Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

chronic lower back pain - veteran

currently I see a physical therapist and I'm tired of getting told the same thing.
I've had chronic lower back pain that has increased greatly in the past couple years.
I've had locking in my lower left side of my vertebrae causing a lot of pain on that side, that I have to do exercises to loosen up regularly or continue feeling the sharp pain. Additionally I have a great deal of tightness and pain in my central lower back that my physical therapist tries to attribute to poor poster. I work on my poster daily. I do sit a lot and work at computers a lot so I have to constantly move and stand up to walk around so rarely do I sit for long periods of time with poor posture.
Basically my frustration is that I'm being told my pain is normal pain attributed to daily duties and posture, and that there is really nothing wrong.

Am I wrong that chronic pain is a symptom? And when I say pain I mean strong discomfort that distracts and causes me to cease doing whatever activity I am engaged in even if it's just sitting or standing I have to shift and stand or sit respectively.
I've never been referred for an x-ray or mri for my back. I've just got the usual feel up and down the spine to see if anything's out.
Any ideas out there that can help alleviate some pain or point to possible problems?

• If you haven't seen a doctor for an exam and imaging , you need to start there. If the pain is continuing despite physical therapy and no one has taken a look to see what might be causing the pain you are having, you need to see your primary doctor for further evaluation and referral if necessary. Read the link at the bottom of my post........
  • I'd suggest talking to your doctor about getting an MRI done. You might have to get an X-ray first, which can be done much quicker, but that will be up to your doctor. Some insurance companies require physical therapy be done before getting an MRI, but if you've already done physical therapy, then you may qualify for an MRI.

The advantage of an MRI is that shows soft tissue -- the discs of your spine, which are the jelly-like cushions in between your bones that are shock absorbers. Until you talk to your doctor about an X-ray or MRI, it will be very hard to determine what the problem is.

Posture does cause back pain, but there are a lot of other things that make it worse such as being overweight, smoking, poor diet, etc. Those are things you can control though and change, if you or your doctor thinks a change in one of those areas is necessary to make.
    Never quit and never give up.