Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is going on Im feeling burning all over my body and numbness

iamjmeiiamjme Posts: 9
edited 09/09/2014 - 7:29 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
This is really scaring me. I have dealt with a neck injury that radiates in my shoulder arms, intense pain everyday all day for 14 years.
All of a sudden 3 months ago my calf went numb, it feels like there is a freezing agent on it. I went to shave my legs and I cannot feel the razor going across, it has not gone away.
Now all of a sudden I have a strange sunburn prickling feeling all over my arms neck face, legs howevver it is definatly not a sunbrurn (.it is all over places that do not see the sun and have not even been in the sun).
I went to put on my heating pad that wraps around neck/shoulders and I cannot feel the heat, it is just an uncomfortabe prickling feeling, this is what most of my body feels like for the past 3 days. I also tried to have my daily hot bath, the heat does not feel the same I can barely feel it and feels uncomfortable.

I am scared it is not going to go away as the numbness on my calfs has not and seems to be permanent. I don't know what is going on I am afraid to find out but would appreciate some insight if anyone knows? thanks
advertisement

Comments

• diagnosis did you receive when you injured your neck? Have you had any injections, PT or surgery?

Fourteen years is a long time to live with an injury. :(

4 level ACDF, C3-C7 with iliac bone crest graft with hardware on August 22nd.
  • They diagnosed me with whiplash but it never went away. It seems no one will help me and I am told to live with it, I am so frustrated.

Both my arms and hands have been completely asleep for 2 weeks now. I have always had pins and needles but now they are completely asleep:( Its so uncomfortable and annoying anyone know what is going on will this go away? I just shake my arms all day trying to get it to go away it wont go away no matter what.
  • I am so scared I am going paralyzed I cannot feel my arms anymore. I have 2 year old to take care of I don't know what to do I am in so much pain, no one will help me its terrible.
  • and you are experiencing new numbness and tingling, etc, you need to consult your doctor for evaluation. We can not diagnose nor suggest what might be wrong.
    Make an appointment with a board certified spine surgeon for a consult.

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/chronic-pain/chronic-pain-treatment-step-step
  • Suggest you get an mri of the neck. be sure whatever you do, to request a copy of your medical file when finished. you will see your dr's opinion that he hasn't shared with you. it can be very revealing. with compression, the cord can develop a cyst, and permenant damage. so please get images and opinions. a program of mild stretching, and non compression exercise can help. swimming, inversion ... keep fluid transfer ongoing in the spinal structures to maintain nutrition there.advil can reduce inflammation in the canal.
    reduce friction activity where you are out of control. (driving> etc. good luck.
  • brichbbrich Posts: 1
    edited 01/14/2015 - 1:41 PM
    I'm having the same problem. Numbness started in the thighs and legs then moved into my arms and face. Weakness in the legs and my pelvis aches really bad. I've had an autoamune disorder before and I think my body isn't obsorbing vitamin B12 like it should. It's called Pernicious anemia. It's a very scary feeling. I also have had MRI I do have Degenerative Disc Disease and a bulging disc but back DR thinks it's vitamin B12 causing the pain and numbness not the disease or disc. It can do permanent damage if not caught and taken care of.
  • shortfuse5691sshortfuse5691 Posts: 407
    edited 01/14/2015 - 2:32 PM
    Sandi is right please see a doctor ASAP, all we can do is give you support or share our experiences with you. What was right for us maybe incorrect for you. What kind of injury did you have 14 years ago? Was there a mri's done? I had a accident in my 20's in a car was treated and released with your typical conservative treatments then things improve and then ten years later I developed symptoms for no physical reason. More conservative treatments until things improved then more flair ups until I begged for X-rays and mri's. Then I finally got surgically treated . You must be persistent with your doctor and tell them what you want or need. Only you know how you feel. I've fired a few doctors because they didn't hear me. If I didnt I wouldn't be here today.

For 2 years I was dealing with chronic back pain. I Did everything my doctor said. I took anti inflammatories 800mg x3 every day. I swam I walked I soaked in my hot tub. I was at the end of my rope. I had epidural injections 6 times. I asked for a mri every time when I went to my PCP. Well he sent me to a orthopedic doctor for the shots, I asked him if he would order the mri' and he did. The mri's showed a massive cystic kidney almost 4 times bigger then a normal kidney. It was invading my liver, gallbladder, pancreas, and touching my lumbar nerves. I had to see a urologist and without hesitation it had to be removed. It was so big my incision was from under my left breast across down all the way to my appendix. I had over 50 staples. Well my back doesn't hurt anymore!! Listen to your body and make your doctor listen to you !!!
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,939
    Feeling of sunburn in winter or not having been in sun could be neurapathy, specifically small fiber neurapathy, may want to check with neurologist. Feeling sunburnt in winter is actually the title of several online write ups about small fiber neurapathy. I developed after neck injury, to quote doctor, its excuisitely painful lol. EMG will not show small fiber nerve damage.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Thanks everyone, I thought this site notified via email for new comments so I missed responses. I had an MRI done 6 years ago that came back normal.

I don't know how it is possible MRI came back normal when I feel like this? I could not sit still for the MRI though because of my excruciating arm pain so I wonder if that is why? Or perhaps they over looked something? Does this happen?

I finally found a doctor that is sending me to get CT scans but refuses to order another MRI even though it has been over 5 years since last. As well I have been assaulted to neck about 50 times since then (ex abuser used to hurt my neck knowing my injury) Its way worse.

Will CT scan show anything? Thanks for all the helpful comments I appreciate all the insight into things I can look into and giving me motivation to not give up.
  • Saw new doctor today I told her my concerns about CT scan and radiation so she is sending me for MRIs again
advertisement