Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why no weights above the head after ACDF?

I can't seem to get a straight answer on this one...I had ACDF 18 months ago and now I'm feeling nearly normal again.

Recovery took a long time. I was in good shape prior to the surgery, and haven't gained any weight since the surgery (well, I did for a little while, but lost all the excess)

My Dr and my PT both said I should no longer lift weights above my head. I used to like to military press with a barbell, sometimes with dumbells - but they've advised me not to do this. I never really got a good answer as to why...they also advised against running due to the pounding.

I was wondering if any of you received similar advice? I'd really like to go back to my old weight routine, minus the squats, but I'm worried about doing both Military press and bench press. They said I could bench, but light weights only.

I won't do the squats anymore as I don't want to put that weight on my back any longer. Too bad though, made me really strong.

I had two level ACDF (C5-C6, C6-C7) at age 54.

Thoughts? Suggested alternative exercises?

• Why would you want to risk potential damage to your spine after having surgery?
    The restrictions are there for a reason, and there are things that we need to modify or eliminate post op in order to protect and preserve the rest of our spine, and prevent further injury. Your surgeon would know the specific reasons for not allowing you to weight lift post op, based on his knowledge of your spine.
    We also can not make alternate excercise regimines.......