Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Increase pain and grinding

Has anyone had it where 6 months after a fusion, pain increased and your back started grinding again?

I had a fusion 6 months ago from L4-S1. I got the stomach flu about 2 months after surgery. Ever since the pain keeps getting worse in my lower back, but before getting sick I felt amazing and most days only took 1 pain killer.

One of the doctors I saw thought the pain was coming from L3/L4. At first my surgeon told me it was just soft tissue and that my x-rays looked good and everything. He cleared me to take Motrin again a few weeks ago, and once I started taking that, I can feel a bone-on-bone grinding feeling in my back when I lay on my stomach (that is how I sleep, my surgeon says that it is ok). I had this before my surgery - was the reason for the fusion - and he said that he saw what was grinding and fixed it (had to separate my vertebra and make me taller :)).

I e-mailed my surgeon last week Monday and he ordered me an MRI and they made me move my next appointment up. My MRI is Saturday, and my appointment with him is the Thursday after. Has anyone else had this? I am concerned he will say I need more surgery. Right now I take more medications than I did before my last surgery, and that was the other reason for having surgery.

I am just frustrated and concerned and ready to feel better again like I did before getting sick. Has anyone had this? Will he be able to see from the MRI what is causing the grinding? My last MRI from before surgery was "inconclusive" according to my PCP, but then my surgeon did surgery based on that and my pain.