Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks post microdisectomy surgery and it feels I am getting worse

I recently had surgery on my l4 and l5 microdisectomy surgery to fix a bulging disc in my back about 20 days ago. I then spent two days in the hospital, and began walking with a walker for about three days after until I graduated to a cane. I began to walk with a cane for a few more days until about a week later when I began to walk without any support. From that point on I began to do 2 daily walks if about 6 blocks twice a day. My pain was still there in my foot during the evening and morning and my back could be stiff due to sleep. About the tenth day post-op I went to see the doctor to have the bandage removed and the strips on the scar removed. Everything had been going well until about 5 days later which would be the 15 day post-op when I felt that I was almost where I started from. I had more trouble getting out of bed, a lot of nerve pain in my left foot and pain in my lower back by the disc that was out. Now I was confused how this pain could've returned but it might have been from myself getting too brave and trying to walk too far on a Saturday night to meet a friend. I actually didn't meet the friend and ended up going home but limping poorly on the way home. I returned to my doctor on the 17th day and let him know of the pain and he prescribed me methylprednisolone pills to be taken on a schedule. The same day is could see that my body was leaning to my left and my hips were facing the other way. He had said if the pain or the meds don't help I might need another mri. The same day I went to get the pills by walking but I had to use a cane and stopped many times to raise my left foot which was pretty painful. Now two days later I can walk but the impact from walking is felt in my lower back and I can't walk with good posture and I am hunched over. I still have the pain in my foot and it can make it hard to sleep at this point. But would anyone recommend physical therapy for myself to help me heal? I almost feel that I am begining to get worse and I'm not as bad as I was before surgery. But that the surgery might've helped for about two weeks but everything is starting to get worse again. I have not done any core exercises to help myself and I hope that the combination of core exercises and phys therapy can help me.