Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Spine Fusion Physio.

motherhenmmotherhen Posts: 2
edited 09/09/2014 - 12:13 PM in Recovering from Surgery
This is my first Post. I am 14 weeks post L4/S1 Fusion . Up until week 10 I was extremely positive and making great progress. Then as suggested I went for Physio. As the PT thought I was doing SO well, I was given exercises on a Trampette, a Bosu, Each leg was put in a sling suspended from roof and swung back and forward. On top of that ,deep Massage on the wound , which was painfull but as you put your faith in Experts I was confident this was for the best.
But, after the second session , I found it uncomfortable to do my walks and unbearable to not only lay on my wound but sit back on a cushion. Do I stop exercise or battle on through , perhaps making it even worse ? That was two weeks ago and I am still in great discomfort especially with pain on the left side and buttock. Even bed is uncomfortable. I feel SO isolated with nobody to discuss my concerns. will it all settle down again ?
I decided to Post this in the hope of getting advise , suggestions and reassurance .
Thank you.

• Welcome to Spine Health. I would suggest that you talk to the therapist and let them know that the pain has increased and not yet settled down. While PT may hurt some, it is not supposed to cause you ongoing pain.
    I would also suggest that you contact your surgeon's office to arrange for an xray to ensure that placement is all okay.
  • Heya,

I started my pt at 6 weeks post op and struggled at first but I had a check up scheduled for 2 weeks after to make sure everything was well. I would advice you give a call to whoever is your contact post surgery and have a chat about your concerns.

Pelvic fixation 2009, L5/S1 fusion 2014
  • Thank you both for your replies and advise. I will contact Hospital with my concerns.
    Can't turn the clock back but wish I hadn't gone near PT . Fingers crossed for no permanent damage .
    Will post again .
  • I had spine fusion surgery L2-L5 in March 2014 so it's been 6 months. I had no pain following surgery but the first 6 weeks was very difficult as I had to use a walker at first and couldn't stand up for more than a few minutes at a time. Also, I wore a brace for 14 weeks which wasn't that bad. I used the walker only when out of the house and could walk around indoors just fine. Totally, Got rid of it after 4 wks or so. Went to PT for 4 weeks (aimed specifically for spines) and was told I was good to go home and do exercises at home. I can walk as far as I want, stand as long as I want with no pain. Before surgery, I had excruciating pain down right leg and standing and walking was almost unbearable. I tried steroid injections, chiropractor, PT to no avail. I had an amazing spine surgeon (known worldwide). Dr. says it takes 1 yr. or more to get back to normal so it is a long slow process. I am an 80 yr. old woman, 5'2" with no other health problems so I consider myself very lucky as I am doing just great I think 6 months post op. I agree with others to make sure you have an excellent surgeon and post op care. Good luck to you.