Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 wks postop lumbar fusion l4l5 increasing pain on right side of back

I had my surgery Aug 21 and the first 2 days were easy. I have had ups and downs since including a readmit with pleurisy and atalectisis. Last Monday I overdue it - walked 3.8 km. With a 15 minute break in the middle and then went out in evening mostly standing, walking or sitting for short periods. Needless to say my pain got worse and I had to take pain meds 3 times in 24 hours. I took it easy for the next few days but resumed shorter walks. ASIDE from my back issues I also Have rheumatoid arthritis and have taken daily ant-inflammatory since age 28 (now 60). I have had to stop them as kidney function appears to be getting worse. I had been back to taking only 1 oxi-ir 5 at bedtime, but since Thursday have had increasing pain to the right side of my incision which is worse when I try to get up from my recliner or out of bed. Pain is so intense I yell, but once I am moving it is tolerable. I can't help worrying about whether I have damaged something on that side. Any thoughts? It is a week-end so not sure what to do. My GP was pleased with me on Thursday and we restarted methotrexate for my RA.

• Linda,
    Hello just noticed we had our surgery on the same day. I am not sure how your surgery went, mine was longer than anticipated, and I had a blood transfussion plus bad facial swelling and horrible pain. I didn't know I was going in for Decompression (laminectomy) and thought it would be just a Discectomy and fusion of L5S1 but both L4 &L5 were bad so they had to be removed and then replaced with hardware spacers with bone graft and fused.
    My first night after surgery, I was in horrible pain, I had nerve pain in legs and pain in the incision site.
    I researched the fusion but not the decompression or multi level fusion. I had not prepared enough for this pain. I was unable to get up with out help and knew I needed to try to move as much as possible, I managed to use the bathroom 4 hours after surgery when being placed in my hospital room.
    I have been doing walking since day 8 , when the stitches came out, although I was off almost all pain meds until today when this morning I woke up again in throbbing legs feet calve pain again and I had to take the strong stuff again, hadn't needed them in 5 days so feel a set back.
    In reality, I remain in degrees of pain since before surgery.
    From what I have read here and other sites of Spinal Surgery Info is that the incision pain is still from Muscle walls healing and that can take time. I know the pain in legs are from nerves moved from the discs that were pushing on them, and will be giving me some issues.. A lot of healing still going on.

Pain or no pain, I do push walking and do a mile at least 3 times a day and trying to less walking with cane but still need it to feel stabilize.
    In between the oxycodone and Tylenol I use heat and ice, the incision is still swollen. I keep a spandex brace on when at home rather than parachute brace issued after surgery. I am not doing housework or any shopping at all. Not driving yet, dont want to take chances of my surgery failing so when I am not walking I am lying flat on back.

I find that everyone is different in healing as I get deeper in forum threads from last year. But if you are still feeling bad and unsure i would contact your doctor.
    Good luck with your healing,
    8/21/2014 Laminectomy, double discectomy w/multiple hardware, & multi level fusion, L4,L5,S1 (PLIF)
  • Wow! My staples didn't come out til day 14! I have been using a cane around the house but walker when I am out walking just in case I need to stop and sit for a rest. I am impressed with how, much you are walking. My longest was 3.8 kilometres return trip and when I get home all my body seems to want to do is sleep. I am avoiding Tylenol because it is hard on both liver and kidneys. Today I took Valium 5mg for the spasms and it pretty much knocked me out. I don't take anything for pain when taking Valium and have taken 2.5 mg tonight. Typically nightime is when I need meds. I keep reminding myself to soldier on and stay positive. I too use ice, heat and TENS. I was warned day of surgery that my face would be bloated from lying face down and I surely was. I also had nasty abrasions on my face from pressing against the oxygen mask.While I was in hospital I also developed altered sensation in my right leg which I was told was because of my position in surgery. It has been very annoying, but I am told it will go away eventually. My pre-surgery nerve pain in butt and down to knees, is thankfully gone.