Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Beginning of Week 5 post op L5-S1 microdisc

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster here. So two days ago marked the beginning of my 5th week post op from a L5-S1 microdiscectomy. Short back story, I had been suffering from herniated disc pain since mid 2011. Went through 2 ESIs before finally deciding to go under the knife. My first 3 weeks of recovery seemed to go incredibly well. Zero sciatic pain, minimal irritation around my incision, everything was looking up. Then labor day weekend happened. I don't know what I may or may not have done wrong, but I've suddenly begun feeling some discomfort under my right buttock when I sit down. It feels almost like someone is squeezing my thigh. The pain is no where near as bad as pre-surgery, and I'm probably blowing this out of proportion, but my number 1 fear is that I re-herniated or something. I only feel anything when I sit, I'm completely fine standing or lying down. I've also been taking ibuprofen which seems to mostly get rid of the pain for a while. Since the pain isn't that bad, I'm assuming that the area is just really irritated and that I'll heal up soon enough.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this and if so, do you have any insight as to what may be happening and what was the outcome of your situation?

Thanks all :)

• Recovery is a long path with occasional setbacks. From what you wrote I gather that essentially you are right on target. The
    small setback you mentioned could be that some of your nerves are coming alive. I am not an expert, but I think until you experience anything that really worries you (and you will know when that happens) you may just want to be aware of what is happening, especially if there are any significant changes. If that happens, it is always a good idea to get in touch with your surgeon's office. Hope everything will turn out all right for you.