Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My intro

Neck of Steel CindyNNeck of Steel Cindy Posts: 1,064
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in New Member Introductions
Since we are all new memebers to the new site, I thought it would be good to do an introduction. So here goes.

I am 42 years old (oh my--midway through life!), live in Idaho, and love to have fun. Unfortunately a bad neck gets in the way of that sometimes, but I try to make the most of it.

I am married (22 years to the same man, yay), have 4 daughters and one son, ranging in ages from 11 to 19, with the 19 year olds being boy/girl twins. Life is busy in my one bathroom house :? One day if you read a news headline of "Sister kills because she couldn't get in bathroom" or "Sisters go wild because someone used their bobby pins", just think of me and my house.

I had an amazing job working in real estate as an assistant to the broker. I loved it, and was somewhat of a workaholic. Life was good. Then I injured my neck and everything changed. I ended up having a 3 level ACDF C5 to T1 and expected to go back to work within just a couple of weeks. What was I thinking????? I had complications during surgery which resulted in cord damage, and I struggled to regain strength for walking and other motor control. Finally, I was able to walk without even limping most times, and then found out I needed a revision. Whoa--not on your life was I going to let another surgeon close to my cord.

well, never say never. About 7 weeks ago I had the revision, and it was the best decision I could have made. I'll likely always have some nerve damage from the cord injury, but a lot of the issues are improving, and for that I am very grateful.

I still like to have fun, just had to learn different ways to do this. I can't wait until I can go snowmachining again, or hiking, or just being wild and crazy. I'll give up roller coasters and theme park rides, but I want to go sky jumping---yes, I'm crazy! And scuba diving.

Those are goals that I hope will come later, but for the time being I just take it one day at a time and keep living.

My objective for being a member here on spine-health is to return the good deeds that were done for me by giving support to others who may be scared or anxious about their own medical problems. If I can help in any way, please PM me. I also still need support and encouragement as I continue recovering from my recent surgery. It was a big one, and I know it will take some time. But I hope to give support as well as take, and I hope to help others forget their pain for a few minutes by just having fun with them in chat.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!

• I am glad you are feeling better- for those of us who aren't familiar with necks what is ACDF?

Peace ;)

• hi! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. we can use a few wild and crazy people on the forum! lol! i hope your recovery continues to go well. please keep us posted about your recovery. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Hi Cindy, Glad to see you here on the new site.
    Hope things are going well for you
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • So glad to see that you came on over....great to have you here sweetie.... :)
  • Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion

They go in from the front of your throat and remove the problem discs, clean things up, and then insert either cadaver bone or your own bone to create a fusion to fill in where the disc space was.

My revision was a little more complicated. They removed the old hardware anteriorly, cleaned things up, removed a couple of vertebrae, inserted a cage and plate, and then turned me over and cleaned up some more, total decompression of my cord, and then put in rods and pins in the back.

An ACDF is sort of the gold standard for surgical remedies to c-spine problems. However the artificial disc is becoming more and more popular.

I hope these explanations help. Sorry for not explaining. There are way too many abbreviations for us to learn! On the old site there is a post with a glossary of acronyms and definitions. I'll see if I can find it and bring it over to the new place.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • You silly lady. I've been around here for a couple of years, so you already know me. But thanks for the welcome again, and I guarantee I'll be around for a while. ;)
  • Miki, that is a new one. I don't think I've ever been called that. Makes me feel young :jawdrop:

Good to see you here too. 8)
  • Nice to see you here. You know you're my hero of sorts and I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have your progress to follow!

I like the site and am looking forward to all the new posts. Sometimes change is GOOD!

This discussion has been closed.