Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery? No surgery? C5/6 herniated disc due to car wreck

I had a car wreck 1 year ago Sept 11,2013. (Not my fault a young girl ran a stop sign while on her phone) Pain in left shoulder, feels like knife in my left shoulder blade. Numbness comes and goes. Take muscle relaxer at night. Tried the facet shots they worked for a short time. Surgeon now say I need to make up my mind if I want to live like this or have surgery. I'm 47 years old pretty active, I have two grandsons and I would love to get back to normal. I am seeking advice- I'm afraid I'll have the surgery and still have pain later down the road. Recovery times? And details of anyone's experience will be appreciated.

• Hi Melissa.

Have you already gotten a second and/or third opinion? I had a numb hand and, when all was said and done, had seen an orthopedist and two neurosurgeons. All three were (without talking to each other or seeing each other's notes) in total agreement.

That made the decision for me very easy, and I'm glad I did. But mine was a very clear case. Yours may not be, but that's what you'll need to find out.

Definitely see what another doc or two have to say.

• The type of surgery plays a huge part in how long and extensive the recovery is. What kind of surgery did the surgeon recommend? We always encourage members to consult with at least two surgeons, when surgery is recommended. It helps you to feel confident in what your chosen surgeon is recommending, as well as helps you to see if there are other options that your doctor may not have recommended. If there are discrepancies in the recommendations, it is wise to ask why? What does the second or third surgeon recommend and why is that an option?
  • Thanks for your response. I am in the process of seeking a second opinion. The neurosurgeon I am currently seeing has just left it up to me- he always says-it's up to you to decide how much pain you are in and to decide if you feel you are ready for surgery. However, I feel my pain is escalating. I tried to do something as little as squeeze a detergent bottle and my whole arm went numb for the whole day. I just have heard as many negative comments about surgery as I have heard positive. As to what type of surgery- it was disk fusion