Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery one month ago and pain is back and spreading

KeegurKKeegur Posts: 10
edited 09/03/2014 - 5:48 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Original post http://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/lower-back-pain/all-you-scared-anterior-lumbar-interbody-fusion

About a month ago i went through an anterior lumbar inter body fusion from L4-S1, I thought i was done with the pain but boy i was wrong. My original post should probably be deleted.

My back pain went down to about a 3-4 for the first week to week and half after the surgery and right leg pain was gone, The leg pain before surgery came and went multiple times a day but was not the constant pain i had in my back(8-10) but very intense when it hit also (8-10).

About two weeks ago the pain came back very strong in my legs, my left leg never had pain and now its worse than the right leg. The pain in my legs is so intense( a 5-8 in right leg and left leg is 7-10 ) and constant now. And my back pain has come back and is still really bad, it goes up and down from a 4-10. Pain in my legs/butt surpasses the back pain and my back is constantly on fire. I am becoming pretty depressed, I used to be an insanely handy guy, Built anything and everything i could think of since a young age, and now for the past 9 months I've been pretty much bed ridden, Sometimes the pain is not that bad that i can force myself to go to the store with my Girlfriend or go to my parents house to visit but only for a short period of time before i have to go lay down again.

I thought that I was done with this pain, but i guess not. All i can think about is why am i still here dealing with this, nothing makes me happy anymore. I am not suicidal, just beyond tired of living life like this, I had back pain at a young age and it was tolerable for many years. But now i am in so much pain I can't stop from crying multiple times a day.

Pain is one of those things that is relative, but the pain I have now is equal to if not worse than before the surgery in my back and has increased in my legs.
Any one else have pain that has spread after surgery? I Have an X-ray and follow up appt. in two weeks and they are fully aware of my changing conditions.

• days to a few weeks post op. One problem is the inactivity, and you need to be walking, painful as it might be, as often as your surgeon directed you to post op.
    Nerve pain can continue for some weeks and possibly months, depending on how long the nerves were compressed prior to surgery, as well as the movement involved in the actual surgery. It does change over time, and if it is intolerable, there are medications that can help to ease it while the nerves recover and settle down again.
    Limiting sitting, standing or laying down, except for sleeping times, is normally about 15 minutes in the first month or 6 weeks post op, or until you see your surgeon for your follow up visit.

• I can relate to your situation greatly. I was bedridden prior to my direct pars defect surgery for 3.5 months and an additional 6 weeks after surgery. My recovery has had several road bumps and I still spend most my time in bed. I understand the depression, I understand feeling worse after surgery. I am 5 months post op and am still wondering if I will ever get back to normal. I have had several complications and one thing my surgeon told me this week during a follow up is that everyone heals differently. He is still confident that I will recover, however, I have to be extremely patient in my healing. I understand the crying several times a day...I do it also. But you are early on in your healing and you have to give it time. The thing about when you are cut open and have instrumentation put in and are sewn back up is that it takes 18 months for your scar and all the damage to heal fully. Some people bounce back quickly...I thought I would be one of those people however I am not. I have finally come to terms with the fact that my recovery is going to be on the very long end. It gets sad and depressing and very hard. But you are not alone. I am one of many on this site that are in the same boat as you. I used to work out and run half marathons and now I am reduced to my bed and my husband is cheating on me. I'm sorry to focus on myself in my response, I just want you to know that I can relate and you are not alone. We have to believe that we will become better, we just heal slower than others. I am here for you if you ever need a friend...just PM me. Hang in there my friend.
    Bilateral pars defect L5