Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgeons recommend ADR L3/4 and Alif/Plif L4-S1

Hello, I am new to posting onto this forum, I have been reading alot of peoples posts on Lumbar Surgeries and learning all I can about each and the recoveries, Pro and Cons and what not.
I am 40, Male, and I have been on the patch to stop smoking, so far its working. I have DDD, and was in a motorcycle accident where I was rear ended and my back took the brunt of the blow bending a 1/4inch thick peice of steel of my back rest at 45 degrees. 2yrs later after multiple Epidural Steroid shots, Medrol Packs, PT, Discogram, 2 MRI's

I am in the military and retiring in December 1st 2014. The Most experience Neurosurgeon in the Navy on the west coast will be doing my surgery. He suggested ADR (Pro-Disc) at L3/4 and Alif/Plif from L4/5 to S-1. I went to three other civilian neurosurgeons and they said to have the same proceedure. Am I scared? Yes definitly, But with my quailty of life deminishing more and more by the pain. I have chosen to go ahead with the surgery. I will have my wife who works at home to take care of me while I am down.
My concerns are how long will it take for my body to heal itself, and how long will I be on narcotic pain meds? I am scared to get adicted to them. How long with it take for me to be back to where I can get out of bed in the morning and feel good and not just want to lay in bed on ice all day. Or to walk normal without a limp or shortend stride due to duel sciatica.
My Surgeon told me that for each level fused that is 10% of mobility lost. That would be losing 20% mobility and the ADR would preserve the motion and degereration of the above levels.

Currently I work about 12hrs a day when I don't have flare ups. The last one put me in the ER twice in one week and I missed work for 4 days. Most days I get home from work, about 2hrs later I lay on a ice pack for an hour, then jacuzzi for 30 mins, then icepack again before bedtime. My wife and I used to be active, Riding motorycles all day long, Playing horshoes almost daily (we built our own pit in the yard a few summers ago) and play pool at our house and the local pool league down the street. I feel that my quality of life must get better with this surgery. I am hopeful and trying to stay positive that the healing process will go smooth.
I am curently waiting a call from the surgeon to give me a surgery date. I have been calling each day and leaving a message with his office assistant. Any advice would be very appreciated.