Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SO TICKED off at my doc...and myself

I was supposed to have an ACDFI on Tuesday but it is delayed because my PCP wont clear me for surgery. They wont clear me because they want me to get some dental work done first. I understand the risks of having infections but I need more dental work than I can afford to pay for. My dental insurance isn't much better than a glorified coupon and it limits severely on who I can see. As far as right now, I have no idea when I will get this surgery done. My surgeon explained to the PCP the importance of this surgery being done asap because of the spinal cord compression but they are still not willing to work with me. I am trying to find money somewhere but I have nothing. I guess I don't understand why they cant just prescribe an antibiotic to deal with the "infection" they assume I have. I have a horrible fear of the dentist due to past horrid experiences and a very strong gag reflex that makes xrays almost impossible. I tried going to a regular dentist on Friday but they suggested I go see someone that practices sedation dentistry after failed attempts at the rear xrays. They don't know that I actually have an infection but they assume that I do because of a tooth that broke last year and I couldn't afford to get it fixed(I accidently hit my face with a snow shovel handle last year while shoveling). This is extremely frustrating and embarrassing. This surgery cant be put on hold for long. I don't know what to do. I asked the dr. why they don't just give me an antibiotic for now if they are that concerned about it. They said that they wont because they don't want my body to become resistant to antibiotics. IT has been 3.5 yrs. since I was last one and several years before that that I had them before that. I just want to scream and cry like a 2 yr. old.
Tracie C


  • I understand your frustration but there is a solid medical reason for them wanting the tooth issues taken care of first. Your teeth are embedded in the bone of your jaw. Infection can easily spread into the jaw. The neck is so close in proximity to your jaw, and your cervical spine, that the risks are just too darn high to go ahead with a surgery in your cervical spine and risk a serious bone infection.
Sign In or Register to comment.