Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spiney recipe book/calling all cooks

bigcat90bbigcat90 Posts: 1,012
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Water Cooler
I am going to import all the recipes from the other forum,for millie...

• Hi All,
    I thought that it would be a fun thing to do; to have everyone on this board to post their favorite or family recipe so we can all share our roots. If you have grandma's sugar cookies recipe or Aunt Betty's best Meat-Loaf recipe please post them here!

Millie's Not so Cuban Picadillo

1 Lb. of lean ground beef or you can use ground turkey
    1 Med. onion finely diced
    1 small green pepper diced
    2 Tbsp. of chopped garlic (or more according to taste)
    Half a small bunch of cilantro finely cut
    1 medium potato peeled and cubed
    3 Tbsp. of Extra Virgin olive oil
    salt & pepper according to taste
    3/4 cup of white wine

Place your 3 tbsp. of olive oil to heat in your sautee pan. Add your onion, pepper, garlic and cilantro to the pan and cook on medium until all the ingredients are cooked and the onions are caramelized.
    Add your ground beef to the sautee pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. sautee the ground beef until all is cooked making sure that is all separated.
    Add your wine, your potatoes and cover in med/low heat for about 30 minutes.

Serve with white or brown rice and enjoy a piece of the Caribbean
  • Here is a grandmas sugar cookie recipe...INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup shortening or butter
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2-3/4 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup milk
    In large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and mix well.
    Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add alternately to shortening mixture with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Cover dough and chill in refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight. (If chilled overnight, let dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling out.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough using floured rolling pin to about 1/4" thickness. Cut with cookie cutters. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 350 degrees F for 7-10 minutes until very light golden brown around edges. Let cool on cookie sheets for about a minute, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
  • OK--Layla's Meatloaf:
    1 pound ground beef
    1pound ground turkey
    2 eggs
    1 cup cooked rice
    1cup uncooked oats
    1/2 cup ketchup
    handful of grated uncooked carrotts
    bunch of uncooked spinach, chopped
    chicken broth to moisten (about 3/4 cup)

mix it all up and put in a large baking dish. Put ketchup on top. Bake at 350 degrees until it reaches 165 degrees. Serve portions to very happy dog.

The above are only from my memory---I have cooked for her always. Add more of the meats,and more veges, etc. No onions for dogs---do not know why--just haven't questioned it.
    Layla's Chicken Soup:

Shred a cooked chicken from the store. Add it to chicken broth in the can or the box. Add a good handful of shredded carotts. When it is boiling add noodles.

Layla's Pot Roast:

Anyone still have a crock-pot around?
    Get the least expensive cut of chuck roast available. Place in crock pot cut upon peeled potatoes, chopped carrots and the meat on top. Pour a can of beef broth on top of all of this. Cook over low heat all day. Thicken gravy with some wondra flour and a little gravy master.

Layla's treat's:
    You need a dehydrator.
    Purchase any deli cold cuts--turkey she loves the best---lay the slices in layers and let dehydrate until crispy.

These are the foods that our now almost 15 year old Welsh Springer Spaniel loves. She also loves cheesy scrambled eggs with ham, and seafood when we have leftovers. Kibble? Excuse me. Not in her vocabulary. Believe me we tried. The above work for her, and she has decided not to share with her human family members, although sometimes her Daddy gets a few bites!!!

• Now this will be fun:

Bologanse Sauce

2 pounds of ground beef
    1 pound of ground pork
    1 pound of ground veal

1 Can Tomato Paste
    2 Cans Tomato (Puree, Chopped, Whole, etc) I put them in a blender to make a puree)
    3 tbs Olive Oil (or more)
    3 cloves or garlic, minced
    2 onions, minced
    2 celery stalks minced
    2 carrots, minced
    1 bottle dry red wine (something that you would drink)
    Grated Parm Cheese (or better, a chunk of it with the rind)
    3/4 cup whole milk
    1/2 Whole Nutmeg (need a nutmeg or cheese grater to grate it)
    1/2 oz to 5 oz Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
    Sauted the garlic, onions, celery and carrots over low heat for 20-30 minutes until they are real soft

Saute Beef, drain fat, Saute Pork, drain fat, Saute Veal, drain fat
    Add all meats together, add 1 can tomato paste over medium heat until blended. Add tomatos
    Add wine and salt/pepper

Simmer, simmer and simmer for 3-6 hours. Add water/wine/tomatos if necessary.
    You want the sauce to be thick....
    Add Milk, Nutmeg and cheese.
    Simmer for about 1 hour more

(You can add more milk/nutmeg/cheese per your taste, plus Hot pepper)

(You can freeze this sauce and reheat later. We sometimes make double this amount and freeze
    a bunch for later on)
    Serve over short pastas (Rotini/Fuzilli/Penne/etc)
    Add more cheese
    Note: The amounts of ingredients are estimated since I really never follow recipes, I just add things
    to the amount I think or want them to be.
    Nice thing about cooking, you dont have to be exact, its how you feel and what you feel
  • 1 8-10 lbs. pork shoulder (picnic)(Pernil)
    1 big head garlic
    2 tsp. ground black pepper
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1 tsp. crushed orégano

Start by pre-heating your oven to 350º.

Wash the pernil in cold water. Make stabs (about 1 inch wide) so you can put the paste like mixture in them.

Sprinkle adobo to your taste and set aside. (For a better flavor, season the night before.)Peel all the garlic, dust off your pilón (ha ha) and mash the garlic
    to make a paste.

Add the orégano and pepper, (Achoo!!! Salud- Bless you)

After the garlic, orégano and pepper are well mixed, add the olive oil and stir with a spoon to make a paste like mixture. FUAAAAAAAAAA, It's ready to roll.

Place 1 teaspoon of the paste mixture into each hole of the pernil.

Cover the bottom of the baking pan with aluminum foil and place the pernil on top.

Cover the pernil well with aluminum foil so it will come out juicy, not dry.

Bake for 4 to 5 hours at 350º, depending on your oven.

Uncover for the last 15-20 minutes on a high setting for some crunchy "chicharrón" skin.

Serve with my arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon peas). recipe fallows

If you are a jibara (hillbilly) like me, serve it with cooked green bananas, yucca and other Rican veggies.Hasta la vista, baby!!!

You may use garlic powder or ground garlic sold in glass jars.

1 tsp.= 1 garlic clove

Garlic is good for your nails and makes them hard, so enjoy the little treat while peeling the garlic.

Cover the bottom of your baking pan and save some scrubbing time.

If you want to save some time, cook the pernil over night at 225º. It will be ready when you wake up and your house
    will be filled with the aroma of the pernil.
    Arroz con Gandules (rice with pigeon peas)

1 lb. raw medium or long grain rice
    1 15 oz. can gandules (pigeon peas)
    2 1/2 tbsp. sofrito*
    2 envelopes sazón seasoning with achiote
    2 tbsp. Manzanilla olives
    1 1/2 tsp. capers
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
    1 envelope onion soup* (my secret)
    16 oz. water

Place the vegetable oil, sofrito, sazón with achiote, gandules, olives, capers, onion soup and tomato sauce in a big pot.

Thoroughly wash rice and add to the other ingredients.

Pour water over the ingredients and stir well.
    (Water should be about 1 inch above the ingredients).
    Boil on medium high until all the water is absorbed.

Reduce heat to low and cover the pot with aluminum foil* and lid.

Cook for 35-40 minutes, depending on your stove.

If you use onion soup, it will give your rice a better flavor and there is no need to use salt.

Rule of thumb: Add 1 1/4 tbsp. of sofrito for every cup of rice you are cooking.

Placing aluminum foil over the pot of rice. It gives the grains a chance to all pop evenly.
    (Another one of my secrets).

5 medium yellow onions
    3 large green bell peppers
    2 medium size bell peppers
    20-30 Stems of recao (culantro)
    40-60 stems of cilantro
    1 tsp. of salt
    20-25 ajies dulces (sweet peppers)
    4 heads of garlic

Soak the garlic heads in water (fully covered), so they’ll be easier to peel, and set aside. Remember this; garlic is good for the nails. It makes them harder.

Fully wash the peppers, the culantro, ajies and recao.

Remove all the seeds and stems by carefully removing them with a sharp knife.

Slice the peppers into long strips about 1/4" wide in length.
    Peel the onions (Ay Bendito!! My poor eyes.) Cut into 6 to 8 pieces each chunk.

Drain the water from the garlic and peel each garlic tooth.

Here goes the Best!

Mix all vegetables (peppers, ajies, onions, garlic, cilantro and recao) in a blender or a food processor. Start with the onions then the garlic. Then add peppers, the culantro and recao.

NOTE: Don’t Panic!!! You might have to fill the blender more than once.

Mix all ingredients until everything is pureed and pour the sofrito into a large mother bowl and add the salt.

Mix thoroughly until the salt is evenly distributed to all the sofrito.
    Put a small amount of the sofrito* in a container or Tupperware bowl (in the refrigerator) for your everyday use. Store the rest in the freezer for later use or even better, email it to me. Ha Ha Ha.

If you are like me and use sofrito everyday, try putting the sofrito in ice cube trays; and remove each cube as needed. This keeps it from spoiling down under.

Depending on your trays, each cube is about 2 tbsp. of sofrito.

• Ranchhands weapons grade thermonuclear chilli sauce.
    this is only for the experienced hot sauce lovers out there, ime serious this will eat the hair off your forhead,
    you have been warned K?
    take the Piquin chilli peppers from the local backyard plant(you do have one right)?Wash and soak them for a week in a pickle jar, pickles optional for a spicey treat.
    Fresh tomatoes (1or2)
    A little bit of sweet onion
    put a very few of the Piquin peppers, the two tomatoes, and the onion to taste, in the handy blender and spin till youve got the consistency of grits.
    Thats it. This is a really good thing to add to melted cheddar cheese in a fondue with the tostito's round corn chips.
    These little chillies are a close RANCHIE'S BORACHO BEANS
    what your going to need is a 2 to 5lb bag of pinto beans
    3 good sized Jalapeno peppers
    1 sweet vidalia" onion
    1 nice firm tomato
    Garlic-be gentle the neighbors will appreciate it!

Pour the beans out and sort the dirt/rocks from them and let them soak overnight,6 hours or so
    Slice up the Jalapeno's ,and carefully, scrape the seeds from the skin, these are the hot part, do not get in your eyes, wash your hands thoroughly! leave a few for zest! chop up around half an onion cubed and added in with the oregano.
    add a wee bit of garlic for a little kick, salt and pepper to taste.
    Add the cubed tomato last for textural reasons.
    cook at a low boil until the beans are a nice browned color and soft to the fork, not squishy mind, just done.
    turn heat down to warm and let them set a spell. the flavor builds as it "ages"

Approximation of Armageddon so serve with a good sweet cornbread underlay.
    Yes, this is all bachelor food but hey..
  • I like this section

Being born and raised on Oahu, but now living in Washington state, I have a recipe that was created I guess during WW2 when Spam became a canned commodity and very popular in the 50' and 60's. It's still a very sought after in Hawaii.

1 can Spam (or Spam Lite), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
    1 enormous onion, sliced
    4-5 man sized handfuls of fresh string beans (green beans)
    and snapped into 2 inch pieces
    garlic, if desired
    1/4 shoyu (soy sauce)
    3 teaspoons any kind sugar
    1/4 cup water

Throw the cubed Spam and sliced onions into a pot and let it warm, while you are snapping the beans and tossing them in. Garlic can be added at this time. Pour in the shoyu, sugar and water, stir and cover. Let simmer until the string beans are cooked most of the way. Serve over a huge bowl of short grain rice (like calrose).
    Hope you enjoy it. Its been a part of my life since... forever. ~barb
  • * Special Margarita*

1 cup of crush ice

1 Lime wedge

1 orange wedge

2 Oz. of Tequila (your choice, I like Cabo Wabo Silver

1 oz. of Grand Marnier

Margarita Glass

Salt to rim the margarita glass

In a martini shaker put your lime wedge, orange wedge and ice. With a mortar crush the ice, lime wedge and orange wedge for about 3 minutes. After the ice and fruit are ready.
    Add your 2 oz. of tequila 1/2 ounce of Grand Marnier and shake for about a minute. Rim the tequila glass with salt, pour the contents of your martini shaker to your prepared margarita glass, pour the rest of the grand marnier on top of your margarita. Decorated glass with a lime. ENJOY!!

• Coquito(rum drink from puerto rico)

2 - 3 cinnamon sticks
    2 c. water
    12 oz. evaporated milk
    14 oz. condensed milk
    4 egg yolks
    15 oz. cream of coconut
    4 c. white rum (Bacardi, Don Q. etc) (Adjust to taste)
    Start by boiling the cinnamon sticks in the 2 cups of water.

When the water turns yellow and has the smell and you can taste the cinnamon, take the sticks out.

Now add the evaporated milk, condensed milk and egg yolks and cook at a very low temperature. Make sure to stir while it is cooking to avoid it sticking to your pan. (If it does, see hint below.)
    After it has boiled for a few minutes, stir in the cream of coconut and then the rum. Stir it very well and take off the stove.

Let it cool, chill and enjoy it .

If you “accidentally…nbsp; (because you were drinking the rum and not minding the pot, NOT Mary Jane either) got brown yucky stuff on the bottom of the pan, add bleach and a little water and boil. Clean up is easy now.

Last edited by xxmamacitaprxx (2008-06-08 11:55:23)
  • Arroz con Dulce (rice pudding)dessert

1 cup raw medium rice
    6 cups coconut milk*
    6 cinammon sticks
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup seedless raisins
    1 1/4 tsp. salt
    Small piece of mashed ginger or 1/4 tsp. ground ginger (optional)
    Place 5 cups of the coconut milk (set 1 cup aside) in a deep (teflon) pot and add the raw rice. Let it soak for 2-2 1/2 hours.

After soaking the rice in the coconut milk, add ginger, cinammon sticks and salt to the pot.

Cook on low hear for 30-35 minutes, but DO NOT STIR.

After 30-35 minutes, add the sugar, the reserved cup of coconut milk and the raisins.

Continue to cook on low heat for another 40-45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes so it won't stick. Stir ONLY by moving the rice from the bottom of the pot to the top of the pot. Don't stir in a circle like motion.

When the rice and coconut is ready, sprinkle some cinammon on top and serve.

ok you now have a main course with my first post, my second post is a mix drink and now a dessert let me know what else ya need i have appetizers too
    you guessed it i'm a fruit cake lmao
  • Just for Stevie, here is my veggie Shepherd's Pie recipe (and no, I don't know why it's called a pie when there is no pastry involved!)

There is no hard and fast rule about now much of each of these ingredients you use, you can just use what you have and alter the proportions according to your taste - I've never made it quite the same way twice!

For the base:
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    2 carrots, grated
    1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 or 2 peppers, I prefer red and green
    Approx 10 mushrooms, sliced
    2 tins of beans, you can use berlloti, aduki, black eye, or tinned mixed beans
    Vegetarian mince (optional)
    Vegetable stock cube
    1 teaspoon of Marmite (Yeast extract)
    Dried mixed herbs
    2 bay leaves
    Black pepper

For the topping
    Black pepper
    Breadcrumbs (optional)
    Grated cheese (optional)

Saute the onions and garlic in a little olive oil
    Once the onions are clear, add the peppers and mushrooms (and veggie mince if you're using it) and cook until soft
    Add the grated carrot
    Meanwhile, dissolve the Marmite and stock cube into boiling water and add to the pan
    Also sprinkle in some dried herbs and black pepper (to taste) and the 2 bay leaves, then cover and leave to simmer for about 20-30 mins

Meanwhile, boil the potatoes and mash with butter and milk, and black pepper (the original recipe is vegan so you can use olive oil in the mashed potatoes instead)

Spread the base mixture into the bottom of an ovenproof dish(remembering to remove the bay leaves first) and spread the mash on top. If you want, you can then top the mash with grated cheese and/or breadcrumbs then bake in the oven at about 180oC until the top is brown and crispy.

Finally enjoy with crusty bread! Hope you try this and enjoy it

Last edited by Spicey (2008-06-08 15:04:46)
  • Ingredients:

3 -5 lbs Farm Raised Mussels (In a Bag, much cleaner than loose)
    Large Can of Tomatoes
    1 750ltr size of decent Red Wine
    8 cloves of Garlic
    Salt / Pepper
    ¼ Cup Olive Oil
    Crushed Red Pepper
    ½ loaf of Italian bread sliced into 1/2…nbsp; pieces
    Grated Italian Cheese
    1) Rinse Mussels well, remove any ‘beards’ from them
    place them in a large pot of cold water, add ½ cup
    of flour, stir. Let Mussels sit with floured water
    up to an hour. Rinse Mussels well, removing
    any flour and deposited sand from the bottom. Repeat.
    This cleans the mussels while the flour “feeds†
    and makes them more plump.
    Repeat this process one more time
    (This ‘cleans’ the Mussels while the eat the
    flour which makes them fuller)

2) In a large pot, add ¼ cup Olive Oil and 8 cloves
    Of Garlic. Sauté but do not brown.
    Any can of tomatoes and cook over medium
    Heat for ½ hour. Add bottle of wine and
    Cook for another 15 minutes. Add mussels
    And parsley, cover and cook until all mussels
    Have opened. Salt and Pepper to taste.
    Lots of Crushed Red Pepper ( to tolerance of heat)

3) Meanwhile, brush some olive oil on each
    Piece of bread, add a little grated cheese and
    Bake in a 400 degree oven until bread is
    Golden brown and toasted.

Pour Mussels/Tomato/Wine mix into a large bowl. Add Salt , Pepper, Red Pepper , Parsley, Grated cheese to taste. Add toasted pieces of bread and serve HOT.

• Ingredients:

6 large Portabella Mushrooms caps
    3 Italian Turkey Sausage links taken out of the casing
    1 small package of Mozzarella cheese
    1 tsp butter or olive oil
    Approximately 1 cup of your favorite tomato sauce

1-2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach leaves sautéed until slightly limp in 1 tsp of olive oil and 1 clove of garlic
    To prepare:

• Cut off the stems of the portabella mushrooms and then scrape off all the black gills.
    • Sauté the crumbled turkey sausage for about 15 minutes over medium heat , set aside.
    • In the same pan, add the butter and sauté the mushrooms on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the mushrooms and place on paper towels to absorb the excess liquid produced from cooking.

To assemble:

• Sprinkle crumbled sausage on the bottom of each mushroom cap.
    • Spoon on some tomato sauce.
    • Place sautéed spinach leaves on top. (if using)
    • Sprinkle the cheese over each mushroom like you do with pizza.
    To cook:

Bake on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree over for 15 minutes or until the cheese melts and starts to brown.

• Fennel Leek Soup
    1 Small Bunch Celery (1 pound)
    1 Bulb Fennel (1 pound)
    2 Medium Leeks
    1 Medium Garlic Clove
    1 Large Potato
    4 Tablespoons Butter
    1 Quart Chicken Stock
    ¾ Cup Half and Half
    1 Lemon
    ¼ Teaspoon hot red-pepper sauce
    Salt and Pepper Butternet Squash Soup
    1 Medium Garlic Clove
    1 Medium Onion
    1 Large Leek
    2 Medium Butternut Squash (4 pounds)
    1 Quart Chicken Stock
    ½ Cup Half and Half
    Salt and Pepper

Preparation and CookingFennel-Leek Soup: Trim and slice celery into ½ inch pieces. Core, trim and cut
    fennel into ½ inch dice. Rinse and coarsely chop the white part of the leeks. Reserve
    the green for use in the stock. Peel garlic clove. Peel and thinly slice potato.
    Melt butter in a 4 qt soup kettle. Saute the celery, fennel, leeks and garlic over medium
    heat until vegetables soften and release juices, about 15 minutes. Add potato and stock.
    Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and summer until vegetables are very soft, about
    40 minutes. Puree soup in 2cup batches in food processor fitted with metal blade until
    smooth., about 30 seconds. Return puree to kettle, stir in half and half. 1 teaspoon
    lemon juice, red-pepper sauce, 1 tsp salt and ¼ teaspoon white pepper. Set aside until
    serving time.For the Butternut-Squash Soup: Peel and mince garlic and onion. Rinse and
    coarsely chop white part of the leek. Peel, seed and cut squash into 1 inch cubes.
    Heat butter in 4 qt soup kettle. Saute garlic, onion and leek over medium heat
    until soften about 5 minutes. Add squash and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat,
    cover and simmer until vegetables are soften (40 minutes). Puree mixture (same
    as with the Fennel-Leek Soup). Return puree to kettle, stir in half and half, salt and

Serving: If soups have been refrigerated, warm over low heat. Use two measuring
    cups to simultaneously pour ½ cup of each soup into soup bowls. Do not mix
    soups together. Serve immediately

• 1 5lb Bag Russet Potatoes
    1 lb bacon
    6-8 hard boiled eggs (diced)
    6 stalks celery (diced)
    2 Giant Dill Pickles (optional)
    1 White onion (diced or minced)
    1 jar Mayonnaise (I prefer soy-based or non-fat)
    2-3 tbsp Mustard) Boil, peel and dice the potatoes.
    2) Boil, peel and dice the eggs.
    3) Cook the bacon and crumble.
    4) Rinse then dice the celery stalks.
    5) Dice the pickles and onion (if desired- I usually leave out the onion)
    6) Mix ingredients 1-5 in a large bowl.
    7) Pile about 2 Cups of the mayonnaise on top of the potato mixture then put the mustard on top of the mayonnaise- mix the mustard and mayo together then fold together with the rest of the potato salad.
    8) Fold mayo in to coat evenly- add more mayo as desired (I prefer as little mayo as possible- just enough to get it moist).
    9) Refrigerate until ready to serve (I like to cool the salad for at least 1-2 hours if possible).**All ingredients can have more or less added to the salad. Some people enjoy adding diced olives as well. My aunt puts paprika on top to add some prettiness and a little bit of flavor too. Others substitute sweet pickles for dill pickles. You can be creative with this- it is definitely a party favorite

• 3 Eggs
    1 Cup Vegetable Oil
    1 1/2 Cup Sugar
    1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
    2 Cup Flour
    1 Cup uncooked Oats
    1 Tbsp Cinnamon
    1 Tsp Baking Soda
    1 Tsp Salt
    1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
    2 Cup Any Type of Berry

1) Blend the Eggs, Sugar, Oil and Vanilla.
    2) In a separate bowl mix the Flour, Oats, Cinnamon, Baking Soda, Salt and Baking Powder.
    3) Mix the two bowls together and add the berries.
    4) Pour into 2 greased bread loaf pans.
    5) Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 1 hour or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean.
  • Crust Layer:
    1 box of Butter Cake Mix (or any flavor you prefer)
    1 Egg
    1/2 Cup Butter, melted
    1 Cup chopped Pecans

Cookie Layer:
    1 lb Powdered Sugar
    1/2 Cup Butter, melted
    8 oz (1 pkg) cream cheese, softened
    1 Cup chopped Pecan1) Mix crust ingredients and press into a 9x13" cake pan
    2) Mix powdered sugar, butter and cream cheese until combined
    3) Fold pecans into cookie layer mixture
    4) Pour cookie layer mixture over crust
    5) Bake 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes at 300 degrees Farenheit
    6) Let bars cool and cut into squares

Has the great texture of a brownie but the yummy flavor of a cookie! I like to sprinkle chocolate chips and chopped pecans on top for a little extra look and flavor!s
  • Wow this idea is great of all these recipes....
    I have a recipe for an appetizer (Middle Eastern) I hope you're familiar with this one..

Baba Ghanoush
    For this recipe, you will need:
    • 1 large eggplant
    • 2 tablespoons raw tahini
    • 1 lemon
    • 1 clove garlic• 3 tablespoons olive oil
    Roast the Eggplant
    First, we're going to roast the eggplant. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prick the eggplant in 4 or 5 different places. In the oven, place a pan on a lower rack to catch the juices, and then place the eggplant on the top rack.

As the eggplant cooks, turn the eggplant over as the skin darkens. You know your eggplant is ready when it starts dripping juice.

Keep the eggplant in the oven for about 40 to 50 minutes. The flesh should be fully cooked when the skin is blackened and the eggplant shrinks.
    Prepare the Baba Ghanoush Ingredients
    Cut off the ends, and take off the eggplant skins. If the eggplant is fully cooked, the skin should come off by itself. Chop your eggplant into several pieces.

Cut your lemon in half and squeeze the juice with a citrus reamer by turning it left then right. Crush the garlic clove using the side of a knife.
    Blend the IngredientsPlace your eggplant, lemon juice, garlic, tahini, and two tablespoons of olive oil into a blender. Turn the blender on high to mix your ingredients until their consistency is smooth. Then turn the blender off.
    Serve the Baba Ghanoush

Bon apetite..

• When my grandma was really sick with cancer and couldn't stand or sit for long periods of time, she never lost her love of cooking. She found a recipe for "Dump Cake"- basically, you take the ingredients and "dump" them into a 13"x9" pan then bake- way easy, way yummy and allowed her to keep baking as long as possible. Here it is:

1 Stick butter (not margarine), melted
    1 box cake mix (any flavor- yellow or white are best from what I've tried)
    1 can crushed pineapple (drained)
    1 can Comstock pie filling (I like cherry, boysenberry and apple- you can use any)
    1 cup chopped nuts (I like pistachios or pecans, but walnuts are popular too)
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Take a 13"x9" pan and spray with pam.
    Dump the melted butter.
    Dump the cake mix (evenly over the butter)
    Dump the crushed pineapple (evenly over the cake mix).
    Dump the Comstock pie filling (evenly over the pineapple).
    Sprinkle the chopped nuts evenly over the pie filling.

Bake for 30-45 minutes (check every 15 for browning corners- if they start to get too dark, put aluminum foil over the top to keep from burning. Cake should look firm when pan is shaken, but a toothpick will never come out clean because of the pie filling so you just have to play with timing in your own oven.

Really yummy- a popular family favorite, and almost no prep time!
  • Ok gang,,heres a no brainer. flatbread,aka,the flour tortilla
    get some
    white flour bout 3 cups
    some baking powder,tablespoon
    salt, justa pinch
    some good old school shortening, yes your arterys will harden and cring at the sight. about a palm full(yes)
    some warm water
    a rolling pin
    a cutting board a "comal" i dont know the english equivalentPour the flour into a largish mixing bowl, put the salt and baking soda in too,
    kneed till a little gooey, them add a little warm water to dough mix and kneed again. add water as needed to make a cohesive mix like bread dough
    fold and kneed to properly mix the ingreedients, then

heat a pan or flat cooking aparatus. to where a drop of water would sizzle, then grab a bit of dough,about the side of a small biscuit, then roll it around to make a small thick patty. roll it out with a rolling pin on a floured surface,a cutting board will do, till around 10 inches around or so, it will be the eyball method. then put on heated pan .
    bubbles will form, but flip when tan and white and cooked . its cooked when its not doughy any more.
  • ingredients
    1 loaf of white bread,you can experiment with others,but this is how ive eaten it
    some cheddar cheese,sharp ads a savor to it but can use longhorn,or mild
    a medium size box of raisins,dark
    a cup of peacans
    come cinnamon sticks,you adjust the ferocity of the cin,by how much you decide to use, this aint no cinnamon roll.

OOH K..
    put a small pot of water to boil,throw in the cinnamon sticks,and raisins and bring to a slow boil. but not too much..or else dead mushy raisin go till the fill out a bit.
    get a high sided baking dish.
    toast the loaf of bread to a nice dark tan or brown and then set aside.
    grate some of the cheese,1.... or 2 cups max.i like cheesy
    chop up the pecans to look like granola set aside
    now assemble.in the high sided baking dish, put down a layer of the toast on the bottom,
    put some of the raisins from the lot you kept hot on the breadspread about, then some of the cheese shred. add some nut
    repeat to build up the layers
    when your at the top put the final layer of raisins and nuts. get some of the cinnamon water and use a cup to liberally pour over the layer, yes its gonna soggy the bread a little but... you'll get it with practice
    use a fork to see if all the layers are soaked, then put final layer of cheese grate on top.
    Put in oven and heat till the cheese is all melted good,not burnt though.

It takes a little practice to get it right but when its on..ITS ON!
    take out of the oven and take a sneek taste.
    serve warm/hot
  • My favorite Lasagna recipe growing up.
    Prep:10m Cook:45m Servings:10

1 lb Ground Beef
    1 Clove Garlic
    3 Tbsp Parsely Flakes
    1 Tbsp Basil
    1 tsp Oregano
    3 tsp Salt
    1 lb Can Peeled Whole Tomatoes
    2 6oz Cans Tomatoe Paste
    1 Large Carton Small Curd Cottage Cheese
    2 Eggs
    1/2 tsp Pepper
    1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
    2 Packages Sliced Mozzarella Cheese
    3/4 Box Lasagna Noodles
    Brown 1 lb ground beef. Drain grease from meat.
    Mix and Simmer: beef, 1 clove of garlic, 1 Tbsp of parsely flakes, 1 Tbsp of basil, 1 tsp of oregano, 1 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 lb can of tomatoes, and 2 6oz cans of tomatoe paste.
    Mix in a separate bowl: 1 large carton of small curd cottage cheese, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper, 2 Tbsp of parsely flakes, and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese.
    Boil 3/4 of a box of Lasagna Noodles.
    Layer the following in a casserole dish: cover the bottom of the dish with noodles, 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture, 1 package of sliced mozzarella, 1/2 of meat mixture, and then repeat layering again...
    Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
    Bake 30 minutes uncovered.
    Let set for 20-30 minutes.(The longer it sets the better it comes together)
    serves well with garlic bread and a salad
  • You all have brought up so many OLD memories....lol SPAM, CRISCO, ON A SHINGLE!!!!! What great memories, and yes you can still get CRISCO or find it in other off brand names....usually under the name "SHORTENING"

I have a couple of recipes, one that my husband my kill me (j/k) for giving away but well live is short any way so I will tell you all......I find the best dishes are the ones that we make up do to just having to make something out of what we have on hand (short for being POOR!!!! LOL) or just playing around simply to find something NEW to try My husband is the real CHIEF around here but I have a couple of things that even he cant make the way I do.... Oh and be warned I don't measure anything either, it's just to taste

PAN FRIED MEAT LOAF (made out of necessity years ago when my oven went out)
    Hamburger (the cheaper the better, it seems to keep it's moister better) the amount depends on how big you want your meat loaf.
    Salt-to taste
    Pepper-to taste
    Garlic-to taste, powder, fresh, or diced in jar, we always keep a BIG jar in the fridge
    Onion-one large onion or more as desired, dice to what ever size you like
    2 Large Eggs (more or
    depending again on how big your meat loaf*Crackers
    *Added Moister
    *Oh and even CHEESE!!!!

I have made it anywhere from 2 pounds of hamburger to 5 pounds of hamburger. When you make 2 pounds you can pretty much fry it in just your standard frying pan. When bigger I have found it much easier to fry it on a BIG griddle. However you cook it, it takes two spatulas to flip the meat loaf. When on the griddle I have found it much easier to cut in half and then flip, it still takes two spatulas to turn.....lol

*Crackers-you can use standard saltine crackers, RITZ, or seasoned stuffing cubes. I'm not fond of the saltine crackers. But which ever you choose, I put in a large z-lock baggies and use my rolling pin until very fine. However the finer you make them the more of it you need.
    *Added Moister-you can add just about anything you want for added flavor. I prefer Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing, but your imagination is your only limit on this. This is just another version, you don't have to add this to your meat loaf. But if you do also adjust your eggs added.

Of course this HAS to be mixed by hand!!!! Mix all your ingredients together except the crackers. It seems to help mix the other ingredients together more evenly. Then add your crackers. When you're done it should be pretty much the same consistency as your oven cooked meat loaf, maybe a little moister.

Then simply fry until about half cooked and flip (very carefully I have to admit this part isn't always easy)

Goes great with mashed potatoes, and any veggie, but I prefer steamed broccoli!! Yummy.

Hope you like it as much as we do, even the kids beg me to make this.
    Eat and enjoy,

• Banana Cookies
    (makes 3-4 dozen)

2 cups flour(sifted)
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp cloves(ground)
    2 fresh bananas( the browner the outside the better)
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 tsp cinnamon( I always put quite a bit more because I like cinnamon)
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract Pre heat oven to 375
    Mix all dry ingredient together in a bowl. In another bowl smash up the bananas really well until it is somewhat liqiudy(makes it easier when mixing with the rest of the ingredients). Put all wet ingredients in another bowl, an slowly mix the wet and dry ingredients together. This can be done by hand or mixer, but I suggest mixer(it is much cleaner). Butter the pans you are going to be using so the cookies dont stick. I make mine about a tbsp big.
    Cook then for 10-12 mins.

Hope you enjoy, mine always go so fast.

*opinional* 1/2 cup walnu
  • Zucchini Bread
    (will make to loafs)
    (cant tell that there is zucchini in it and it taste just like a cake)

3 eggs
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    3 cups flour (sifted)
    2 cups shredded zucchini (drain any water from zucchini)
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 cup chopped walnuts

Mix every thing but zucchini in together. Once everything is mixed add in the zucchini and mix it into the batter.

Place batter evenly into to buttered and floured bread loaf pans.
    Pre heat oven and cook at 325 for 1hour and 15mins
  • Strawberry Jello cake

Need one box of white cake mix (I use pillsbury)
    one small box of strawberry jello powder mix (if you dont like strawberry can use a flavor you like instead).
    One container of cool whip.

Follow and bake the cake as the box directs.

Once cake is done let it cool for at least 45mins, to where it is no longer warm.

Poke a lot of small holes into the cake (I use a fork) so when you add the jello it can soak up the liquid better.

Make the jello as directed on the box. Once you have finished mixing the jello, (it is still liquid), slowly pour the jello over the cake.

Let cake sit in refrigerartor for at least 3 hours so jello can thicken.

Last, Put cool whip on the top and serve.

• OK here goes recipe number two:

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts-your favorite nice 'n thick, your going to cut a pocket into them or if you can get the butcher to do it for you even better!!!!

Wish Bone Italian Salad Dressing-BIG bottle, or your favorite kind of Italian dressing

One box of frozen spinach, like 12oz-if you don't like spinach like me, don't worry it tastes nothing like just eating spinach!!!!

Parmesan Cheese-how ever much you want but be careful don't add to much

*Flavored Stuffing cubes-just enough to help absorb the moister
    Split a nice size pocket in you chicken breast if not already done for you but make sure that you cut it evenly in the middle.

Put frozen spinach in a colander and run warm water till thawed, then put into paper towel and drain all the water off.

*Flavored Stuffing-these has to be crushed, doesn't have to be fine like a powder, but crush pretty small (a lot is going in the pocket and it has to fit...lol Now here is a trick, I get a box or two of Stove Top Stuffing, depending on how many breasts I'm cooking and when I crush the cubes I mix in a little of the seasoning from the boxes
    Mix the spinach in a nice size bowl, add parmesan cheese to taste, now add your crushed stuffing the finally add Italian dressing to moisten everything. Now just stuff your chicken breasts. Line them up in a good size baking dish (something shallow where all the chicken will fit in one layer. Then pour Italian dressing all over them till covered. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Take chicken out of baking dish and line up on your broiler pan and cook till done half way through (should be just slightly brown, don't want to dry them out) then turn and cook the rest of the way till done. Takes like (if I remember, haven't made it in a while) 3 minutes on each side.

Even my kids love this and they HATE spinach, as I do!!!!

Hope you love it as much as we do, and you can be inventive with this recipe!!!! Find out how you like it best. But truly give the spinach a try

Eat Well,
    This is SOOOOOOO easy to make!!!!
  • Bruce’s Tiramisu

2 egg yokes
    2 tbsp caster sugar
    2 tsp vanilla essence
    400g (14oz) mascarpone cheese
    4 tbsp strong coffee (e.g. plunger coffee powder)
    2 tbsp coffee liqueur (e.g. Kahlua) – on second thoughts, double it!
    20 ladyfinger biscuits (Boudoir biscuits http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/ … ingers.htm)

1. Make a cup of strong coffee using the coffee powder, and let cool. When cool, add the liqueur.
    2. Place the egg yokes, vanilla essence and sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk slowly until creamy.
    3. Slowly add the mascarpone cheese, while still beating slowly, 2 tbsp at a time.
    4. Place the coffee & coffee liqueur mixture in a shallow dish and dip each biscuit in for a couple of seconds – just long enough to absorb some of the coffee and liqueur but not long enough for the biscuit to become soggy – do the biscuits one at a time. However, you don’t want the biscuits too dry either. (This is the key step to the successful tiramisu!)
    5. Arrange a single layer of biscuits in the bottom of an 8…nbsp; x 8…nbsp; dish. Spread half of the mascarpone cheese mixture over the top of the biscuits.
    6. Repeat step 5 with the remaining biscuits and mascarpone cheese.
    7. Dust with cocoa powder until you cannot see the white cream cheese through the cocoa powder and chill in the fridge until set.

As mentioned, the key to this successful tiramisu is wetting the biscuits sufficiently but not making them too soggy, AND using a good quantity of Kahlua!

• ;) Thanks so much Cory!!! I am sure that Beth is going to be as happy as I am!! You are the bomb!!
  • Cory , you are amazing....thank you so much for taking the time to do this....