Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Large posterior central disc

ZazazaZZazaza Posts: 2
edited 09/04/2014 - 12:28 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all,
I am a 19 years old girl and i have lower back pain for two years. 7 months ago I took MRI and it showed I have a large posterior central disc at L4 and L5.
My first dr offered me to do surgery but i didn't accept it. Although I am doing physical therapy, I don't see any improvement at all! And even it is getting worst. Sometimes the pain comes to my leg. Sometimes it is shooting.... I even cant stand up for a short time.
By the way, my dr asked me to do MRI again and it seems like not only I have LARGE posterior central disk, but also spinal stenosis!!! That is really weird because i am really young to have these problems!
Although i have so much pain sometimes and even I have problem with sleeping, I don't feel any numbness.
Now i would like to ask you... If you were me, what would you do?
I really don't like to do surgery and honestly I am afraid of that..
I dont see any improvement... I am doing physical therapy, using head pat every night but still nothing!!!
Is surgery really the last choice?
Thank you in advance :)

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    If I were you I would seek maybe two more opinions from highly qualified medical professionals.
    You are very wise not to jump into anything too soon.
    Good luck and let us all know what you find.
  • I agree, I would seek a second and third opinion!
  • What are the two more options?
  • Getting second/third opinion is a great idea. Sometimes when a disc is pressing on a nerve for a long time it can cause damage to the nerve in which case even if the disc no longer presses on the nerve, there may be still be the nerve pain (sciatica) and/or tingling, weakness, numbness etc. This is why surgery is sometimes recommended sooner in these cases. In your shoes, I would research until I understood the problem and the proposed operation. Like has been mentioned, I would get multiple opinions. The more the better. This exercises also doubles as a way to meet different surgeons, helping you to choose one to operate, if you decide to go ahead with it. Find out as much as you can about the surgeons you are considering. Ask about success rates, how many times he has performed the operation you are to have. Ideally you want someone who is doing that procedure a lot so they are skilled at it. Best of luck with your decision.