Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What do I have?

Over the labor day weekend I was on the ranch and my right leg started encountering pain described in most internet descriptions of sciatica.

Here are my past sins:

1. I got a new job and sat in office chair 9-10 hours per day. Then when I got home sat in office chair and watched netflix.

2. I walk my kid's pit bull which can violently jerk and tug like a 90 pound bag of cement. I horsed around with him several times last week including morning before leaving for ranch. This involves tugging and pulling on his toy.

For the past three days I am limping and look like an invalid. The pain is not getting any worse but is also not working itself out and getting better.

My back is just fine. I felt around and there are no disks that hurt or that feel wrong. Just my right leg bothers me from my crotch down my butt to my toes.

I am wondering which of these two sins caused my problem and if my back feels fine can I safely assume that my back and disks are not the cause?

• Spiny_MaloneSSpiny_Malone Posts: 225
    edited 09/04/2014 - 1:54 AM
    You need to get seen by your doctor the sooner the better. It could be any number of things but you know in your gut that this is a different type of pain. I suffered very similar to what you describe but without imaging to be sure.... I will reserve my opinion and leave that for the pros. Please keep us posted on your journey. You're in a good place here!
  • http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

Is the "bothering you" simply pain or is it numbness, tingling? Are you able to flex and lift and hold your foot up ? Is the pain electric in nature, or is it sharp?
    If it is neuropathic, you will want to see your primary doctor for evaluation and treatment, since you could have pinched a nerve. If it is simply muscular, you may have pulled a muscle, but either way, a consult with your primary may be your best option to find out what is causing these symptoms.
  • Hi Spineqs. I echo what's said above, it's best to see your doc. You can't really 'feel' spine damage like herniations with your fingers so that's really not a way to tell. Your GP will examine you & do a series of simple tests & then make his best judgement. Most spine problems go away pretty fast. You'll know if this lingers on for too long & you need to push for diagnostic tests but hopefully it's muscular.

I think you've touched on a worry you have about your lifestyle. Too much sitting & that kind of play without strong core muscles to protect your spine can lead to problems. Hopefully this is just a warning. Your GP might refer you for some physical therapy to help with recovery & building muscle strength. Chronic spine pain is terrible to live with. I wish I'd taken more steps to prevent it, controlled exercise, less impact on my spine...No running! Ugh!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I agree with the other posters here. Deffo see your doctor. You can slip a disc and have no back pain at all, the only pain you will have will be in your legs/feet/etc. See your doctor, get it checked out and even if it isnt horrible, take every step you can to prevent it from happening again or getting worse. Ask your doctor what those steps might be, dont let them leave the room until you get several suggestions, get ugly if you have to. I hate to say it but after dealing with almost 20 years of issues, sometimes you have to get ugly to get results. So many doctors and nurses assume you are there for the drugs because without expensive testing, spine issues cant always be proved and so many people really are there just for the drugs. And lets face it pain is invisible, they actually have to believe you have it before they will treat it. Dont hate them just bear in mind that they have been given lots of reasons to doubt you.