Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do you pass the time?

Hi all,

I'm new here but I've been browsing for a few weeks.

I've been suffering from neck and shoulder pain for the last year. I am a 24 y.o male, and I used to exercise 3x a week until I lifted weights with bad technique over my head. I woke up with a frozen neck, and have received treatments from physiotherapists and chiropractors. I finally had an MRI scan last month which found a slipped disc in my neck, but my pain has spread to my legs and I get tingling sensations randomly which make me feel very weak. I am about to undergo a second MRI of my whole back to try and understand the pain in the legs. My legs are just tender and sore all the time.

I am struggling with the time off from work. I am lying in bed all day, with the occasional walk outside or around the house. It has been a month of this, and I am starting to feel like my home is a prison. I can't concentrate on TV or films. I pass the time on social media, playing card games, or listening to music. I just don't know how to spend the time. My concentration is so poor.

What have you all done in similar situations?

• Well whenever I have a difficult moment in my life which forces me to stay indoors and cope with myself I read books or play computer games, especially those which require some thinking like strategy or rpg. Why? Because I find rpg games like books which you can be part of and make a meaning. If you allow yourself to get sucked in the world created then you "forget" about your problems temporary living the life of someone else. It's not a save all prescription but it's something that helps me so I thought I'd share :)
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars."
    Khalil Gibran

• William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 2,402
    edited 09/13/2014 - 11:56 AM
    I listen to music and write
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Usually when batteling a flare, I put my kindle inches away, put on the headphones. I am able to get lost in the show (right now doctor who). Otherwise I like suduko and pet rescue saga. I think destraction is the name of the game.

Good luck
  • LeeLeeMccDeeLLeeLeeMccDee Boston MAPosts: 101
    At the beginning I started a journal and wrote about my level of pain, how I got from there to here. I would even write down what I ate, what I was wearing, who I talked to and about what, etc. Once I started writing I would start writing about all sorts of different areas of my life. Now when I look back at my journal, I can't believe some of the things I wrote. How down I was...why me..yada yada. Just a thought. As a matter of fact I think I'll start writing in it again. Thanks for bringing up this subject!!
  • As I know I'm now considered unlikely to return to work soon I got a puppy. Yes, it is really hard some days, but he's learning quickly that I need to spend a lot of time resting and he lies and sleeps right next to me, or not far away (in a cooler area) when it's hot. He also makes sure I get out as he's definitely not a house dog! Before that, I could read a book every day or two, listen to music, use relaxation tracks. I even taught myself crochet from a book, because I could do that lying down!

Is there anything that has fascinated you, something you'd like to know more about? The internet has also provided me with great distractions, and if I can't remember anything the next day it doesn't matter - I get to read it again!
  • I nap a lot due to the medication and do light housework, watch TV, and go to the pool on good days. I live in nNevadawhere its 90 degrees and sunny most days which helps my mood tremendously. Im afraid to drive while on these meds and my back hurts too much to do anything else. I feel lazy but have to listen to my body. ,
  • I do jigsaw puzzle that help distract me from my pain.
    L5-S1 Emergency PLIF Revision May 26th 2015
    L5-S1 PLIF May 22nd 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Feb 27th 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Oct 30th 2014.