Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spiney book club

bigcat90bbigcat90 Posts: 1,012
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Water Cooler
A member asked me to import this thread to the new site....

• I am not sure this is the right forum, but mods if it in not please feel free to move.

I love to read as I am sure many other's do. So I thought maybe start a thread where
    we can share and pass along a good book.

I just finished Eric Clapton's Autobiography, and he is not a very good writer, howver I found if you read it
    backwards it was more enjoyable.

• just finished the Stephanie Plum #'s books by Janet Evanovich. I can't wait for the next installment. I laughed all the way through every novel. I read a lot also. Next one may be The Black Swan.

• I'm reading "Eat, Pray, Love" right now; it was given to me by a friend's daughter for Christmas. It's written by a woman who went through a midlife crisis of sorts and ends up going to Italy (to eat, I assume), India (to Pray) and Indonesia (to love??)....I think!!

Anyways, I quite like her way of writing; she has a dry sense of humour, so now and then something really catches you.

I also have the new John Grisham book sitting on the sidelines waiting to be read...but I can't remember the title!

I've read a couple of Greg Iles books lately; he's murder/mystery kind of writer, and I don't mind what I've seen so far.

• Tracy,
    The author has been on Oprah twice, and seems to have quite the following.
    I would really recommed , The Other Bolye Girl, author: Philippa Gregory. I could not put that one down. I am know reading the next one in that series. She writes wonderfully. Angie (ernurse) also loves her.

I am glad to see someone post again on this topic as so many of us have alot of down time, and reading allows us to go somewhere else, where we can get away from our own painful lives.
    Thanks for posting and I hope others will follow.
  • I just saw that there is an unauthorized bio coming out of Tom Cruise by the guy who did Princess Diana's bio. Tom's reps are all in a tizzy about it becuz it talks negatively about Scientology and talks about his marriage with Nicole Kidman(who I think is one of the most beautiful women in the world.)

Yeah, I'm a tabloid junkie and have followed the Tom Cruise business that's out there! I don't think he's cute but I'm very interested in why Nicole left and how controlling he really is with Katie.

Book supposed to be out this month sometime
  • they are not releasing the book Angie in Enland, something to do with it is alot easier to sue. Cannot stand him,like him when he was younger, but it would be interesting to hear abot Niclole and Katie. He's like a robot.
  • Ooooh, I loved Janet Evonovich and the series. After my discectomy when I was laying flat on my back in the living room with my legs propped on the coffee table I read the #13 one in a day and a half and it was like, oh hurry up and write the next one. They are a fun read. I just read this silly book and finished last night "The Debutante' Divorcee" by Janet Sykes Plum. I also like James Patterson Women's Murder Club series. They have made a t.v. show based loosely and I say very loosely on those books, not nearly as good as the books. I buy a new book every time I go to the thrift store, usually one or two a week. I would be happy to send them on to anyone who wants to read them. That would be kind of a fun thing, or not Just a thought.
  • Amber & others who are Stephanie Plum fans. Janet Evanovich's #14 will be out on June 17th. Have you read the short stories "Between the Number's books based on Stephanie Plum? Just as good as her novels. A new one was released last week titled "Plum Lucky". As I finish these books I mail them to my sister who is disabled & can't afford to buy books. It's a great idea to share as even mailing them is cheaper than sending her cash to buy them.

• Can Any Of You Tabolid Peps Tell Me How Did Tom Cruise Ever Get Friendly With David Beckham? Thats One Friendship I Just Cant Get To Grips With. Not To Sure What To Make Of This Victoria Thing It Seems As If She Is Getting A Lot Of Publicity But Why???

• TracyLynne wrote:
    I also have the new John Grisham book sitting on the sidelines waiting to be read...but I can't remember the title!

I've read every John Grisham book ever!! He used to be my favorite. The movies all sucked though.

My 3 latest favorites:
    1. The Cry for Myth (Rollo May)(NOTE: I think you may need to be a little neurotic to enjoy this)

2. The Noonday Demon (Andrew Solomon) Morbid and disturbing at times, but he is such a beautiful writer that I think you will absolutely fall in love with him. If I recall, this was up for a Pulitzer Prize a few years back.

3. The Evolutionary Emergence of Language. LOL (I'm the only person that would read this for fun, I know).

• I started reading For One More Day by Mitch Albom... He was the guy that wrote Tuesdays With Morrie, which i have heard is very good also. I am really enjoying this book and it is a very quick read.

• Great thread!!!
    I'm a reader. Mostly romance novels and spiritural stuff. I'm a die hard fan of Danielle Steel, Nicholas Sparks, and James Patterson. I always impatiently waiting for their next release. Currently, I have several books going on a more spiritual side of things; "Golf and the Spirit", by M. Scott Peck (who also pinned "The Road Less Traveled") and "The Purpose Driven Life", byRick Warren. My church put out a Discipleship Journnal the 1st of the year and I'm doing that reading, it's a bible reading plan, so everyday I'm reading from several different areas of the Bible, they say reading the Bible this way will give one a better grasp on the unity of the Scriptures. I do fine it more interesting.

• paula mac hugh wrote:
    such a handsome man (in his day) destroyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's for sure....

So, are you all comfortable (body-wise) when you read? I'm having a heck of a time right now, and am considering going to books on CD! I'm having some thoracic and shoulder issues along with all the other stuff, so I find laying down difficult because I have to prop up by elbows and have a pillow on my chest to support the book. Sitting isn't quite as bad, but it's really annoying to have to try and figure out a good position for reading, for Pete's sake!!

Now that I've finished ranting, I, too, LOVE Nicholas Sparks and Mitch Albom.

• noticed when I was needing to use heavier pain meds I couldn't concertrate to read. I'd start and 15 mintues later I'd be reading the same paragraph. Also, for a long time after the cerival surgery I had to hold the book up eye levek and make sure I didn't bend the neck down toward my lap. I'd get tried of holding the book up and wouldn't be able to read for very long periods.
    Since they powered on the stim it's all so much more like it use to be, as far as, being able to read for hours on end. Now I'm playing catch-up.

Last edited by vic51p55 (2008-01-24 19:44:58)
  • i love reading James Patterson and Jonathan Kellerman. my library has patterson's new book(double cross) on reserve for me, i hope that other person is done with it soon. both of these guys write about homicide - sometimes very greusome. i like playing detective and trying to figure out whodunit.

• Just got done with "Haunted" by Chuck Palahnick. Its great if you like the dark and twisted and sometime udderly rancid. But I guess its pertty much on par with the rest of his work!
  • Anyone else into Laurel K. Hamilton??? I love the vampire series and her fairie series.

• Just finished the latest in the Stephanie Plum series...PLUM LUCKY. If you're a fan it's just as funny as all her others. I'm also ready other books by Janet Evanovich Someone else mentioned Nicholas Sparks. Yes, he writes beautifully. Also Mauve Binchy

• I've read some of Mauve Binchy. another writer I've really enjoyed is Dorothea Benton Frank like Nicholas Sparks most all her books are sit in the Carolina's.
  • just got done reading "The Templar Legacy" by Steve Berry...excellent book. However my true passion is reading all of the works by Anne Rice....The Vampire Chronicles and The Mayfair Witches are all excellent....so much so that I have read them all twice and some of them even 3 or 4 times. This is an excellent thread and Janet , it is fine where it sits....no need to for it to be moved. You picked the perfect forum. Take care everyone and I look forward to seeing what all everyone is reading.....Miki
  • used to love reading I would read one book after the other, so am now getting back into it since I have so much free time on my hands. I have 3 books here waiting! You ladies really have me curious at this author Stephanie Plum! From my understand from your posts, she writes novels, and series thereof, which are light in context?

Tracy I'm having problems lying down just to watch TV, I've got pillows, throws, heating pad everywhere around me, I'm surprised anyone can find me on the couch!! I would as well love to hear any of your "comfort" positions! Going to the library today now to see if there's any Stephanie Plum, (very small library in our very small town! Any suggestions on what to read first??

• vic51p55...Thank you for suggesting Dorothea Benton Frank's books. I didn't know where to start so I closed my eyes & took one off the shelf. It is "Pawleys Island" I'm only starting the 4th chapter & I love the character development.

I just finished tow other books of Janet Evanovich..."Metro Girl" & "Motor Mouth". they were OK Not as good as the Stephanie Plum series.

Thanks again. Jan
  • Hi Jan just now reading Motor Mouth and I got a couple of others from a book store, (can't remember the names off hand, lol) Also have a bunch requested from the library starting off with One for the Money I think it's called, plus others!!

Thanks for the tip on Janet Evanovich!

Take care
  • That's great Jan, I was like that when I started reading her. After the first one I tried to read the rest of them in the order she wrote them. You'll find some of the same characters show up in later writings. I thought that part kind of neat. Sometimes just as extras but you'll get so you kind of start wondering who and when someone might pop up.
    I think I'll check out this Stephanie Plum, I think I might like her writing. Thanks Tango Jan for the info.

• have my favorite characters from the Evanovich books- the obvious ones of hotties Ranger and Joe Morelli. But one of my very favorites is Grandma Mazur, she is hilarious!! Anyone else agree?
  • Amber...Grandma Mazur is a riot. Have you read the latest book "Plum Lucky"? It's a Between the Numbers book. It came out in January. I think it's one of the funniest especially if you like grandma. I'm ditto about the Hottie Ranger.

vic51p55...The Stephanie Plum books have the same cast of characters in & out also. Please suggest which order I should read A Frank's books either here or in a PM. Thanks.
  • The Christmas Pearl, November 2007
    The Land of Mango Sunsets, April 2007
    Full of Grace, May 2006
    Pawley's Island, May 2005
    Shem Creek, August 2004
    Isle of Palms, June 2004
    Plantation, March 2004
    Sullivan's Island, January 2004

Jan, Start with Sullivan's Island if possible. Then work your way up to the most recent one. I truly think you'll be glad you did.
    I haven't read the last three, but I plan to.
  • Wow,
    I did not go back to check on this thread and I am so happy it is being posted on.
    Anyone ever read Tara Road--- I hated the character of Danny and the girlfriend , good book

Al time favorite, by Pat Conroy, BeachMusic, you wil laugh out loud, I cried lke a baby, he is a beatiful writter.
    keep em coming.
  • i like to read not only books but magazines. sometimes i can't remember(from meds) what i read an hour ago so magazines work well. i am subscribed to Vanity Fair(great political stuff), More(inspritation for an older woman)and Lucky(just to have fun with clothes). i love Departures as well.(expensive but my neighbor gives it to me). it gets a topic and covers it from a to z. Rolling Stone is really great for politics and of course music! anyone else into magazines? you can get really good prices on the net! blessings,Jenny
  • If you ladies get tired of those romance novels and all that and want something slippery to read. I just finished, for like the 3rd time. Yes the meds...

Competition Car Aerodynamics (a practical handbook)
    with CFD simulation software
    Simon McBeath

I really need to find some lighter reading...

When you turn your car on. Does it return the favor?