. Just a thought.

Wishing you an easy recovery and a pain-free future,
  • Hello, after having a double laminectomy on Friday the 29th, I am feeling awesome with out requiring the cane that has been a part of my life for six + years. My story started 30 years ago when I was buried in a underground construction accident. After many bones broke, organs bruised and injuries that would follow me through out my life I have found relief in just eight days. Having a great relationship with the Lord, the most incredible wife, loving family and of course a fantastic surgeon or two. Miracles, medicine and faith, sometimes I look back and wonder how anybody can recover with out them, I believe you can't. Remember we can offer ideas, recommendations, medicines worth trying, but ultimately only can control your path but with faith you will never be alone, God Bless your journey. PS: I still have a few surgeries in front of me , but for now the relief is awesome, Day by Day thats how you spell relief, thanks and God Luck.
  • Debbied67DDebbied67 Posts: 100
    edited 09/07/2014 - 12:28 AM
    I had a L4/L5 microdiscectomy on Friday got home from hospital last night,,, had bad back for few days then pain shooting in my buttocks leg and foot and numbness also developed a foot drop,, got all this 2 months ago went a and e but didn't send me for mri straight away until 2 weeks later when I demanded to be seen again by someone,, I was told on week 8 what was wrong with me by my surgeon were I got transferred to that my foot was now paralysed and won't recover has my own hospital had left it to late to sort it all out,,,,, had surgery to relieve pains in leg,,, went well was in pain and still am but morphine is helping a lot also on meds for nerve pain in foot, still no use in my foot but early days,, hoping my surgeon was wrong about it being paralysed and to late to save it only time will tell,,, have to have rehabilitation in future on my foot and start to wear a splint have to use crutches,,, I was so nervous about surgery my first time,, it was more being put to sleep than the surgery itself, but I had nothing to worry about they were great,,,, I haven't worked since I went to a and e but I can't walk proper and far without pain,, let's see if this surgery helps in the next couple of moths, but I can't see me being v
    Back at work till at least another few more months yet,, see how I go,,,,,
    it appears things move slower here in Canada than in U.S. when it comes to diagnosing sciatic/disc problems. I consider myself very blessed to have a sis-in-law working with a neuro-surgeon which got me an MRI at 8 weeks post-injury (my own GP could only get me an MRI scheduled for 13 weeks!) and then she got me a consult with him at 18 weeks p-i (my GP booked me with the orthopedic surgeon at 24 weeks p-i!). My GP worked with me to get meds working for me, and and we settled on morphine for the pain, baclofen for muscle spasms, and gabapentin for the nerve pain as well. The gabapentin takes a while to work up to full dose, and then I believe it takes a while to really get a grip on the pain, but I shudder to think of what my pain levels would be now/still if I hadn't given the gabapentin a shot, seeing as I'm now 6 months since the injury! I still have pain, but it isn't all-consuming like it was in the beginning - like what you are describing - and I'm sure it's the gabapentin making the biggest difference. I have just now tried an herbal remedy called 'med-marijuana' which is legal in Canada & U.S., non habit-forming, and not the kind you can get high on. It's supposed to take a bit to start working, so it's too early to tell if it's working for me yet. So far, I've not come across any meds that work completely for pain relief, but I'm happy to have the level brought down to bearable.

• I contacted my Dr and spoke to one of his office ladies. I complained that the pain was not being managed with the vicodin and asked if the Dr could give me something different. The answer was to give me a steroid pack and a higher strength vicodin. That wasnt the answer I was looking for, however my surgery is only 3 weeks away. I have chosen to just live with the pain and wait for the surgery without complaining about the meds again. I sure hope this works out for me. I have a new respect for the words "sciatica pain". I don't know how people live with this for months or even years. It is by pure necessity that I continue going to work. If I could I'd stay home. I'm a mess each evening. Driving home is the absolute worst thing for my right leg pain. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I'll stay in touch. Thanks again for all of your suggestions and advice!
  • I never knew sciatica could get so bad, until it did! You sound like me in regard to going to work out of necessity. I would have stayed home too. Toward the end, I started working remotely from home more than I normally would have, but something's required me to be there in person, such as client meetings. Luckily, because it was fairly certain that I would be having surgery, my client caseload was purposely kept low. More than once, I found myself putting my head down on my desk and crying, when I knew nobody else was around. There were times when I would get up at the end of a meeting with a client and the sciatic pain would nearly take me to the ground & it took every bit of strength I had to wait for them to leave my office before I let the tears come and other times that I would have to drag my leg behind me because the nerve pain was so awful I couldn't walk on it right when I stood up. I am sorry you are dealing with that pain. Driving was always a trigger for me too. I'd get home and many times could not get my own shoes or pants off. I hope these next few weeks go by quickly, but I know it will feel like forever and a day. Just try, in your down time (when you are not at work) to relax & don't push yourself. My last pre op MRI was done on 8/1. At that time, I had, what was described as a very large herniation that was crushing my left sciatic nerve ( my herniation had tripled in size since the MRI before that). My surgery was on 8/28 & my NS says that my herniation was much, much larger than what he had expected or what it showed on the 8/1 MRI & the nerve compression was much worse. So, try to treat your back now the way that you will have to treat in when you are recovering. No BLTs, no lengthy sitting, no pushing, no pulling. Just pretend you are already under your post op restrictions. Hang in there Greg! I'll keep you in my prayers.
  • Sciatic nerve pain is debilitating. For months I was a coiled up mess. Squirmed my way through sleep.. (max 4 hours per night.. Min 2) would sit at a desk after an hour crowded commute by bus and train. At my lowest point I ate an entire package of Robax and they did nothing. I told my boss I wanted to punch everything in the face. (I went home! Lol) it's crippling. It consumes your life. After the surgery I certainly have some rehabilitative challenges with drop foot and nerve damage.. But I had the biggest disc the Neurosurgeon had seen.. And I'm grateful we have this surgery available and I was able to seek help. Today... Post op 7 weeks I'm able to function like a person. I'm not 100 percent. I'm about 50. But it's still early days. Walking is hard. I use a cane still but I think physio is going to help. I can also ride a bike... Which is amazing. Every single thing I took for granted I have to claw back with sheer determination. It's happened and all I can do is move forward. I know time is the enemy and your friend. Keep strong and surround yourself with distractions and positive people.

When I get down (daily) I come on here and remember that It could be worse. I meditate and breathe out the negative energy. It's a bit wacky but it helps me.

• Lauren , what time of relief have u recieved from the laminactomy. Are u 100% out of pain or 70%? U never say what the specie out come is and I am considering a laminactomy in my back and neck due to heriations at both ends. Thank u in advance for ur reply.
  • First, I'm sorry that you are in a position of having to make a decision about surgery. It is definitely a difficult one to make. For me, it was the best decision that I could have made, at the time that I made it, given the circumstances. I had been dealing with this issue for over a year and a half, trying every conservative tx out there, some multiple times. The issues with my back then suddenly & rapidly became much, much worse. I had become dependent on using a cane, sometimes had to use a walker, & sometimes could not move at all. My signature (at the end of my posts) shows what was found on the MRI done about 3.5 weeks before surgery. With that being said, my NS has said that when he opened up my back, he found that the herniation was much larger than he expected or than was seen in my MRI & my nerve compression was very bad. So, I had avoided surgery for a while, but I could not take the pain any longer. I only say this because, what I have found, is that surgery is a very difficult decision to make, but is best based on an person's specific situation & experiences (pain, limitations due to pain, goals for pain relief/expectations, etc). Having said that, you will find a wealth of information here. I have found the members & mods to be very kind & helpful in sharing their experiences.

I have discussed the specifics of my case & recovery so far, but on a separate thread. I will include links to those posts at the end of this post. That way, you can get to them easier. There is a lot going on now, as I had a post op complication, but I don't want that to cloud how I was feeling prior to the complication. All in all, I do consider my surgery to be a success, but it is early days yet. I am definitely better than I was pre op, but I have traded one px for another, due to the complications. I hope, with time, I will be able to say that I am 70%-100% better! but I'm not there yet. Best of luck with your decision. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Here are the links:

• 9 days post op
    Had microdiscectomy finely took the dressing off today,, great to finely have a shower instead of sink baths,,, scar looks ok stitches still there not sure how long they take to dissolve,,, stopped morphine few days ago just on paracetamol ,, have to lie on my side in bed turning over really hurts so have to sit up straight and do it that way,still have pain in back but not has bad has it was,,,, my drop foot is the main concern for me,, still hasn't improved after the op but he did say it was permanent was hoping he was wrong, was up quite abit with it last night hurting and tightness feeling, I'm on gabapentin and slowly increasing it over the next couple of weeks,,,still early days,,, hope you all recover well,,,
  • Don't give up hope. I have a friend named Dale that impacted his spine diving into a shallow lake. They told him he'd never walk again. Not only is he walking, he's running and biking and his back on duty as a police Lieutenant. I believe that you get out of things what you put into them. Remember to take it slow and be conservative, but never give up. The human body is a truly wonderful and amazing machine. It has an incredible ability to heal itself if taken care of. I was told that you don't see a full recovery for 1 to 1.5 years, so hang in there!! Thanks for sharing your experience. Keep us posted, you are in my prayers!
    I was curious to know if you'd had your surgery so I checked this thread to see what the date was and it's today! Probably happened by now, but I'll be praying for a successful surgery & recovery for you! I myself am patiently waiting for mine on October 29.
  • L333777LL333777 Posts: 109
    edited 10/05/2014 - 8:26 AM
    Hi Greg- just wanted to say that I hope you are recovering well! How did your surgery go? When you are feeling up to it, let us know how you are doing.
    Best wishes to you!

• Hi Greg, I'm yet another one who has been there and had similar surgeries. My only advice would be to take it easy. I'm sure you've been well informed at all the problems, outcomes and as I've seen you've done your research. Your body will have been through a huge amount of turmoil and it will take time to recover. As for the weight loss etc. it will most likely be the further east from your mind but rest assured you will get a chance to work on it now that I'm hoping your pain is a little more under control. Good luck and we are all hoping for a great outcome for you.
    Aussie Aussie Aussie
    PLIF l5-S1 L4L5 herniation, incomplete paraplegia
  • armelindarmelind South TexasPosts: 88
    Make sure that the surgery is YOUR LAST choice. It can be a godsend for some, and for others it can be the start of other problems. Just saying, be sure its the only thing left. Be sure to do ALL of your physical therapy. And try to lose some weight afterwards. It will only be better for your over all well being and be less stress on your back.

I wouldnt wish the pain of post operative surgery to my worst enemy but after a month or 2 it does get better. Good luck.
  • Friends,

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I just got home from the hospital yesterday. I had my surgery Friday October 3rd around 2pm. It went well according to the surgeon. I have nearly complete relief from the sciatic nerve pain I was feeling. It does return when I walk and sit but it is about 20% of the pain that it was before surgery. I am well medicated taking 1 Percoset every 4 hrs and 1 Robaxin (muscle relaxer) every 6 hrs. I am allowed to sit for 30 mins at a time with at least 1 hour of bed rest between sittings. I can walk as pain allows and was encouraged to walk up to 30 mins a day.

So far so good. I am being very careful and following all of the post-op instructions. I wear my brace every time my feet touch the floor and use a walker as a precautionary measure. I am careful how I roll in bed. I had a hospital bed put in my living room as I live in a 2 story colonial and am only allowed to navigate the stairs once per day. I would say that overall I feel very good considering I'm only 3 days out of surgery. The next six weeks will test my discipline and I'm told I will be getting better each day and thus will be tempted to over do things.

The surgery has made me very uncomfortable but not really in pain. I did let my pain get too bad on the 2nd day in the hospital by not taking the meds offered to me. BIG MISTAKE. Keeping the pain regulated is much easier than trying to catch up after it has set in good. It took a shot of Dillaudid (not sure on spelling) to get me back to good. Since then I take my pain pill every 4 hrs regardless of how I feel. I will do this for at least 3-4 weeks to ensure that I don't feel rough again.

So far so good. I don't want to jinx myself so I'll update as often as I can. Thank you all for your comments. I pray for us all each night. I think that prayer is the best medicine and it really does work. My faith is stronger than ever and I know I will survive this for the better no matter how long that takes.

I wish you all well and for those of you that have upcoming surgeries just know that the first 3 days were the roughest. Day 4 has left me feeling very good. On the 2nd day I began regretting having this surgery, but I attribute that to letting my pain meds run out. I thought the pain would be easier and I wouldn't need them. I was wrong. If you are reading this don't make that same mistake. Take what the nurses offer you, they know what they are doing.

Until next time, be well and God bless!
    It sounds like things are progressing normally for you, will keep you in my prayers as well! Don't forget about the rest of us when you've gotten your life back :) I'd love to hear how the recovery goes for you from here on out! I'd love to encourage you on your pursuit of a healthier lifestyle that will see you lose the weight you wanted to (earlier posts) as that will be a big help in building your core & back strength back to carry you for years to come. I am not considered obese, but I was challenged by my Dr to lose 40 lbs a couple of years ago, since I was relatively healthy and he wanted me to stay that way. Anyway, in April 2013 I made the decision to take it seriously, never having even made an attempt to lose weight (I was loving loving my food waayy too much!). I managed to lose 37 lbs slowly over the next 11 months and then I ruptured the disc...a very big disappointment, taking away from me regular exercise which I had grown to love and giving me an excuse (and not a good one, either) to resume bad habits of eating too much and not good stuff. Here I am within 18 lbs of my starting weight-loss point, waiting for surgery, and fighting to stop the trend of slow steady gain, ruining all my hard work from last year. But I have discovered aquacise, which has given me something to look forward to, good aerobic exercise that you can do mostly underwater so noone has to see if you're uncoordinated or jiggling in all the wrong spots, and has noticably helped with the muscle spasms resulting from the nerve pain. It does not help with the nerve pain, but then I don't expect much to. And it is as low impact/high aerobic as you can get, so good for those with joint issues or looking to exercise but their weight is a serious hinderance. Forgive me, I'm rambling...but maybe you don't have much better to do these days than partake in some rambling. I believe you will have an awesome time of recovery & beyond ahead of you, would love to cheer you on all the way!
  • Well so far so good. I feel pretty darn good all things considered. I walk about 3-4 blocks at a time, twice per day. I only take pain meds when I feel rough, which is about once per day. That's a far cry from the 6x per day I was taking them. I am still being very careful to follow the instructions given by my doctor even though I know I can do more. I certainly don't want to re-herniate my disc and do this again. My sciatic pain is gone and only surfaces in small doses when I walk. I expected this and am confident that when the nerve and muscles heal it will be gone completely. I will keep updating this as time goes on. I will also keep you all in my prayers and hope for your recovery. Only we know how miserable sciatic pain can really be. I'm glad to be rid of it and hope that it stays away.

Your Pal,

hope it only gets better every day, Greg!
  • armelindarmelind South TexasPosts: 88
    My dad had a successful herniated disc surgery 20 yrs ago. And he seems fine now. A couple of friends had the same too. But there are so many out there that I have learned about that arent so lucky. Be grateful you got this gift. I am glad you are doing better.
This discussion has been closed.