Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Going in for Disc Replacement

I have been dealing with my symptoms for the last 3 years. Pain, numbness tingling, etc... from my neck down to my left shoulder all the way down to the arm and hand. They tried all the none invasive stuff first, PT, injections, meds, waiting it out etc...

I have several issues related to my neck. Spinal stenosis, degenitive disc disease, etc...

Turns even tho as of now most of the other stuff is not causing any problems yet but my c6-c7 disc is pressing against my nerve root there. I have taken 2 mri's one 3 years ago and one just last july. My spine doc told me things has progressed and gotten worst. He sent me to get a nerve conduction test and shows i am already showing signs of nerve damage. He then sent me to a neurosurgeon. The surgeon recommends a disc replacement. Of course i asked him a lot of questions related to it and it seems like my only option at this point. So after a month dealing with the appointment center with the hospital. I finally got an appointment for the surgery on sept 29th. I have a pre op appointment on the 10th.

I have wide range of feelings and emotions related to this. Nervous, scared, excited, etc... Part of me cannot wait for it as I know it will bring the long sought relief I been needing. The other part is worried about the risk as they are going in from the front, the pain, aftercare stuff, etc...

No idea what to expect. They recommended I take this class the hospital offers but they have only 1 available between now and then. The time conflicts with my work scheduled. I do not want to take any time off from work till my surgery as I am an important person at work keeping their equipment running and communicating. I am their only IT guy. At work we are already prepared for the 6 weeks i need off. I do not want to take any more time off that is not needed before my surgery day.

Anyone can give me any advice on what to expect during my pre-op with my surgeon, pre-op stuff right before surgery and anythings I should do or not do before during and after kind of thing. What to expect when I wake up and such. Any advice on a successful recovery would be very helpful. I will also update everyone on how things turn out. I will let everyone know how things go from my pre-op app, to after surgery and during my recovery.

I know this will be helpful for anyone about to go through the same thing in the future as well.