Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what kind of nursing

I am a registered nurse who works in the emergency room. I am a 54 year old male who recently had the disc between C5-C6 replaced along with fusion. Before the surgery I had intense pain, burning, and tingling in my right arm and chest for two months before surgery. The bone spur was pressing up against my nerve and the doctor chipped the bone away. My question is would be go back to the ER or would another field of nursing be recommended. I still get some tingles in my right arm and occasional tightness and aches to my neck and shoulders. I am in physical therapy right now and life is beginning to get boring....any suggestions....thanks

• Spiny_MaloneSSpiny_Malone Posts: 225
    edited 09/06/2014 - 2:50 PM
    Out of the many visits trying to get people in ER to notice my symptoms as a critical nerve damage I met 2 doctors... one who had a sciatic nerve pinch and drop foot...and one who hurt her upper back and suffered nerve damage in her arm. If you can work with your job to find the best fit for your capabilities that would be ideal. Are you backt work yet?

Thank you for doing what you do. Nurses are the best! I hope you are able to do what challenges you mentally with the right amount of physical for you.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    As most know your career is very hard on the spine both upper and lower. Reaching over a bed or gurney lifting a body is no easy task no matter how good of shape you are in. There is just no easy or correct way you can always do it. That being said you need to make that decision whether you want to or not put yourself at future risk of possibly more spinal issues.
    I agree with Spiny_Malone, nurses are the best and are who I feel are the unsung heroes of the medical profession.
    Wish you the best in the future.
  • Welcome to Spine Health.....http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

Any professional restrictions would need to come from your doctor. Once your body has fully recovered, and healed, you may find that having to change your duties isn't as much of a consideration as it is right now. You are only 4 months out post op, and believe it or not, you will continue to see improvements and changes as you get further out from surgery, a year or two years later . Fusion surgeries take a longer period of time to see where you will be recovery wise, than other surgeries.
    If your surgeon hasn't discussed changing your duties, he may not feel that your fusion is going to interfere with your ability to continue working the ER.

• rn1guyrrn1guy Posts: 2
    edited 09/12/2014 - 9:33 AM
    Thanks for your suggestions people and your welcome....will be seeing nurse practioner on Monday since my disability ends on Wed.....do have some applications in the works...will keep you updated.