Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medical Marijuana

Does anyone know if it helps for tightness in spasticity?

• Quote - "Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), available in the drug dronabinol, is the main active ingredient in cannabis. Cannabinoids have been shown to have efficacy in treating spasticity and are currently being studied. Anecdotal reports by individuals with SCI have also revealed a beneficial effect of marijuana on the management of spasticity. Some literature supports the hypothesis that the relaxing effect of marijuana on muscles in patients with SCI-related spasticity is due to an antispastic effect, perhaps inhibition of polysynaptic reflexes, rather than simply due to a general relaxation response."

I'm sure you're aware of all ways in which marijuana research is currently hindered. No-one can really answer your question. There are limited studies that indicate it could be very useful in reducing the different pains, depression & anxiety associated with chronic pain but until further testing has been done we don't really know.
    I personally believe that if you live in a legal state & have the support of your PM doc it could be worth trying. Please remember that even in legal states many PMs will automatically dismiss you if a urine test is positive for marijuana just like any other 'medication' not prescribed by your doc.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I went. Fri day. Go back this. Friday for the axual dr. Office call..
    pay a couple hundred dollars and get the ok.
    Thanks for the info.
    My next question is,,, what brand name of pot do I want to try.
    I prefer brownies ..I don't smoke it.
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 09/08/2014 - 3:43 AM
    I know they do special pain blends that are supposed to produce less of a 'high' but more of the qualities we need for our pain. I'm answering in theory based on conversations with friends in California who swear by it. I've never been into one of the 'shops' in America but I assume they will be nice & helpful if you explain your requirements & concerns. I know they do a variety of different products. I've never researched if different foods yield better results. Could be absorbed better with fat content?? I'd ask. I bet they will be very knowledgable like European places.

Please let us know how you get on. I'm very interested. Would you consider keeping a pain diary for us? Are you continuing with prescription meds or trying just medical marijuana?
    I have been using meditation & visualization. I read about the reduction in brain gray matter that chronic pain causes & separate studies show meditation 'could' help reverse these effects. I've wondered if meditation would be easier, more effective with marijuana to relax. Have you tried any kind of meditation?
    Sorry to use you as a 'test subject' but I've never known anyone who's about to start marijuana therapy.

Good luck! I really hope this works for you.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • charryccharry Posts: 5,657
    edited 09/09/2014 - 12:33 PM
    I was interested in MMJ as well but my Pain Management Dr. says not enough studies and it can trigger schizophrenia. My brother who was a teen user ended up with schizophrenia. Good luck with this med. Charry

.. just sharing what happened in my brother`s situation and what my Qualified Pain Management Anesthetist told me that the 16 Anesthetists Specializing in pain control had a meeting and said there needs to be more studies done....

I think personally not my professional opinion would accept vaporized medical marijuana for terminal or older patients who suffer long term pain
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • TiffanyBlue805TTiffanyBlue805 Posts: 4
    edited 09/12/2014 - 3:05 PM
    I am in California and have access to medical marijuana. I have found smoking marijuana can actually make my pain levels increase and muscles to tighten. But tinctures (drops) with high levels of CBD's DO help and provide loads of pain relief as well as a level of energy and clarity I don't usually feel because I'm so exhausted from my pain. They don't make you feel all loopy or loaded. (Of course, two dropper-fulls might make you a bit goofy, but I don't use that much.) The drops I'm currently using are called nTernal. .

Post edited to remove website...Liz spine-health moderator..
  • I would really like to hear how the MM(medical marijuana) works for you and what kind. I have a Dr. who has said he would drop me if I came up positive for thc. SO I have stayed away from it. But there has to be something that will help my ongoing pain. 4 years this Nov. had an accident and finally surgery last summer, L-4,L-5,S-1. A mess, now have pain in left hip, low back down leg. HATE it. HAve suffered severe depression, Suicide attempt, and numerous Dr.s. What is so hard about wanting to be pain free and functional. Rediculous. My restrictions are so absurd that I may as well be high.
  • When learning to live with chronic pain, there is no such animal as "pain free". That condition exists prior to injury or damage resulting on permanent damage.
    Part of learning to live with chronic pain is learning to accept that it is what it is, and is now a part of our lives. How we chose to view it, to learn to manage it, to keep it a part of , but not consume our lives is part and parcel of living with chronic pain.
    The reality is that there is no amount of medication that will eliminate chronic pain....otherwise it wouldn't be chronic. We have to learn to use various treatments, excercises, stretches, therapies, biofeedback, guided imagery, distraction, otc products, swimming, physical therapy , and then medications to manage our pain levels, learn new ways of doing things, and at times, make adjustments to what we do in order to bring our pain levels down to a manageable level.
    Medications are only one small, very small part of lving with chronic pain......

• Im so sorry that you're suffering so much. I also struggle with 'those' thoughts that come with chronic pain. I saw a chronic pain psycologist at my clinic. It wasn't like therapy, she was really good at developing coping mechanisms to get me through the hardest parts of my day. Like Sandi says, pain free is nothing but a distant fantasy for me. It's all about using everything & anything I can to make life more manageable. For me managing my mind & my attitude is half the battle. Distraction works well for me. I have so many hobbies & projects. Anything to get excited about, something to keep my mind off of the pain. I doesn't always help...I'm a work in progress!

I've done a lot of research into medical marijuana. I spoken in detail to some people who use it. I'm sorry to disappoint but I don't think it will ever be the 'magic bullet' that a lot of us are searching for. I believe it could help as part of a chronic pain patients 'blend' but I haven't found that its anymore effective than narcotics. Everyone I know are still using prescription meds with marijuana. They say their pain levels are lower. It's easier to focus on other things but only 1 person I know is taking less meds since starting to use 'pain blend' marijuana.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Hello. I've been reading some very old posts and just found these more recent posts. I live in NJ and received my MM card almost 2 weeks ago because my pain doc insisted I try the medical marijuana. Several months prior to getting my card and making such a large $$ investment I decided to try several different types of pot. I did keep a diary during my experiments. I had success with 2 different kinds of "street" pot, however, both made me so "wasted" all I could do was sleep, So I summed it up as either it definitely helped me with taking away all my pain or I just didn't care because I was so high which was totally not my objective. I went to the dispensary and met with the counselor. The dispensary here is fairly new and doesn't have a huge selection of strains so for my purposes, (high in CBD's and low in THC) I was told to get Bubba Berry for day time and Harlequin at night because it also acts as a relaxant. The BB is supposed to give energy, increase productivity and be one of the best pain relievers. Here's the catch for me, I've been smoking it or use the vapor at different times of day/night but with only 2 hits, I am buzzed and don't get the relief I need. During the daytime, this isn't good for me because I get nothing done. I keep hoping the my body will get tolerant of it so I can smoke what I need to reap the benefits of pain relief. However, using the Harlequin every night has gotten me sleeping through the night and off my nightly morphine dose. I still take all my pain meds during the day and take the last percocet and muscle relaxant about 8pm and smoke anywhere between 10 pm and 2 am and can then sleep without pain. I hope this answers some of your questions.
    Lisa Hess