Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member trying to deal with recovery

SLD1029SSLD1029 Posts: 10
edited 09/06/2014 - 5:04 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi I'm new to this forum. I had ACDF on May 16th 2014. I had suffered with numbness, tingling, weakness,and irregular breathing issues for four years. I had an MRI (2010) that showed stenosis and a bone spur. The symptoms were predominantly on the right side of my body until the last couple of years. To manage my symptoms over the years, I tried acupuncture, physical therapy, chiropractors, massaged therapy, and ice/heat therapy.
Before surgery, I had symptoms in all my limbs. I was so weak that I couldn't take care of my basic needs without assistance. After several emergency rooms visits, my PA ordered an MRI. The test showed that vertebrae c4/c5 had deteriorated, were pinching a nerve, and the disk had herniated and was pushing on my spine cord. Vertebrae c6/c7 are deteriorating and have a bone spur.
The surgery went well. The neurosurgeon decided to focus on C4/C5 (He decided not to do anything with C6/C7 at this time). He removed the bone spur, replaced the herniated disk, and fused the vertebrae. The recovery has been difficult. I had a setback about week after surgery. I was walking and turned my head quickly because a stray dog jumped on me. I have had difficulty swallowing, I am dealing muscle spasms daily. To get through the day, I use heat/ice therapy, my TENS machine, a tennis ball in a sock to do pressure point massage, and my husband massages my back several times a day. I have just ordered a therapy cane and hope that it will help with the pain that I'm in as a result of the spasms. I also take Valium at night.
I was doing okay dealing with the spasms until my PT started to add more strength training and leg work to my regimen. I now have constant pain, tingling, numbness, and weakness, in my extremities. I am also dealing with breathing difficulties, nausea, and a racing pulse. My neurosurgeon ordered an x-Ray of my neck, and said everything looked fine. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel so discouraged! I'm open to any and all suggestions. I just celebrated four months, and I feel like I'm starting from scratch again. Thanks, Sher