Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd Microdiscectomy: to have or not to have?!

Hi all,

new to the forum. I had a MD at L5/S1 in 2008 (age 24) after a mountain bike accident. Had surgery and made an excellent recovery. Only pain caused when I didn't look after myself, core/weight wise.

In Feb 2014 however I was out for a run and fell - I now have a re-herniation at the same level. I don't really have back pain, it just feels like someone's stabbing me or burning my leg constantly. I have been on gabapenten and neproxin for around two months.

Today I saw a neurosurgeon and he immediately said surgery. He started relaying the risks, at which point I said "you do know I've had surgery before don't you?". He didn't! This left me uneasy and the appointment went downhill from there.

I then went to pre-op assessment where I asked if my previous surgeon still worked at the hospital - I had great confidence in him back in 2008 and he understood the impact it had on my life, particularly as a young active person. He is a spinal surgeon (not neuro) so that is why I hadn't been put back in his care. The nurse in pre-op saw I was upset so I will now be getting a 2nd opinion from my last surgeon...plus hopefully I'll get put back in his care if I push enough.

I'm now 31, can't work (I'm a teacher), I can't train properly, and to be perfectly honest I am terrified of going back a 2nd time. After 6 yrs surely there will be more complications with scar tissue etc.

Any advice or opinions from anybody? Are 2nd MD's successful? Should I have injections? I'm normally a decisive person, but with this, I really don't know what to do.