Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L2-L5 Lateral Fusion - Mobility Question

Brand new to the forum and have been dealing with pain since I was a teenage (now 46) My issue is instability due to DDD and have severe pain episodes that take me down. There is no rhyme or reason it just strikes and I am stuck in bed for weeks at a time. It has happened so many times over the past 15 years, I have a three week recovery routine. I've been through physical therapy, injections, chiropractors, etc... the stuff we've all gone through. Nothing seems to change, the last episode resulted in 6 weeks down and out. I can handle a little pain - heck I can handle a lot of pain. The issue is quality of life - I can't plan anything. Tomorrow I may sneeze and not be able to move for a month.

To my point, looks like we are going to fuse up L2-L3 L3-L4 L4-5 - that is a lot of back - needs to be done. The discs are oozing all over the place and disc height is greatly compromised. L5-S1 looks perfect as does L1-L2. Most of the forum have had one or two fused disc. My question is really about mobility. Right now I can move ALL over the place but there are consequences. Will I move like a robot after the big show. Looking at a Nov 6 surgery
A Greene

• Thanks - That all I needed to hear.
    A Greene
  • Welcome to Spine Health. Hope you will benefit from the forum. Now as far as your mobility question, I had an L3- S1 fusion six years ago, and aT12-S1 fusion four weeks ago. The second surgery is too close to draw any conclusions on, but based on the first one I can say that my mobility had not been effected, I just learned to move differently. Since a part of my back does not move, I bend from my hip, or rather than bending I squat with straight back to get to something. From what I read, if people would use these techniques even without back surgery there would be much fewer back problems. In other words, your fusion will not influence your mobility much.