Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Disabled Boy

JohnJJohn Posts: 964
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Good News
My disabled son who has two lower prosthetics, is the 6th fastest S7 swimmer in the world and now has a qualifying time for the Para Olympics and double national swimming champion, just over a year ago was in a coma for four weeks, this element of his health is improving and he is an inspiration to me in all that he does and I am so proud of his achievements.

He is very unassuming, he is learning computing at college and has won student of the year!!! we are going to the ceremony today, my avatar is in recognition of his tenacity and wonderful achievements, his resilience and serenity in adversity is something I value deeply.

He is teaching me.

Take care, John.

• Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us a little about your son.It comes across loud and clear just how proud you are of him and you have every right to be. Tell him a big CONGRATS and enjoy this wonderful day.... :)
  • John,

Sometimes it takes hearing something like that to make me amazed at the world again. The pride you feel for your son is palpable and there is no doubt that he will go far in this life, disability or not. His accomplishments speak volumes about the amount of support and love he must have from his home life and you should feel good, not just for him, but for the fact that you've given him the room to do all of it.

You have a special place in heaven sir,

• He won !!! $500, I did encourage him and learning to ride a bike with two false legs and one hand was never easy, if he fell off once he fell off one hundred time and always got back on it was emotional to see never to give up or give in. Computers beckoned and he would take them apart and put them back together, I went to use mine and he had taken all the functional bits for his own, oh how I laughed inside. Yes griff he is a survivor and a testament of what can be done with the right attitude with is attainable for all, it would be understandable if he complained and he is a positive role model for me and others.

A local charity is supporting his quest to continue training in swimming, and even the word proud does not begin to measure the delight all my children in each special way are contributing to our family and others.

• CONGRATULATIONS! John, tou must be very proud to be his Dad.

Best wishes for continuing success!

Kin :) :) :)
  • awesome accomplishments...he must have a great dad standing behind him cheering him on!
  • Thanks for the story John! It puts a lot of things into prospective in my own life. ;)
  • John, that is incrediable. With so much dismal news anymore to hear something as great as that is AWESOME! Let your son know that I for one am proud of both you and him for his accomplishments. The both of you truly are inspirations to us all. Lets us all know that if we put our mind to it we can do anything with our new lifes! Thanks again for the AWESOME post.

• John, this is a wonderful post! It is very heartwarming, and I just want to say that you write very well, very expressively. You should write a memoir...this is the kind of stuff that makes it to the New York Times Bestsellers list, and think of how wonderful it makes you feel to put it to words here...I would read it!
  • good to see your son won in his event for the Para Olympics .you take care...
  • John, Congratulations to your son. This is so awsome, what a wonderful son you have and a wonderful blessing!
    You sound like a wonderful father who deserves to be so very proud of his son, I'm sure as your son is so proud of you too.

God's blessings to you!

Lotus :)
  • Great post John. Had my eyes welling up after that heart warming story. You have every reason to be proud of his accomplisments as well as your support.
  • You must be setting a great example! Congratulated him for us, and Keep us posted!--Mazy
  • Wow, that is amazing! I can't believe how much he is acomplishing!
  • I missed this post somehow - that is fantastic news!! So what has he moved on to now?? Thanks so much for sharing that good news story!

• im happy to hear that you have good news about your son, he is clearly no going to let any injury or disability hold him back, just reading that made me tear up a little, it makes me think that if your son can accomplish so much that hope might not be lost for me. keep us updated in any more accomplishments and once again congradulations.
  • This post is about us all and more than one individual, in what we can achieve with an improving and managed emphasis, we may not all be national champions nevertheless we all attain every day, our own gold medal of survival. Evolution intimates that we are the teachers of our children and for me my son is teaching me how to cope in adversity, through never giving up and having that just do it attitude, how could I not do it in his name for myself, if he can do this I am mandated to show an example.

Our tears are reflective of that eternal hope that whatever our ills we will survive, our children love us unconditionally and that flag of hope will never waver as we march forward. He is measured by what he says and what he does not say, he has more reason than I to complain and how do you become that strong at such a tender age.

Our goals are equally valid and even when times become tougher we have adapted to challenging circumstance, we have a winner in us all, it may be opaque and we should seek support and guidance to develop its visibility.

I meet talented children every day who have skills that go unnoticed, that momentary elation of success is infectious, it has been tradition for the last swimmer in a race to be applauded in a crescendo of emotion where partaking is seen as equally important and recognised. A day of that, is a roller coaster of emotion and never to be forgotten.

Make your goals today for tomorrow, acknowledge your achievements and be kind to yourself. If his story has encouraged anyone, then that is sufficient and I too share that welling up and one tear of joy down my cheek.

John x

• That there are good parents like You in this world.Parents who can see beyond their childs disability and to the person within.The wonder of it all.That we love our children not because of,but in spite of any problems they may have.

You are a true testiment that a son says 'dad' and not simply father... :)))
  • Better that society see the gifts that we all have, rather than a fleeting measure of our worth by the things that we have or not, the aesthetic continues to be a factor, I have befriended a homeless man who has more humility and humanity than those who deride his appearance and non conformity. An angel is disguise, even my younger children feel some responsibility for his welfare this Christmas, and I am overwhelmed by his kindness, he has nothing.

So I am not doing this alone, and am seeking the right teachers.

I hope in my lifetime we do see a step-change in equality for all.

• =D> this is such a wonderful post!!!!
    it makes us all feel so overwellemed!!!
    being a parent is the most wonderful experience any off us could possibly ever have.
    i just love my kids!!!
    so glad to see this post here.
    well done john to you and you family!!! =D> =D>
    =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

LOVE P
  • What a wonderful story to read on this early Thanksgiving morning.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    John, I really need to hear things like this. especially on a personal bad day. My problems are minuscule.
    Thanks, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Yes,I enjoy this thread... :)))

And John,how was your friend (the homeless man) during the Holidays?

I hope you all enjoyed them :H

• Hi thanks for asking Robin

He is called Alan and is seeing a counsellor today 8th, it was -6 here I was out Christmas Eve looking for him with some food and coffee, no luck. He has lived on the streets for 15 years and will not go to a hostel, he went to a private school and had his name embroidered on his clothes, lived if France for a while and was a manager in London. He does have some MH issues and my role is to support him in what he wants and not change him, even my son saw him in town and gave him some of his money, that made me so proud.

I am still unclear how his situation reflects on my own and gives it some perspective, I continue to try to help and not become intrusive, when we say thing could not be worse perhaps I reflect on his comment of how he does not fully understand how he is where he is today.

Jim, every situation is important to that individual and we should not diminish our own needs whatever they are, they are important to us, your 39 year journey is a testament to your own strength and character. Your kind words of support help us all and long may that continue, hope you are feeling better.

Have a better day, life is for living.

Take care John x
  • It's a funny thing...perspective is.I do hope that Alan found a warm,safe,and dry place to lay his head.I often think of the homeless and the people who have less than myself,and want so much to help in some way.I've always felt that was my calling & yet I know that I don't do enough to help.I don't have much,but I have so much-if that makes any sense.

I can almost picture you driving around looking for him..well actually I can picture it.In my imagination it would be snowing and the streets are pretty lonely and quiet Christmas Eve.The coffee steaming.It's too bad you didn't see him,on the other hand maybe he was enjoying himself.

Your son must have a bit of the artist in his soul(maybe his dad does too).How nice of him to give like he did.

Even as a kid in school,when our teachers would ask where we planned to be in 5 years I always felt like it was a silly question.Too much happened in my young life and I knew life could change in a heartbeat.Of course we can plan,as long as we remember to be flexable and bend with the wind.
  • Im so happy for what your son is accomplishing john....its really nice and overwhelming to read a story like this........ :*
  • John - what a tremendous post! I felt my own heart pound with excitement, and my feelings of joy overflow for your son as I read his accomplishments. What a wonderful, wonderful son God has blessed you with! You too must be given a pat on the back for all your years of hard work in your teaching, guidance and encouragement for him.

You sound like a wonderful person yourself; not everyone today would take the time to look for a homeless man on Christmas Eve. I hope the counseling helps him, and I am sure he realizes what a gem he has in you!

• Suzy,
    Yes I too at times become overwhelmed by it all, nurturing any child is a responsibility and non more so when that are disabled, they fly the nest and I still await his return with nonchalant aplomb, He has acknowledged his circumstance and making the best and more of his situation, he has that verve for life and he has developed that by his own effort and tenacity. In those early days we were apprehensive about his future and he is seen in what he can do and not what he cannot, nothing is unachievable and that is down to his attitude, if the current objective is unattainable, he works around that and adapts to every changing opportunities and new challenge.

I stepped back some time ago and we all watch our children step forward into adolescence, a fond and exciting time. He is his own person now and he has the acumen to do anything of his choosing and as ever I still cheer from the sidelines, welled with emotion and wonderment.

Take care and thank you for all your support.

• My son started his first job this week and I am so proud of his achievements, my friend Alan is Ok and I have to remind myself that this is his life style and even though he suggests how things will change, in reality my feeble efforts in tentative support seem inadequate, he asked to borrow my phone and has never asked for anything over this two year period.

I try to stay positive and acknowledge his situation and plight when as you say I do not want to be emotional in his company and feel that need to be strong for him. I too equate that homeless analogy you mention of others looking the other way and even saying inappropriate comments, it is a measure of me not to walk past, and face my own questions.

This is just a guy who has fallen on hard times and reflective of my own grandfather who’s outstretched hand of need was ignored at the time.

Take care and save those gloves.

• John,

Thanks for updating us on your incredible son's success. Congratulations to both of you, to him, that he did not give up, and to you, for giving him support. What an achievement!

Your friend, Alan's story reminds me of that recent film, I believe it was called The Soloist, about a homeless, classically trained musician living on the streets of L.A. who befriended a journalist, and they became very good friends. Very heart warming indeed.

Please keep us posted about your son's progress.

best to all of you,