Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any Opana users out there??

I take oxy and opana-well I take oxy and have alot of opana. Lol. Im sure it probably works good-especially since it's the strongest pain med u can take(dilata) but I have been routinely taking oxycodone for years now and although I still have issues with back pain on the daily-Im very familiar with my current daily regimen. other than getting the dilata IV in the hospital, I know very little about opana- as a matter of fact I didn't even know that they were one in the same until my doctor told me a month after he described it.

• Am I understanding you correctly, that your doctor prescribed you both oxycodone and opana and you are only taking the oxycodone?
    Why is that?
    Opana comes in two forms, extended release and immediate release. Extended release medications are used to provide longer lasting, more consistent blood plasma levels of opiates and better overall paiin management/control.
    Opana is an excellent pain medication , and used correctly, provides good pain control for your all day, every day pain levels.
  • Is delata the same as dilaudid? If it is I'm a bit confused, Opana is oxymorphone & Dilaudid is hydromorphone. I thought Exalgo was hydromorphone? I searched Delata because I'd never heard of it & all the results said Dilaudid.

I was just wondering because I didn't think Opana was Dilaudid....

Thanks anyone who can tell me ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/14/2014 - 4:21 AM
    English Girl........you are correct. I think that Natalie meant that she was given iV dilaudid in the hospital.
  • Thank you Sandi. I like to keep post surgery pain management in mind. I'm taking Opana, & dilaudid is a common post op med at my hospital. I like to know that there are always some narcotics that my body is 'clean' for.

Natalie. I'm taking Opana ER with Oxycodone & it's a good mix for me. I was taking morphine with morphine breakthrough & it made me feel 'dumb' & very slow. I hate having my brain effected like that. Once I got used to my new meds I found I'm much clearer & focused. I know it's a big step to start taking ER meds but as Sandi said it gives 24hour med levels. If you're taking narcotics everyday why are you so worried? Opana isn't 'The strongest med out there'. You will have other options for pain management both in hospital & orally. After my surgery a few months ago they used IV fentanyl & dilaudid with morphine.
    I like to keep my doses pretty low so when I start to experience tolerance I change meds rather than increasing doses & that works for me. A change to a lower dose of a different med gives me better pain relief.
    A doctor once told me that Hydrocodone 10mg is "as strong as it gets!", I've been told the same thing about fentanyl & OxyContin. Please don't let that kind of rhetoric stop you from taking a med that could help you function better.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Hello...
    I'm new here but have been prescribed opana in the past....
    It is a decent pain medicine yes...
    But for whatever reason, I couldn't shake the sleepy
    Feeling it caused...
    I have been on hydrocodone for years and just wanted to
    Try the opana because I worried about the APAP in hydro preparations .
    Maybe I didn't give the opana a fair enough try, but after a week of
    Feeling totally exhausted, I simply gave up and
    To this day have over half of that first fill left. Haha
    But ymmv ?
    But yes it does relieve pain okay enough