Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Slipped Disc, Hyperlordosis confusion! (and uninterested doctors)

Hi All,

I think it is best to start from the beginning!

I am a 19 year old competitive who recently sustained a back injury.
Trained all year and the day after Henley due to a poor performance I decided to go for a run, half way down my usual route I had a searing burning intolerable pain down my left leg into my glute and had to hobble home.

I assumed i had pulled something due to overtraining and limped about for 2 weeks opting for a stationary spin bike at the gym.
When i finally returned home from uni I went to the doctor, around 3 weeks post injury, who diagnosed me with a disc bulge and sent me to physio, i did the physio religiously, it is four months down the line now and the painhas decreased however I still feel that I am dragging my left leg and both of my legs are terrifyingly weak which i find very upsetting and quite scary. Often during the painful period the pain would change sides, affecting either or both glutes.

On my first visit to the doctor I passed all the the test for a disc bulge i have never had problems raising my leg past ninety degrees, have no loss of sensation on the skin etc etc but I assumed this was to do with my ballet background.

During the past four months I have mistrusted the physio and panicked on several occasions, heading back to the doctor, the 3rd doctor i saw said that he did not believe it was a disc bulge. I went back to the physio and she says the disc has settled down and in fact my hyperlordosis is causing inflammation and sciatica, but I do not understand how this could cause weakness in the legs. I have not been given a scan as the doctors do not believe I need one. My parents think I am imagining it. I am not only terrified that I will never row again, which is my life, but that i will never feel like a 19 year old again, i have to be careful when i go out to clubs with friends, do not want to go back to uni like this. Now concerned I have depression, I just want to feel my age again. have any other young athletic people had this problem?