Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feeling the Fatigue....

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Fibromyalgia
I wanted to start a thread about the fatigue that we have to deal with while living with fibro and the little tips and tricks that you have come up with to help battle it.... :)

• I do not remember where you put it, but you put a web site on Fibro., that you felt was a good source of info on it. Do you still have the web site that you spoke of? If so, please post it here so that I can check it out.
    Thanks, nana2007
  • Not much that I do. Trying to figure this out myself.
    Someone told me pilates helps. Vit D is a huge one.
    Most of us are deficent and don't even know it. 5-htp is also another good one.
    As I start trying new things I will post them.
    Im starting on a new regiman of vitamns etc to see if we can get a jump start on things!!!
    A full nights sleep as we all know.. Which thankfully I have not been waking up at all!!!
    Hugs to all
    Terri :) :) :) :) :)
  • Well, I've only been officially diagnosed for a few weeks, but I just try and make sure I get plenty of rest every day. If that means a nap, then I take a nap. If that means going to bed early, I do that. At work, I have decided I am not going to run/walk fast anymore. I discovered that's why my calf was KILLING me every day after work, not to mention muscle spasms there, and I can feel some synovial fluid leaking down there too! I also discovered that when I don't work fast, I have more energy left and it doesn't seem like I'll never make it through the day. I say I've only been diagnosed in the last few weeks, but I've noticed symptoms of fibro in the last 7-8 months and have been very tired most days coming home from work, but even more so on Wed, and Thurs. (which are delivery days!)
  • hey y'all, i was just wondering how/ what you did to find out you had fibro? being with medica i really don't others to think that i am faking, lying, ect. with this body of mine who knows. i just would like to to confirm or not. thanks
    soft hugs
  • I was just reading these symptoms and figured I'd add them on here. Wow, sounds like me to the dotting of the i's and crossing of the t's. Guess that I need to talk to my family doc about this. I have questioned it for a long time, but never got serious about it until recently and now I see that I have just reason for checking into it. I can't even say which on the list below that doesn't apply to me. Kind of creepy reading all of them.

Signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia can vary, depending on the weather, stress, physical activity or even the time of day. Common signs and symptoms include:

* Widespread pain. Fibromyalgia is characterized by pain in specific areas of your body when pressure is applied, including the back of your head, upper back and neck, upper chest, elbows, hips and knees. The pain generally persists for months at a time and is often accompanied by stiffness.
    * Fatigue and sleep disturbances. People with fibromyalgia often wake up tired and unrefreshed even though they seem to get plenty of sleep. Some studies suggest that this sleep problem is the result of a sleep disorder called alpha wave interrupted sleep pattern, a condition in which deep sleep is frequently interrupted by bursts of brain activity similar to wakefulness. So people with fibromyalgia miss the deep restorative stage of sleep. Nighttime muscle spasms in your legs and restless legs syndrome also may be associated with fibromyalgia.
    * Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). The constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain and bloating associated with IBS are common in people with fibromyalgia.
    * Headaches and facial pain. Many people who have fibromyalgia also have headaches and facial pain that may be related to tenderness or stiffness in their neck and shoulders. Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction, which affects the jaw joints and surrounding muscles, also is common in people with fibromyalgia.
    * Heightened sensitivity. It's common for people with fibromyalgia to report being sensitive to odors, noises, bright lights and touch.

Other common signs and symptoms include:

* Depression
    * Numbness or tingling sensations in the hands and feet (paresthesia)
    * Difficulty concentrating
    * Mood changes
    * Chest pain
    * Dry eyes, skin and mouth
    * Painful menstrual periods
    * Dizziness
    * Anxiety
  • I have tried the 5-HTP , it didn't do anything for me at all and I take Vitamin D if I remember :D Let me know how you end doing on your new regimen....I hope it does great for you sweetie... ;)
  • are wonderful , on the days when I am run down I try to take a little nap....it doesn't have to be a long one either but just enough so that when I wake I feel a little more refreshed than before... :)
  • sweetie if you think that you may have fibro then I would suggest that you go see your family doctor , go over what symptoms you have and if the doc can then let him\her check for the tender points. Your doc should know what to do from there. This is how I got diagnosed. You will have to do blood work and stuff like that but nothing too bad....each doc is different as to what they have you do. Sweetie , I hope and pray that you do not have it but if you do then make sure that you keep coming back here for help and support. The fibro section over at the old SH was full of great stuff...in fact I do believe that I am going to copy and paste some of it over here so that everyone has access to it.Good luck to you hon and let us know what you find out....Miki
  • Well, i had an injury to my knee (tore the cartilage in the lateral area) and have been having excruciating pain there ever since. THen i ended up with herniated disks with radiculopathy and had Epi shots. I had seen one Rheumatologist after i mentioned to my family dr. that i think something is wrong with me because I seem to have a lot of infections, tired, in pain all the time, etc. He agreed with me and sent me there. She didn't find anything, but at the time (only a few months ago, I did not have any major tender points, but looking back, I had the tender point in my left knee...which had been hurting really bad for some time. The first MRI I had states that I had arthritis, and my new knee doc said I had no signs of arthritis. BUt that rheumy said I did (she agreed with the MRI report I Guess!) I had shown her where it hurt constantly and I guess I was describing the pain wrong.

Anyway, I had seen my pm dr. for a follow up and possible RSD. He mentioned that I had myofacial pain but didn't really explain it to me. He gave me pills that I refused to take b/c I knew they didn't work...I had one and had a reaction to them. So, I spoke with my spine dr. and said I refused to leave the office without him hearing what I was experiencing. So he said, yeah, it sounds like you have fibro. So he referred me to another Rheumy and 3 weeks ago I saw him. He did the tender point exam, and examined me/asked questions and then said I was right and so was the dr.

Looking back now, I think I was developing very early signs about 2-3 years ago. I had hip pain in the tender point area then. But in the last year, it started in my left knee, to my right, on my back, then my hips, then my neck and then to my shoulders. Somewhere in there I had costochondritis too!

Sorry for the long winded response. Just rambly b/c I am getting tired! lol
  • fuzzy, something that I found worked well for the (very intense) calf spasms that were a part of my life very frequently a few years ago was high doses of calcium/magnesium and magnesium/malic acid. The malic acid makes quite a difference, and it does take a couple of weeks, at least, to kick in. LOTS of water, too.

As for the exhaustion, when I was still working, I would come home from lunch at noon and sleep most of my lunch hour, then have a nap again after work. I've learned that if I'm really tired, my body HAS to rest, or things just spiral out of control again.

A nice nighttime routine is to spend an hour or so of quiet time before bed, listening to relaxation music (I have a Zen CD that is awesome - one of those $9.00 ones from WalMart) and doing nothing or just reading. It seems to be easier to "settle in" for the night if you're not full of bad thoughts from the late night news, etc. I had about 15 years of not sleeping (I would say I averaged maybe one night of sleep a week), but my sleep patterns have been awesome for the past year or two, with a few exceptions.

Looking forward to sharing some new info on the new site.

• I don't know if this is a post for this forum. that is what i'm trying to do. I am wondering if anyone has tried Valcyte for their fatigue? Also had blood tests to see if you have herpes virus 6. It has been shown to be in most people with chronic fatigue.
  • you posted just fine in here sweetie. I have never heard of Valcyte before , how is this med used? Thank you for posting....Miki
  • A good med for extreme fatigue is called provigal, maybe that might be a help.
  • I've read here that a someone has muscle spasms in the calves. I've had chronic charlie horses for years. I also happen to have a potassioum defiency so I assumed that was the cause. So, my question is, are charlie horses a sympton of fibro? I need all of the information that I can get!