Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Pain Post Op L4/S1 PLIF ALIF 360

Hi Again Everyone, I am now 6 weeks post op and I have incredible nerve pain. I have terrible, throbbing pain on top of my ankle, like it is sprained and swollen. The worst pain is my foot. OMGosh!! When I walk, it feels like I'm walking on ping pong balls, but the worst pain is my toes and top of my foot. The top of my big toe, between my big toe and the next toe, and the next toe feel like they are on FIRE ! I can't wear a shoe or sandal and I can't even let a sheet touch them! I can't let ANYTHING touch them! I'm taking 1800 mg Neuronton, 3000mg Robaxin every day and Percocet 4 times a day. If I'm not better by Monday, my Neuro says he'll give me a Medrol dose pack. He says this can be normal but, OMG! I'm am trying cold packs and heat, but I am miserable! I feel like it's getting worse too! I am feeling really defeated..I just want to get better and get on with my life! Does anyone relate?

• Peggy - your symptoms are very close to mine, although I had Micro D and a Laminectomy L5-S1. Just like you I have severe foot numbness, pain and burning. I'm now 3 months out and still can't wear a shoe. I got a fwp MRI last week to rule out a reherniation and the Dr said it was clean, so he set me up to get a spine injection this week. I hope this helps me, since Gabapentin and Lyrica have not helped at all. My burn is now not as bad as it was, for the 1st month my baby toe was on fire all the time, if I could have cut it off I would have. I keep hearing like everyone else to give it time, but it gets harder by the day. Keep positive!!! From what everyone tells me it could take a year.
  • PeggyMcPPeggyMc Glendora, CaPosts: 17
    Hi Rod, how are you now? My pain and burning in my foot and toes has been gradually getting better. I actually put on a tennis shoe!!! Did you get the injection? Any relief? I spoke to my Dr's PA and my Dr wants to do an injection too. I had 4 of these just prior to my surgery...they were of no help. I see him next Tuesday , so we shall see. What was the date of your surgery? Mine was 6/24 and 6/25.. I think you are about a month ahead of me. I would love to hear how you are doing. I hope you are doing well.
  • Hey Peggy, I'm glad your doing better! My surgery was 6/10/14. I'm still doing about the same, but the burning has subsided a little. I had the ESI last Thursday and I have yet to feel any relief from it. I went to PT today and they said it can take a week or two, but I don't think it's going to work. I do have my EMG nerve testing tomorrow, so I hope I get good news. I can wear a tennis shoe, but it gets uncomfortable very quick. I think I have nerve damage, but hope it regenerates soon. I will let you know how my EMG test goes. If I can just get the numbness / pain to go I would feel great as I have little to no back pain. I hope you continue to get better!!!!!!