Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ultram to Nucenta (NOT Indian love potion)

64pvolvo1800664pvolvo1800 Posts: 250
edited 09/10/2014 - 4:41 AM in Pain Medications
So I have been on Percocet 7.5/325 x 4/day, Baclofen 10mg x 3/day, and Ultram 100mg x 3/day, along with Effexor and Remeron for a while. A week ago Dr dropped the Ultram off and replaced with Nu 100mgER twice a day and kept Baclofen adn Percocet the same for now.
I am in incredible nerve burning pain as well as shooting pain and aches in my legs (ALIFL5/S1)(and C3456 RFA recently to address the decay above and below my ACDF C567 ten years ago).
Anyone had relief from the Nu ER and at what mg? Dr said it could be a couple weeks for the transition to stabilze and then on the 10/1 visit we will move it up to 150x2/day.

I dont want to take more percocet or stronger even, because it just isnt working that well and I am a recovering addict and it's extremely depressing and dangerous for me to be on narcotics at all anyway.

Any experience strength and hope is greatly appreciated.

• before you start seeing consistant benefit to the medication. It may be sooner, but I believe that it takes a little longer to reach a steady blood plasma level, and with the anti depressant qualities of the medication, it takes a bit longer than other extended release medications.
    If the nerve pain is significant, and it is from what you posted, adding a different neuropathic medication might be your best option to control that pain.
  • i was on nucynta er 150mg, also gabapentin, and celebrex, i feel it was a life saver for me. but my pain management doctor has taken me off, as he will not be prescribing opiates anymore, at least that is what he told me. he also said just go get surgery, but for me, with the meds and doing my stretches, and drinking plenty of water i was 95% better. i will be taking my last pill tomorrow, i had to taper down, for now i am still on gabapentin, i had 4 refills still, but he also prescribed them, but i am doing well so far, i will see in a week or two, or day or two how i feel. i only started at 50mg , then went to 100 then 150, i hope they make you feel much better, like i did. good luck
  • My pharmacists (one pharmacy only for me) tell me they only have a couple people on it at all and they are on 150x2/day.
    I am beyond ready for relief and today it has been seven days since I started. The Ultram must have been working much better than I thought because I'm in agony still. By 4pm when I leave he office I'm ready to cry.

I also had a previous dr bail out on insurance and opiates, period. I had to go find another one and he is the one swapping me over to Nucynta. Ill keep you posted.
  • I was on Nucynta a couple of years ago. I got the feeling it was some rare, weird med because no--one, even my GP had heard of it! I found a big chain pharmacy that carried it. When I asked that pharmacist she said that many pain patients are prescribed it & it's very successful! I got the impression it's popular with only some docs. Is it a pretty new med?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Natalie GoodingNNatalie Gooding Posts: 3
    edited 09/12/2014 - 10:59 AM
    I've had alot of issues with my lower back thru the yrs and take pain meds oxy, opana, soma. Also take ibuprofen alot. I recently had an extremely painful surgery and it seem like no matter what they gave me- we could not get on top of the pain, matter of fact it seem like they kept giving me and it wasn't doing EDITED for me. that's when it officially hit me that since I take pain meds(high doses) regularly-it doesn't leave much room to up the anty. It was a grim reality for me. Not too familiar with ultram-but dr's generaly start low on dosages and increase if needed. So most likely need to increase dose. U take motrin in addition? Sometimes that helps alit bc its anti inflammatory so takes any swelling down.

Post edited by Sandi- the use of foul, obscene or vulgar language is NOT permitted on Spine Health.

• when I got this medication I had no clue what it was- never heard of it until I found out it's actually Dilata. did anyone else know that Dilata comes in pill form as well? even then I associated with having had it a couple times in the ER for excessive pain. Works well, unfortunately they were trying to combat my pain in the hospital from my hysterectomy with what I was already taking at home for my back. Not a good experience! Couldn't get on top of the pain, it was a nightmare!
  • you are welcome 64pvolvo, give it some time, it did wonders for me, i have actually been feeling all my achy normal body pains after a long day at work, i do warehouse work, and am almost 44, but feeling a bit older, the past few weeks. i am going to wait it out and see how it goes, if i am ok then so be it, if not i will try to find a new pain management doctor. i go to see my regular doctor on Monday for a physical, and think i will see if he will prescribe me the gabapentin, i already know he does not like to prescribe pain meds.
  • Dilaudid is not the same as Opana. I think you have the medications confused a bit.
    Dilaudid is usually given in the hospital after surgery and is sometimes used orally post op after discharge, and occassionally used for patients in pain management, when other medications don't work well.