Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1& Stenosis

Emma80EEmma80 Posts: 2
edited 09/11/2014 - 8:50 PM in New Member Introductions
Dear all, my name is Emma And I am 34 years old.
I have been suffering with and on again/off again bouts of lower back/hip pain.
Recently it had got worse but as I manage pain well I've just gone about my days anyway. This summer however it was really getting to me and
Finally had an MRI.
This is the summary:
"At the L5/S1 level there is a 10*13*21mm central/right para central disc extrusion extending superiorly along the posterior margin of the L5 vertebral body producing severe central canal stenosis and severe stenosis of the right lateral recess impinging the right S1 root.
There is also a broad based left foraminal/ for lateral disc protrusion measuring 4mm producing moderate left neural foramen stenosis touching the left L5 nerve root."
I have three children and fairly active lifestyle (daily horseback riding). My pain management Dr. has told me not to carry over 5 lbs, be careful twisting and bending. We are looking at doing the Epidural cortisone this Xmas or summer.
I'm getting increasingly limited in my movements to the extent that I can't push shopping carts, keep tossing and turning all night as no
way to get comfortable to sleep, it's really getting to me.
Tromadol doesn't help, I'm not really into taking pain meds anyway.
I live in a country where I would not be comfortable in an emergency situation so my concern would be if it got so bad that I needed operation stat.
I will do any pre arranged operation in the US where we have a setup.
I would be greatly thankful for any advice !

Yours sincerely, Emma

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/12/2014 - 5:35 AM

No one is qualified to advise you on the MRI. That information needs to come from your spine surgeon or other physician.
    5.13 You agree not to ask for any analysis or interpretation of diagnostic tests (ie MRI, CTScans, EMG, etc.),
    5.14 You agree not to respond to any request for analysis of diagnostic tests (ie MRI, CTScans, EMG, etc.)

That being said, are you seeing a spine surgeon? A pain management doctor is part of the treatment team but you should be consulting with a spine surgeon regarding your options for surgery or other treatment, not just relying on pain management.
    I would also suggest that you stop riding horses until you have seen a surgeon.