Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am Having My 8th Spinal Surgery (4th PLIF & XLIF) in 7 Years

OMGMyAchinBackOOMGMyAchinBack Dix Hills, Long Island, NYPosts: 15
Hi. I haven't been back here since 2011. I am having my 8th surgery on Nov. 7, 2014. Putting it off as I have too many family commitments. My last surgery was in January 2013. It was a revision surgery (PLIF & XLIF) @ L4/5. I had a decompression in April 2011. It was a failed fusion. My 2nd. I am now having a full decompression @ L3/4 with both PLIF & XLIF, better known as 360 degree fusion. It is the only way I will fuse. Six of the surgeries and the next one have been performed by one of the best spinal surgeons at the Hospital for Special Surgery. Not looking forward to this but it has been a way of life for me for the last 7 years.

I am not looking for any info as I am as learned about this subject as are many spinal surgeons.

Wish the best to all who suffer. We are the only ones who know the fate we all share!!

• davidwright242ddavidwright242 Posts: 32
    edited 09/19/2014 - 3:44 PM
    I am looking at a ALIF-PLIF or XLIF-PLIF revision for a failed PLIF L4-L5 from about a year ago. I am terrified of a ALIF-PLIF, I have heard about so many people being nerve damaged after or never properly healing etc....

How was your XLIF-PLIF that you had in Jan 2013? I am getting the impression that not a lot of doctors know how to do XLIF's and that is why its not always an option, though with a revision there are more considerations due to cleanup etc. and XLIF's are not a well suited for that than a ALIF is.

That is a lot of surgeries 'OMG'.... hopefully you get back online, id like to hear about your experiences, thanks !

--) Dave (--