Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

our pets

bigcat90bbigcat90 Posts: 1,012
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Matters of the Heart
Hi,shadow update,he has been in a lot of pain,i have been giving him pain pills,he has settle down now....

• hey big cat ime glad shadows feeling a wee bit better!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I am happy that he is feeling a little better.... :)
  • big hugs to shadow and you. hang in there together.
  • My prayers are with you and Shadow. Glad he's feeling a little better. Your love is the best medicine though!
  • It's always good news to hear when our furbabies are feeling better. :)
  • Glad to hear Shadow is out of pain. I know it's frustrating when our furry kids are in pain and we don't know what to do for them.
  • Cory,
    I will say some puppy prayers for shadow, malcolm knows how to pray too and I will have him talk to the puppy God to take care of shadow and take care of her pain. My heart goes out to you and her.
  • bigcat, I am so sorry to hear that Shadow is in pain. I have an African Grey that I rescued 7 years ago. Her leg was broken and the doc that operated on it botched the surgery. Anyway the leg is practically useless and she suffers a lot of pain with it. I love her like a child and it just kills me to see her suffer. The vet started her on Tramadol a few months ago and it seemed like it was going to be the miracle drug to end her pain. Now, just like everything else that we have tried it has stopped working. It just tares at my heart to see her suffer. I am sure that you must have told what is wrong with Shadow on the old SH but I am afraid that I missed that post.
    BTW- I was sacrilizedinsc on old SH.
  • Shadow has a tumor sitting in between his toes,i found out about it six months ago,the doctor only gave him six months too live,he is 14 years old.I didnt want surgury because they would of had to cut off his toes, and because of his age i did not opt for surgury...I adopted him when he was two years old...
  • I'm so glad for Shadow to have had such a wonderful life with a pet owner like you.

I am managing the daily pain that my 12 year old Chow has with Deramaxx. It's tough to feel so powerless to help him some days.

In the past few years I have had to say goodbye to our 13 year old Lab Sarah and our 16 year old Spitz Casey. It brought me some peace to know that they had lived in a "Dog Country Club" and that I did all I could to ease their pain and spend extra time babying them when they got old.

Please keep us updated on Shadow's progress. I know that in addition to me there are many other animal lovers on this site that would love to provide you support and comfort during this time.
  • I that Shadow is having a better day today and tell him that I am sorry for calling him a she :O , he is just the cuttest dog! You have given shadow lots of love and good years that is just so great! I hope that he lives much, much longer and prove the Vet's wrong.
  • Thnx for the kind words paininthe back,ewaight and millie...
  • You really should take comfort knowing that you provided such a good life for Shadow. My pets have always been like children to me and for a long time I swore that I would never have another because it has been like losing a child when they pass. Then came Lucy, my African Grey. normally they live about 65 years and I was in my 30s when I got her. But, with all of the meds that she is on it will shorten her life span considerably. Even with the meds she is often in a great deal of pain. It breaks my heart to see her suffer knowing that I can do little for her. But, I do know that I am providing a very good life for her and actually she is quite spoiled. Anyway, bigcat I will certainly keep you and Shadow in my prayers and please keep us posted. We will be here to understand and support you.
  • I hope your bird will start to feel better soon,thnxfor your kind words....
  • Shadow had a real bad night ,i called the vet ,i am waitng for them to call,he is bitting both front legs and his back end,i am going to ask for a better pain med,and to see if he need to be re evaulted to see how far the cancer has spread,he is resting now...
  • I just talked to the vet,i am goingto bring him to the vet in the morning,they are going do to an xray on him to see if the cancer has progressed,if it has, i will have to put him to sleep....
  • Bigcat,

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I know you are spending time with him right now. I will pray for a good diagnosis for him in the AM.
  • Thx, for you prayers ewaight...
  • Cory,
    It breaks my heart that your puppy was in so much pain last nigh.It is not easy to see our love ones suffer, I know. I will be praying for shadow and you. It is not easy to have to say goodbye to a beloved family member either, but sometimes we just need to let them go and know that we will see them some day in a place were there is no pain, or sorrow or sadness or sickness just happiness and bright sun shiny days every single day. Hugs,

• Thank you for your kind words millie.....
  • and I will say a prayer for you both tonight.---Mazy
  • that shadow is suffering so. I know that Lucy also plucks her feathers and chews at her leg when it is really painful. I know that it will be very hard for you in the morning because if I were in your shoes I would be a basket case. If it does not go well I know that it will be very hard for you to make the decision not to let him suffer anymore. I am actually crying for you and shadow. Please know that you both will be in my prayers and thoughts in the morning. I hope that maybe the vet can give him some stronger pain meds that will make him more comfortable and help you two to stay together a little longer. Maybe Tramadol will work for Shadow? I know that they give it to dogs because the stuff that Lucy is on is actually the dog Tramadol only diluted. Please post when you are able. Bless you both.
  • BigCat, oh my prayers are with you both. I can't even imagine how painful it must be for you to watch him suffer. He's you baby! 14 years, he's seen a lot I'm sure and just hearing how you talk about him, he adopted into the right home.

Good luck tomorrow at the vet. Pets are our kids too. I know I'd be lost without Simba and Sasha.

image Here's a virtual girlfriend for Shadow.
  • I got the PM from Millie today saying you can't log on right now. But I'm so sorry for what you are going to have to go through today.

Here is a special poem which I hope helps you to know where Shadow will be after today.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

• Hi Guys,
    Cory just e-mailed me to let me know that Shadow is at home resting comfortably he just had a slow heart rate but he still with us!!! Yeay!! He wanted to thank all of us for our prayers, good thoughts and loving messages. He has not been able to sign on into SH since last night so I have sent PM's to the MOD's to see if they can help! Just keep Shadow in your thoughts and prayers and I hope that our friend Cory can post here again soon!!

• Such great news! Millie - Thank you so much for keeping us in the loop.
  • Our prayers helped!!--Mazy
  • Glad to hear that you are both at home and doing well!!