Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to the forum

srich1969ssrich1969 Posts: 3
edited 09/09/2014 - 5:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everyone!

I am a new member, but have been watching posts and researching on this site since I found out I was going to have my surgery. It helped me understand a lot of what I was going to be going through before I had my surgery. Thanks for all the pre op info.

On 8/11/2014 I had my 4 level anterior cervical fusion ACDF with Instrumentation, C3 through C7.Rather than harvesting bone from my hip, the DR used a PEEK Cage. with plated to straighten and strengthen my posture because I had a large curvature in my spine.

I am four weeks post op today and am doing pretty good I think. I had a one night stay in the hospital and was up and walking a little the first night. by the time I went home, I was walking by myself. Slowly of course, but I was doing it. After getting home, I have listened to my release orders by the book. After my third day home, I started feeling this horrible pain in my shoulders and arms like my arms were on fire and being pulled out of their sockets! The pain meds didn't touch it. I was taking muscle relaxers and pain meds on a routine, just to try and keep the pain from getting any worse. A call to my Dr. indicated it was nerve pain. Normal right after surgery. They prescribed a patch to help with the breakthrough pain and boy was is a life saver! Two weeks post op I was able to wean myself off so many pain meds, and am only taking them as needed now. I am still wearing the patch, but will be stopping it within the week.

I started out wearing my hard collar, only to realize, it was part of the reason I was having pain on my collar bone. Switched over to my soft collar while I was at home, and only wear the hard collar when I am riding in the car. Still not driving, but can ride. I wear my soft collar all day except when I am sleeping, or can lay my head back and rest. My DR. said I would be wearing it for two months, so I am doing what I am told. I had steri strips on my incision, and they came off about three weeks after surgery. I think they would have come off sooner if I had messed with them, but I didn't want to risk opening the incision. By the time it was coming off on its own, the incision was totally closed and was almost healed. Looked great

I am now 4 weeks post op, and in the last few days have started having the numbness return to my fingers on my right side. I am thinking this may be from all the repair they had to do while they were in there. I am hopeful that this will go away when I start Physical Therapy. I am starting to do a little more, but I can tell when I am pushing it too much. I am trying very hard to do what is best for my long term healing process. From what I understand, it is a long time. My first post op appointment isn't until Sept 30th, so I am anxious to see what my progress is. Thanks so much for reading my experience, and if anyone has any input they can give, I would love to hear from you. I do have one question.....is the numbness returning normal?

Happy Healing Everyone!!

• SLD1029SSLD1029 Posts: 10
    edited 09/08/2014 - 2:31 PM
    It sound like you are doing well. I too had ACDF (C4 and C5). I've had reoccurring symptoms off and on for the last 4 months. One of the symptoms is numbness. My doctor said it was normal to experience this. Recovery can be daunting, I pray that you have a full recovery.
  • Did you clear it with your surgeon before switching to the soft collar? You could pad the bottom of the collar to make it more comfortable, but it isn't a good idea to switch collars or do more than you are supposed to until you see the surgeon for your post op follow ups.
  • Sandi - When I was released, my Dr. told me he wanted me walking everyday, and wanted to me increase to the point I was doing a mile a day before my appointment. He also told me I could lift, but no more than a gallon of milk once I felt able to, and could do light things, VERY light things around the house. I am heading his warning about doing too much to fast. The numbness just returned, not sure why. But, he did tell me they had to do ALOT of nerve repair.So, I am sure it is going to take a long time for it to heal And as for the collar, when I called about the nerve pain in my arms, I confirmed the usage of the collars. I used the hard collar constantly until that day. And I have only been riding in the car a couple times a week because it is still so hard on me.

SLD1029 - So you are 4 months post op? or longer? how long after surgery did you start feeling the numbness? I could tell right after surgery that there was a definite change for the better in my symptoms, but the numbness returning has me concerned. I am hoping it goes away after time.

Have a Blessed Day!
  • Jonny ZeroJonny Zero Posts: 69
    edited 09/09/2014 - 10:36 AM
    I had a posterior instrumented fusion a bit further down from you (C5 - T2)..... It will be a bit of a roller coaster ride for you as the months progress (I'm 8 months post-op). Hang in there and deal with it moment to moment. I had numbness, burning and shooting/stabbing pain off and on for at least a couple of months... Follow Doctor's orders and try to keep focused. Again, there will be ups and downs along the way.... It does get better.

Welcome to the Forum!

4 Level (C5-T2) Posterior Instrumented Fusion w/ Decompression (Car Accident in January 2014)
    And I can't forget that I'm not ashamed, to be the person that I am today.