Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Muscle Spasms + Pain, hard to walk or stand now (10 months after L4-L5 Fusion)

davidwright242ddavidwright242 Posts: 32
edited 09/03/2014 - 4:05 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
In Nov 2013 I had a attempted L4-L5 fusion that at 6 months (my lack checkup) had not fused yet and probably not so at month 10 which is now. My doctor basically said I could return to doing basically whatever I wanted except for twisting and heavy lifting, though I am thinking I should have never listened to him. I have had almost no pain associated with anything anymore, and I was pretty much back to my old life... . that was up until 5 days ago when everything changed.

It was 5 days ago when I felt something in my back shift or crack or something while sitting, and since that time anytime I walk or stand I get terrible muscle spasms in my back so bad that if I'm not careful I start to shake. Also, I have new numbness in my leg and the site where the fusion happened has been hurting again for the first time in many many months, plus my entire lower back just aches now all over.

Prior to the surgery, I used to get these same type spasms/muscles locking up as my spondylothesis (moving vertebrae) acted up, but I have not once -ever- had these since the surgery, not once... not even a tiny bit.

I am currently out of work, and I have an appointment on Friday (the soonest that I could get) for my orthopedic doctor to take a look at things. As you can imagine, being on my back and in a worse state than I was prior to my operation, has put me in a mentally compromised state and I fear that when I get to the doctors that I will not convey things properly in the way that I need to.

So can anyone help with proper wordage and word usage that I might use to explain what I am going through? My fear is that he will not find anything, and I know enough that if you get muscle spasms ONLY when you are walking that something is wrong and needs to be addressed.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
--) Dave (--

• Simply explain to him the way you did here, your concerns and fears........that's the best way that I know .
  • davidwright242ddavidwright242 Posts: 32
    edited 09/04/2014 - 8:09 AM
    I'll do my best, my fear is that an x-ray will not show anything and he'll send me on my way, though every fiber of my being can sense new vertebrate movements. . . . . .

There are so many brave people on here. I have been reading this site since last year but only created an account recently. I am a practicing Buddhist and even with all my practice my mind has fallen apart so quickly when things hurt and I don't know what is going on.
    --) Dave (--